Skip navigation

Clipper Cabby 1.8 Automatic

Back to the top

Peirburg 2 E Carburettor Problems https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/themes/default/images_custom/ocf_emoticons__BangHead.gif

IMG-20181017-WA0003.jpg IMG-20181017-WA0006 (1).jpg IMG-20181017-WA0007 (1).jpg IMG-20181017-WA0009 (1).jpg IMG-20181017-WA0013 (1).jpg We have a 1990 MK1 Clipper Cabby 1.8 Automatic with severe carb problems. I bought the car 4 years ago for my wife but we've still never driven it between one thing and another but mainly due to carb issues. It has the Peirburg 2E (A 107) also stamped on it, not sure if it's relevant. I gave it to a friend who had it 2 years and never managed to get it running properly despite claiming to have overhauled the carb.

When I eventually got fed up and took it back it was revving its face off on idle and could barely be driven. I have tried in vain to find a new carb without success. My own carb has some kind of sensor on that has since fallen apart where the plastic became brittle so I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me its proper name and where I might buy that part. I was also told that the automatic has a different carb to the manual, is this correct?

I'm ok mechanically but I'm really a body man so any help or advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks! 203.jpeg 206.jpeg 209.jpeg

Back to the top
Yes there is a difference between automatic and manual Pierburg carbs. Can you put up a specific photo of the broken part that you are looking for. I have a few in pieces here. Pierburgs can be rebuilt at great expense. If you have not enjoyed the car for various reasons have you also considered a change of carb to a Weber. Hence why I have carbs in pieces. I've swapped to a Weber. I expect even if you are a body man with a basic set of tools(and a new carb base gasket) you could fit the Weber and have it driving in a weekend. If you do purchase a Weber ensure it is for an automatic. What you will also purchase is a new item and not everyone's previous problems and fixes.

Back to the top
For one that rebuilt it he didn't clean a thing…
When I rebuild carbs, I clean it totally up…where it would look brandy newish.

Since I am a Digifant guy or a Diesel head I will stop now as I can't add anything significant save for the vacuum hoses don't look new, and well these guys hate vacuum leaks.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
The throttle linkage is different for the automatic but is easily swopped over onto a manual carburettor. The sensor you talk about, the only thing that looks like a sensor is the carburettor heater.  It has a single wire coming off it. Things that can cause high idle on the carburettor are, choke not functioning either electrically or via the coolant hoses. The wax stat is seized or coolant is not flowing through it. The 3/4 point unit is not functioning. Carburettor set up incorrectly. Check for vacuum leaks at the rubber base of the carburettor and all the rubber hoses. Check coolant is flowing through the choke and wax stat. Check the electrics are all working to the carburettor. There's a lot more information but it's to much to explain on here.

Back to the top

I’ve had results fixing one of these e2 carbs, I changed all the vac hoses, replaced the pull down unit and replaced the rubber mount, and the thing still had a high idle - revving it’s face off ! LoL - I reset the wax stat and that cured it….

The cabby I am doing now is an auto, I’ve tried to resurrect the pierburg but gave up, bit the bullet and fitted a Weber. I’m a body man as well and I did it, it took about an hour and there’s a guide on YouTube, however, there was a few anomolies I had to get round but feel free to ping me if you need help…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

VW Golf Carburetor Adjustments. Setting Fast Idle & Choke on Pierburg 2E2 Carb - YouTube

Take a look at this video, he points out the wax stat and there is another video on reset.

The way I did it, with the engine running, warm and high idle, I forced the control pin bit to go in with a big screwdriver, and I noticed that the revs dropped when I pushed in it. It was as if the linkage needed adjustment. I pushed hard on it to force it back and held it there, it seemed to do the trick and drop the idle for good.

The car had been out of use for a long time.

It’s probably not the best way to do it, but I’m a body man and it worked LoL

Back to the top
Personally I'd have a go rebuilding the Pierburg properly, before spending the £££ on a Weber conversion.

Back to the top

Having done the Weber conversion, I would also say fix the pierburg if you can - the Weber is nice and simple but does require extra input and re-learning how to play with a choke on cold start.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.