Skip navigation

Carburettor base flange Keeps "tearing"

Back to the top

I'm hoping I'm making a mistake somewhere that can be pointed out by someone with experience

The issue:

The base flange for my pierburg 2e has a crack on the side opposite the ait intake.

The details:
I have replaced it twice now and was assuming it was due to my overtightening or due to some weight distribution issue with the air filter but I said I would ask and see if anyone has experienced the same issues of can see my mistake.

20240610_221619.jpg

Above I attach an image of what the worst example of the base flange tearing looks like.

I have gotten about 300 miles out of it before any damage starts to show after each replacement so far.

20240610_211229.jpg

This image then shows the carburettor base flange without the air intake on top. This side does not tear at first but once the other side becomes bad enough, this one gives way also.

20240610_205353.jpg

This image shows the air intake all fitted back on. My original assumption was that the lopsided nature of this was casing the issue. I have not been able to prove this so maybe if someone could provide advice from there experience.

The shake of the carburettor on startup

And this video shows how much the system shakes when you start up. I don't think this is the issue but I provide it as a reference incase it is.

The base flange part I have been using is this one, incase that is my issue.
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/052129765e-carburettor-base-flange-for-1-3-engines.html
Any advice appreciated.

And the car is a 1.3 Golf Mark 2 CL registered in 1990

Thanks
20240616_110435.jpg

Last edit: by Beautysleep

Back to the top
Is it supposed to be what looks to me Warped?

as the carp sits over the exhaust, I would say to shield the intake from the Exhaust, reduces heat fatigue.

I would also ask about the base of the Carb as is it flat or curved or warped, then you may want to check the base of the carb for Square as well as the base of the intake that it too is flat, square and not warped.

I will say that I am used to SU carbs, and webbers and carter carbs on american autos or all shapes sizes and hp displacements.  Once upon a tine I was asked my opinion, and I said gimmee a minute and well the base mount of his intake wasn't square or flat.  

If it is curved as the design then does the Carb seat correctly without rocking before you bolt it down, annd are you using the proper torque when tightening, as VW was usually specific to torque limits of things…Can't knuckle tighten things or elbow torque.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for replying,

I'm confident the four surfaces were flat and meeting each other well and there was no rocking but I didn't inspect it very very closely so I'll check that thanks.

And Ill ensure to use the torque next time after checking the surface is flat.

I'll update once I know more

Back to the top
Use a sheet of glass and some engineers blue to check that all components are flat. One of the components must be warped. It's the only explanation
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.