Skip navigation

Transmission/revving

Back to the top

Possible clutch or transmission issue

Hi guys,

I’d appreciate any help with this one please.

I’ve got a 1990 gti convertible that is dicking about a bit! When I change gear and accelerate gently everything is fine, if I accelerate hard the speed does not increase but the revs shoot up.

no problems moving off, engaging reverse etc.

clutch slip? Gearbox on the way out?

any help would be great.

thanks

Back to the top
It does sound like the clutch is either worn or a oil seal is worn and the clutch has oil on it or maybe someone has tried to fill the gearbox with oil via the green plug ontop of the gearbox…. this is the timing plug  :lol:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
You will be best getting a LUX or Sachs clutch kit.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thanks!

The clutch sits really high up. Not sure if this is normal - this is my first mk1; my daily is a dsg mk7 so please be patient with me!

Back to the top

mark1gls said

It does sound like the clutch is either worn or a oil seal is worn and the clutch has oil on it or maybe someone has tried to fill the gearbox with oil via the green plug ontop of the gearbox…. this is the timing plug  :lol:

Been there done that prior to getting a haynes….but after about 25 dollars in chemicals, and quarter car washes……that clutch lasted another 110K miles.

I would check the level of oil in the Transmission and verify that there isn't any, and I mean any oil on the clutch with a bore scope then proceed with a clutch change, not only the release bearing but if it is a 5 speed do the finger as well.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for your help!

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

mark1gls said

Been there done that prior to getting a haynes….but after about 25 dollars in chemicals, and quarter car washes……that clutch lasted another 110K miles.

I would check the level of oil in the Transmission and verify that there isn't any, and I mean any oil on the clutch with a bore scope then proceed with a clutch change, not only the release bearing but if it is a 5 speed do the finger as well.

Sorry, stupid question but what Haynes manual is best? It's a mk1 but it's a 1990 model.

Thanks

Back to the top
Before you spend hundreds on a clutch change, just check its adjusted properly - they are manual adjustment; and its world's easiest one to figure out. If that's all it is, it takes about 2 mins to fix.

Back to the top
PS How many miles does your DSG have?

Back to the top

paul_c said

PS How many miles does your DSG have?

Thanks for the advice. It's got 140k on the clock.

Back to the top
There should be between 15 and 25mm free play at the pedal.  :thumbs:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.