Skip navigation

84 gti K Jet

Back to the top

Not running properly

it'll fit fine, is the exact one in my mk2 golf and mk1 takes the same battery type

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks for that John will order one Regards Dave W

Back to the top
I've got 075 battery on my Mk1 golf cabriolet and it fits fine, I've had to fit a bit of cardboard between the clamp and battery to stop it sliding about.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
sounds like you're missing the little spacer, often isnt included with new battery need to pinch out of the scrappy

these wee beasties

Back to the top
Yes I am missing something like that, time for a upgrade from the bit of old bike inner tube I'm currently using  :lol:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thanks Mark and John  I have purchased one now and II hope it lasts  a bit longer  than the 21 years I had my Banner Ha Ha Regards Dave W.

Back to the top
Hi everyone ,Just a couple of questions.In my1984 gti cabby 76000mls, I am using castrol GTX 15w-40 oil, semi synthetic but I read a post earlier saying ,on older vehicles you should use a thinner oil. Also sould I change the gear box oil, I have not changed it in the 32 years I have owned it, I do not think it has ever been changed since new Your Coments will be greatly recieved Regards Dave W

Back to the top
Older vehicles should use a heavier thicker oil to stop the thinner oil burning off/leaking. If its not burning it or leaking everywhere I don't think there's a reason to change from the 15/40 semi synth.

Might be an idea to change the GB oil and check its upto level. Make sure you use the correct GL4 and don't pour it into the timing hole….

See 020 Oil

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Might be an idea to change the GB oil and check its upto level. Make sure you use the correct GL4 and don't pour it into the timing hole….

See 020 Oil

Opps been there done that about 1981…..before I had a Haynes or Bentley, and it ended up being my Bottlecap wheel covers that were making the terrible racket…which I threw away, and got the Vw baby-moons.

Happy ending is that after cleaning the clutch it lasted another 100K miles.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for that ,early 1800 and brian  .I would just like to add the oil in the car at the moment ,has been in  it for 3 years but the car has not left my garage for 20 years. I start it and run for 30 minutes every fortnight Regards Dave W

Back to the top
good morning everyone, just a quicky Where is the gearbox filler plug situated on my  1984 mk1 cabby, and when filling do you fill until the oil runs out ???.Regards Dave W

Back to the top
filler/level hole is in the end of the box, near the green cap. 17mm hex tool, or thin spanner with wheel bolt pushed thru. Fill till oil runs out the hole.

You may prefer to fill it thru the speedo cable hole as its a bit awkward to fill thru the filler/level, just take care not to pull the gear off when removing cable

Back to the top
 Thanks for that John, I managed to undo the filler plug .Just to recap, I have Hypoid ep90 API Gl4 oil, but it is not red  ,and the oil  already  in the box looks redish, do you think that this will be ok  Regards Dave W

Back to the top

handiman42 said

Thanks for that John, I managed to undo the filler plug .Just to recap, I have Hypoid ep90 API Gl4 oil, but it is not red  ,and the oil  already  in the box looks redish, do you think that this will be ok  Regards Dave W

For a manual box 90 is a bit thick. The recommended is;

VW calls for hypoid oil API GL4, MIL-L2105 SAE 75 or G50 SAE 75W90 synthetic lubricant.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
If your oil is more than 4 years old or you don't know when it was last changed it may be worth draining the lot and filling up with some new oil. Gearbox oil is often over looked.
Stuff I've been using in both my cars for about 10 years so I've changed it a few times.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/triple-qx-75w-80-api-gl4-5-fully-synthetic-1-ltr-522776282

Don't forget the discount code to get it cheaper and I find 2 bottles (2L) is plenty.

Back to the top
Thanks early 1800 and mark ,I,ve had the vehicle for 32 years and it has never been changed also I have a slight leak from the final drive seals, would it be safe to put some sort of seal sealer in with the oil Regards Dave W

Back to the top
I would not use any sort of sealer in the gearbox oil.

If it's only a small leak just keep topping it up until you can change the seals, I did this for a couple of years then I did change the seals in the end.

Back to the top
Thanks Mark I was a bit dubious about putting an additive in . I have just ordered 2 litres of oil from euro parts Thanks again Regards Dave W

Back to the top
bump..

if you haven't changed the gearbox fluid, perhaps consider doing the linkage bushes too… as for the gearbox seals, they're less than £10 to buy… :thumbs:

Back to the top
thanks Dean , I will go down that route sooner than later I see you are from south wales,,this car came from pontyberem 32 years ago Thanks again Dave W
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.