Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

Melteddrummer said

jezzer said

Yomp said

No it's not thick compared to the yellowy rubbery underseal originally applied but is thick compared to paint.

I applied the 121 and then applied stonechip over the top of it where VW had originally applied a thicker layer and finished it with a Dinatrol black wax which is similar to the wax they put on last thing in the factory after the car had been built.

There's a 3m product which is a 2 part product that you mix together in its own contained crisp bag which is meant to be really thick. I think The guy restoring the swallowtail on here used it.

Only time can tell whether the 121 is any good or any other product for that matter but I was impressed the way the 121 adhered to the bare metal. Seemed like it would never come off.
I've just used the 3M 2 part product on the underside of my restoration and it goes on lovely and thick. You split the bag at the bottom to mix product with hardener. Connect the spray gun supplied and connect to air supply. Great product but expensive. Retail is £17 a bag but mate who has his own body shop got it for £12 a bag.

Cheers for the info. How far does a bag go? how many bags for the underside is needed?

I did the underside, the inner wings and rear arches. The bags don't go very far at all, used about 12 in total.

Back to the top
How thick does it go on compared to the original VW rubberised stuff?

Also, will a small DIY compressor be man enough to spray it on?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
We should start a new thread on the 3m product! :lol: I am interested in it to, and something I have concidered spraying on mine. Where can you buy it from? I had a look a few weeks back but couldn't find anywhere. :(

Back to the top
No, I don't think we've hijacked Andy's thread quite enough just yet!  :lol:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
 :ocf_emoticons__2guns:  :ocf_emoticons__2guns:  :ocf_emoticons__2guns:  keep out you hijackers or I'll get the  :ocf_emoticons__borg: to assimilate you!! Resistance is futile!!! :ocf_emoticons__icon_rolleyes:

Jimievo said

We should start a new thread on the 3m product! :lol: I am interested in it to, and something I have concidered spraying on mine. Where can you buy it from? I had a look a few weeks back but couldn't find anywhere. :(

I posted a link on the last page mate  :thumbs:

Back to the top
:lol:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Small update peeps.

Been doing more work on the main floor. Keyed the floor then applied seam sealer, I just used the brush on stuff from my local auto panels shop. This stuff is like treacle :lol:  I had to cut the bristles down on the brush before I could apply it.

Then the epoxy mastic 121 went on, I've only done the front inner arches and the main floor as I was itching to see how it went on and it went on really nice, I brushed it on as I don't yet have a spray gun.

I can tell by the way it went on that this stuff is good, it really takes a hold and seems to suck itself into the cracks.

FYI, when I bought the epoxy 121, I got the 1 litre option. To finish the floor and rear arches I'm going to need more, not sure if it would go a lot further if you sprayed it but just letting people know in case they are buying it. I figure I'll be using the stuff on other parts anyway, so whatever is left will come in handy.

Cheers, Andy.

Back to the top
Looking good!!!

Sticker Pig

Back to the top
Andy, is the floor staying in the epoxy, or are you painting over it with the main body colour?

Back to the top
Not going over with  main body colour. I'll be getting some rubberised stonechip of some description, mainly to keep road noise down a bit, then when it comes back from the painters I'll apply some wax to the underside, arches, inside the sills, inside the rear wheel tubs and in the floor rail thingies, just to make sure it's sealed :lol:  :lol:  and to top it off, when the car is done, it's only coming out in the dry :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
I'll second the 1 litre option isn't enough to do the entire underside - even when sprayed.

Back to the top
Rust is not welcome back!!  :lol:

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Rust is not welcome back!!  :lol:

Exactomundo :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hey paint Andy - nice one!! Finish looks good on the 121 brushed on

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Good work Andy. Looking good buddy  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
That looks rubbish !!  :lol:Just kidding … Looking good mate 

Last edit: by Cero

Back to the top

Cero said

That looks rubbish !!  :lol:Just kidding … Looking good mate 

:ocf_emoticons__2guns:

Been back down tonight and made a styart on the fuel breather pipe hole, not sure if they are all the same but the way mine is it will let water straight in to the sill. There's a gaping hole probably 5mm or so which before was filled with sealer. My plan is to plate it out so nothing can get in.

Back to the top
Been sorting the rear arches this weekend, getting them ready for the epoxy 121. The nearside arch had to be taken back to bare metal as it was still in the black paint it came in. I then etch primed it and seam sealed it. :thumbs:

Back to bare metal

Hole not needed so made a patch and welded it over the top

made patch and applied weld thru primer to the back side

welded up

etch primed the whole arch

seam sealed

I've also bared the metal on the rear cross member ready for new paint etc. I've had to apply rust treatment first, which I will leave over night.

I really need this car back on it's wheels soon so I can get the engine fitted before she goes off for paint.

Here's how she is sitting at the minute :cool:

Cheers, Andy :cool:

Back to the top
:ocf_emoticons__notworthy:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Amazing work dude  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
There are too many online users to list.