Skip navigation

help with jury rigged ignition wiring.

Back to the top
OK we have a mk1 cabriolet which we are presently bringing back to life. After solving the engine problems (fuel lines all wrong etc..) we got it started only to find that when it was switched off and the key removed the engine kept running! Which lead me to look at the ignition switch wiring. Previously someone has (I think) tried to steal and hot wire the car, someone has attenpted to wire the switch back up but it is obviously wrong. Can find loads of info on how it should be but several of the wires I have do not correspond with the colours that all the guides say I should have.

Need help trying to work out which wires should be connected by identifying the colours I have and which wire they are. From there I should be able to follow a few diagrams I have of which one goes where on the switch.
Guides say I have 2 black and red that are joined, -  think these are the 2 black only wires which are joined?
Single solid red - Ignition Live?
Purple and black -  No Idea presently connected to solid red..
Yellow and black - wired to the 2 black wires..
 brown and white - also wired to 2 black..
brown and red - not connected to any thing
red and black - wired on its own
any help would be appreciated…

Last edit: by TheBowry

Back to the top
Sounds like fun!

What year is it and what model?

There is an additional wire on the later cars for the radio to come on when the key is inserted into the ignition.

Pictures are always useful too.

Iananan

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Odd there were images when I posted it, not sure of the year 90/91 iirc golf mk1 cabriolet.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Posting the images seperatly see if that works

Back to the top
Central Electric 1 Cluster

Central Electric 1

I presume you've seen these?

Brown and Red should be 'key in power' comes from a little spade

Red is the ignition switch power. Should come direct from a spade on the back of the fuse box. Try a continuity test to trace it back to the fuse box.

Violet and Black is either the fuel gauge sender or the ECU power or carb power for the auto choke. (which might explain why it kept running as it shouldn't have a live feed all the time I wouldn't imagine or it'll not shut off)

Yellow and black is the ignition switch run power (should also link to headlights)

Red and black is the starter power switch.

Can't find a brown and white. Browns are usually earths. Sure it's just not staining on the sheath maybe?

I think it might be a case of stripping down the column and then removing the 'new' wires and following the guides to get back to the factory colours and then lengthening and adding new spades as required.

dunno if i helped at all

O_o

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Brown /white are usually the Door switches to the courtesy lamp.

yellow/black could be to the headlight left side low beam.

yellow/black can go to the heater blower motor.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
OK Thx for all the help and suggestions,
Finally ended up taking the knee bar off and front seat out and getting under the dash to get the numbers from the (6 pin) ignition switch, then with lots of reading and googling I finally put it all to gether and am pleased to say that it fires, runs and most inportantly turns off now from the key.
This is the diagram I finally made for myself to work from and it seems to work, so I will put it here incase someone in the future needs something similar

img265.jpg

Back to the top
Good to hear you fixed it.
The old fix of twisting wires together…. a fire waiting to happen…. is that how you found the wiring?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Good to hear you fixed it.
The old fix of twisting wires together…. a fire waiting to happen…. is that how you found the wiring?

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.