Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

mk1_Dips said

good job on all the repairs andy, would have scared the s### out of me!!  O_o

Cheers Dips i've s**t a few times already lol :lol: getting there now though, just a few niggles welding wise, then I'm going to trial fit the engine, got the engine mount to move etc, then off to the painters :party:

Back to the top
haha wondered what that nasty pong was!!  :lol:

hope you're sticking with Mars red  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Yeah Mars red all the way!! it's the fastest colour!! :ninja:

Back to the top
You cant beat the shine from s nice polished mars red golf. :thumbs:

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top

Cero said

Andy I think it's just a build up of oil, friction material and dirt that gets in there, use some Mr Muscle oven cleaner on it then a power wash and you'll see a big difference.

Top tip - would not have thought to try that!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

mk1_Dips said

good job on all the repairs andy, would have scared the s### out of me!!  O_o

Cheers Dips i've s**t a few times already lol :lol: getting there now though, just a few niggles welding wise, then I'm going to trial fit the engine, got the engine mount to move etc, then off to the painters :party:

Hats off to you andy, you've definitely saved this car from the scrap yard, will feel great when it's finished. Are you close to the painting stage?

Back to the top
Not too far mate, would like it done before the winter starts, I know that :thumbs:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Not too far mate, would like it done before the winter starts, I know that :thumbs:

Yeah, winter is bad. The barn mines in has a 2 foot thick concrete floor, makes it like a massive fridge, got down to -14 last winter, fine when you're hot and welding, sh#te trying to rebuild cars  :lol:  

looking forward to seeing yours all in primer, will look great after all the work you've done.

Back to the top
Aye cold garages and spray painting doesn't go. And you wont be able to hang that up in the bedroom to dry once you've painted it, like I did with my grill surround.  :lol:

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
Very true Macca :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
Holy Jeebus!! Thats some serious welding skills!! Didn't quite realise how intricate the sills and the other box sections were.. Inspirational work, makes me want to go out right now and buy a welder!!

My shell is pretty much completelly rust free (not trying to gloat I promise), but after seeing your work, i'm now scared to death that it's all rotten in to bits in the areas I can't see lol!!

I'm in the process of taking the car back to bare metal, but was going to leave the floor as it was, after seeing this, it'ss all coming off lol ALL OF IT!

Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next update.

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
Thanks for the kind words Alfie. You'd be surprised what can be hiding under the underseal. The underseal doesn't last forever, that's one thing I've found out!!

Bit of a small update, Firstly, I cleaned the 02a gearbox up a bit, man that thing was manky O_o  I bought some glass beads so I can blast it off properly before paint

I've managed to repair that nasty little hole next to the steering rack mount, it's not the prettiest but it's strong and water tight which were my main concerns!

Patched up

welded the gusset back in which I removed to gain access

Painted with etch primer

Next bit is to repair the N/S floor at the front, going to make it the same as the O/S.

Here's the O/S as an example

Will be doing the N/S exactly the same way, here it is as it is now

Rotten plate removed

That's how I left her tonight, I'll be back in tomorrow night for some more resto action :ninja:

Had a couple of deliveries today too, my third engine mount from epytec arrived so got all three now!

New rear panel from VWH  :thumbs:

Think that's it for now, another update tomorrow hopefully, cheers all.

Andy.

Back to the top
Good work Andy  :thumbs:

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Never got down the unit tonight but another new addition for the conversion arrived tonight, another bit off the list :cool:

Back to the top
Ooo a hair drier!  :lol:

Looks good Andy ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Ooo a hair drier!  :lol:

Looks good Andy ;)

Honestly mate, there's no need for a hair drier in this house lol :lol:

Back to the top
Same here - although I do own one - and straighteners!!  :lol:

(For when my daughter visits - honest!  :cool: )

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Another update peeps. This weekend I've been working on the N/S front foot well as mentioned earlier. Got it finished so something else crossed off the list - the list is getting smaller :thumbs: .

Yesterday afternoon started like this, the patch in the pic was one of the first repairs I did to the car! Don't know how I was ever happy with it tbh O_o  

Cut the rotten plate off

Never took a pic before but I removed previous repair patch, welded it back on to the original repair panel and had to cut a bit more of the floor away as the rot was spreading. Tacked into position..

seam welded the outside

Then I made a new front plate thingy, I always make the repair plate 5mm bigger all the way round, then shape it

Welded in place

dressed back a bit and added the cup thingy(excuse the terminology) at the front and new sill lip.

Inside the car fully seam welded too

Here's a view of both repairs to the front floor

That.s it for now peeps. :thumbs:

Cheers, Andy.

Back to the top
Another repair to be proud of ;) You'll be driving it before you know it!

Oh to have a spit and space for a resto!  :(

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.