Skip navigation

Reverse light always ON

Back to the top
Hello All,

I have golf 1, petrol 1.1l , 1983, And a  problem with reverse lights.

Reverse lights are always on, as soon as I turn on the key.
I thought that reverse switch on gearbox are jammed or something, but it isn't. I disconnect the wires from switch and reverse lights are still on.

Also i tried to remove fuse, i'm not sure which one should be for this lights, but i find out that if i remove 18.fuse(for handbrake and chock indicator) lights are turned off.

Very strange, and i have no idea what happened here…

If someone can help and give some solution/suggestion/advice….

Thanks.
Milan

Back to the top
maybe some crossed wires in the light fitting? did you have the car long?has it always been this way,  chase the wire from the gearbox switch look for outer cover damaged see if  connecting to chassis at some point.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
IIRC, the reverse light switch is the power source for the reverse lights.  So by removing the connector you are eliminating the main source of power or 12V+ from the lamps.  The lamps are tied to ground directly, so therefore you have a nicked wire or a twisted wire that is placing 12V+ directly on the lamps.

Since you said you  remove f18 and the issue went away, I would look at the wires running from f18 to be powering the reverse lights, a DVOM or a Test Light is going to be your friend here…..

I would say it is a wiring issue.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I agree with Briano, sounds like you have a short to voltage. With the reverse switch removed see it you have voltage on both sides of the connector. If you have then there is short to another circuit.

Back to the top
First, thanks all for quick reply.

Yes, the car is for a long time in my family.

I check fuse box today, and find out what is problem….

Apparently some electrician connected reverse light lead to contact 30. So this is the cause of my problem.
But why he did it like this… Obviously there is a loose contact in fuse box. I noticed a lot of oxidation around that contact on fuse box.
I clean it, but connection is still weak. Sometimes i have good connection, sometimes not.
I'm afraid that lose contact is in fuse box. So I'm not sure what can i do here more…

Additional question:
I noticed that my golf has rear fog lights, but there is also no function.
How i find on internet, they  are powered over relay on position 7. As i don't have that relay, can someone tell what relay should go on that position? fuse box.JPG

Thanks

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.