Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

The Torques products are awesome bits of kit !! Like you said , well made and at a reasonable price.
  The braided hose is top notch too.

Ad.

Back to the top

Baggie82 said

The Torques products are awesome bits of kit !! Like you said , well made and at a reasonable price.

Ad.

All my hose and fittings is from torques, its really great stuff, the guy who runs it lives quite near to me. I think he just copies other manufacturers and sells for reasonable money on eBay.

My brake lines are soon to be made up with stainless braided AN3 teflon coated line and stainless fittings, front to back from torques. Made a hydro clutch line up a while ago and its been perfect.

He offers discount once you've ordered a certain amount from him too. His discounts work on order history.  :thumbs:

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
That's a tidy looking piece of kit Andy #3  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yeah it's quality mate. I have bought all my hose and fittings from Torques, wouldn't shop anywhere else now.

Joe90k I'm thinking of going down the braided brake line route too, won't cost too much tbh, it'll be a lot easier to fit as well!

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Yeah it's quality mate. I have bought all my hose and fittings from Torques, wouldn't shop anywhere else now.

Joe90k I'm thinking of going down the braided brake line route too, won't cost too much tbh, it'll be a lot easier to fit as well!

Cost me just over £150 for everything. I have a load of weird fittings too because of my m/c's on the bias pedal box and remote servo being imperial. Track cars use it, so why not on a road car. Stainless steel is far more corrosion resistant than kunifer, easier to work with and looks better once installed IMO.

Car looks spot on btw mate, bet you can't wait to drive it now!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Bargain that Joe!! Yeah man, stainless ftw!!

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Have you got a link for them, can't seem to find them

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Is that braided hose a special two way hose?

If not, where is the fuel return line?

Cheers.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Melteddrummer said

Have you got a link for them, can't seem to find them

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Torques-U-K

He only sells on eBay.

:thumbs:

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top

penarthur66 said

Cheers.

I think most hose is two way mate.. lol

Andy hasn't put the return line in yet.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top

Joe90k said

Baggie82 said

Ad.

All my hose and fittings is from torques, its really great stuff, the guy who runs it lives quite near to me. I think he just copies other manufacturers and sells for reasonable money on eBay.

My brake lines are soon to be made up with stainless braided AN3 teflon coated line and stainless fittings, front to back from torques. Made a hydro clutch line up a while ago and its been perfect.

He offers discount once you've ordered a certain amount from him too. His discounts work on order history.  :thumbs:

Will the Teflon hose be ok with the brake fluid ? I've got a small resevoir on mine for the hydraulic clutch which was using fuel hose and noticed the fluid seeping through. Had to change the hose to a neoprene one now and is fine. 

Ad. 

Back to the top

Baggie82 said

Joe90k said

Baggie82 said

Ad.

Will the Teflon hose be ok with the brake fluid ? I've got a small resevoir on mine for the hydraulic clutch which was using fuel hose and noticed the fluid seeping through. Had to change the hose to a neoprene one now and is fine. 

Ad. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-3-JIC-3-1-8-I-D-Stainless-Braided-Clear-PVC-Coated-Teflon-Brake-Hose-1m-/360933510457?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5409504d39

Taken from eBay listing mate:-

Applications when used in conjunction with the AN-3 Teflon Hose fittings:

Brake Lines, Clutch Lines, Fuel Systems, Turbo oil feed Hose, Coolant Systems, Oil Pressure Systems, Gauge lines & Power Steering. Compatibility: Brake Fluids, Unleaded Petrol, Methanol, Water, & Oil. Ideal for use with Unleaded fuel

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
I'll be using Teflon for my brakes, also using it for the fuel, it was recommended by Torques :thumbs:

Back to the top

penarthur66 said

Cheers.

Yeah mate as Joe says the return hasn't been fitted yet. Still got the cradle brackets to sort out as I cut them off and forgot to weld them back on furing the resto :|

Back to the top
Will you drill holes and bolt a bracket on?

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

penarthur66 said

Cheers.

Yeah mate as Joe says the return hasn't been fitted yet. Still got the cradle brackets to sort out as I cut them off and forgot to weld them back on furing the resto :|

You're a lucky lucky man, I can only dream of when my '83 GTI looks like that….

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Will you drill holes and bolt a bracket on?

Yes Matt, I'll be drilling holes, might be something you should consider before final paint on yours! I've already bolted mine on with one bolt but the thing keeps spinning so I'm gonna make a different one with 2 holes in to stop it turning :)

penarthur66 said

Melteddrummer said

penarthur66 said

Cheers.

You're a lucky lucky man, I can only dream of when my '83 GTI looks like that….

I'm lucky now mate yeah but it's taken nearly 2 years to get to this stage :lol:  

Back to the top

Joe90k said

Baggie82 said

Joe90k said

Baggie82 said

Ad.

Ad.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-3-JIC-3-1-8-I-D-Stainless-Braided-Clear-PVC-Coated-Teflon-Brake-Hose-1m-/360933510457?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5409504d39

Taken from eBay listing mate:-

Applications when used in conjunction with the AN-3 Teflon Hose fittings:

Brake Lines, Clutch Lines, Fuel Systems, Turbo oil feed Hose, Coolant Systems, Oil Pressure Systems, Gauge lines & Power Steering. Compatibility: Brake Fluids, Unleaded Petrol, Methanol, Water, & Oil. Ideal for use with Unleaded fuel

Lol ! I was thinking of the black nylon braided hose :P

Back to the top
nice one coming along nicely now

Back to the top
Cheers Simon :thumbs:

Another small update from today. Picked my gearbox up from having the Wavetrac LSD fitted. I'm glad I went ahead with the new diff as the old one was knackered by all accounts. The box was full of what can only be described as pond water lol and all the planet gears were damaged by water compression! Anyway it's all back together and fitted to the engine again.

Also fitted the wish bones which have been stitch welded for a bit extra strength. Fitted the front Weitec anti-roll bar as well, not too impressed with the bushes that came with the ARB, gonna get some proper ones for the ends :)

Return to fuel tank fitted

Made a new stainless fuel pump bracket thingy as the old one was a bit tired. Still got another support bracket to make for the pump.

That's it for no peeps :ninja:

There are too many online users to list.