Skip navigation

1983 Standard GTI Concours 42000miles

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

How much was the Ferrari being sold for?

19k o.n.o.
I've got his number if your interested?? :ninja:
New exhaust manifolds fitted at £1100
New cam belts at £800
….and fitted with the good old faithful Bosch K-Jet injection!

Back to the top
Bit out of my price range mate ;)

Looks retro-tastic though. Makes me want to put my suit jacket on and roll the sleeves up :lol:

Back to the top
19k doesn't sound too bad, still out of my price range as well but probably a good investment though.

Back to the top
I saw that Alfa last Sunday at a Brighton car show - I'm guessing it's the same one as you don't see too many of those! I love it!  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Just had an email from the original owner saying he had been having a clear out of a draw at home and had found the original spare keys for the car and will post them out to me.
Nice gesture I thought as I've never met him but have emailed him a few photos over the years of the resto.
I hope to go and see him one day with the car.

Back to the top
Faith in humanity restored. Very decent of him :thumbs:

Back to the top
The original owner must have been well pleased to discover his mk1 Golf had been restored, and to such a high standard - I know I would have been.   Imagine how chuffed he'd be to be reunited with the 'Black Bullet'.

Back to the top
I'm hoping he finds a photo of it at some point and did ask him when I first had the car but he couldn't remember if he had actually taken any in 23 years of ownership lol!
I think it was "just a car" to him.

Back to the top
I tried to contact all of the previous owners, letters written to them all but all returned unanswered.

Hope he's pleased with your motor. 

Back to the top
Oh that's great news!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
The front grill on the car has been letting it down as its quite faded in places.
I've tried various liquids and potions but none of them touch it. Even shelled out £25 on a little bottle of Gtechniq but that didn't touch it.
I'm looking for a brand new genuine grill for it and had chance of one when I went to MIVW Holland earlier in the year but I never had enough cash on me and the guys card machine wouldn't accept my cards:ocf_emoticons__BangHead:Anyway messing with various methods yesterday I found the best way is to rub the grille slats with greased up p2000 wrapped around the screwed up corner of a microfibre. (Initially I was using my finger until I got a blister!) I then found wrapping a small strip of P2000 gets into the corners better.

Once it been rubbed for a while I added a bit of WD40 to keep the paper from clogging.

I'm going to give it another go over the next day or so but you can see by the photos the difference.

Took me about 2 hours thoughO_o(Note to self - take more cash to foreign VW shows in future!)

You can see on the right the faded grill and on the left is where I've polished it with the P2000 and WD40.

Back to the top

Yomp said

Initially I was using my finger until I got a blister!

Hummmmm!!!!!!! :lol:

Back to the top
Patience of a saint!  :lol:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I took mine off in 2006, washed it in the kitchen sink and then used the Auto Glyn bumper and plastic renovator stuff. 

It came up well and still washes clean easily.

Mum wasn't too chuffed at the mess I made though!! (I was back home, aged 40 at the time - still getting 'done'!!!) 

Back to the top
First trip out of the new season and managed to bag "Best Concours" at Ultimate Dubs.

With huge thanks to the MK1OC for a great weekend once again, congratulations on their own win and in particular a big up to Anna for her dedication in ensuring the club truly stands out from the rest at these shows.:thumbs:

Back to the top
Well done on the trophy dude and does it not scratch the grill as mine needs a Reno 

Back to the top
Congrats on the trophy Graham - well deserved. Your car looks like it's just rolled out of the showroom.

Back to the top

bugs-gti said

Well done on the trophy dude and does it not scratch the grill as mine needs a Reno 

Thanks.
Really fine wet n dry p2000 for the grill didn't scratch it.

Back to the top

watson said

Congrats on the trophy Graham - well deserved. Your car looks like it's just rolled out of the showroom.

Thanks Dave :thumbs:

Back to the top
Well done mate, bet you were well chuffed with that, out of interest was that S3 next to your car in the picture up for concours? If so surely thats cheating!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.