Skip navigation

No power over 3000 revs up hill

Back to the top

No power over 3000 revs up hill

i fitted the new fuel pump today and thought it wouldve cured my problem,
the car wont run properly over 3000 revs when going up hill, ive renewed all 4 injectors, coil, ht leads, plugs and now the main pump does anybody have any idea wots up.
shes a 1.8 8v gti with k-jetronic fuel injection

thanks joe

Joe

Black 1992 gti cabrio sportline

Back to the top
Does the car not rev above 3000rpm or does the car not speed up after 3000rpm?

Could be the timing, fuelling (changed the fuel filter? check the filler neck for rust, look in the tank for crud), check the dizzy cap and rotor, plug leads in the right order (1-3-4-2 clockwise)

If it revs ok but not speed up then it is probably a slipping clutch…

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top

woZa said

Could be the timing, fuelling (changed the fuel filter? check the filler neck for rust, look in the tank for crud), check the dizzy cap and rotor, plug leads in the right order (1-3-4-2 clockwise)

it will rev to the top when stood but when under load it struggles.
its had a new filler neck,new filter and ive just syphoned the tank out the best i could the old fashion way, a lot of crap come out, but still a bit in the bottom but the fuel looks clear now.
i also had a auto tuner/diagnostic man come and set it up a couple of months ago, he seemed to set it up fine, but it was stood still for the tune up.
in the bentley book it says the problem is either the fuel pump or the injectors. :banghead:
ill order a dizzy cap and arm and see if that works
thanks joe.

Joe

Back to the top

joemarkey6 said

woZa said

it will rev to the top when stood but when under load it struggles.
its had a new filler neck,new filter and ive just syphoned the tank out the best i could the old fashion way, a lot of crap come out, but still a bit in the bottom but the fuel looks clear now.
i also had a auto tuner/diagnostic man come and set it up a couple of months ago, he seemed to set it up fine, but it was stood still for the tune up.
in the bentley book it says the problem is either the fuel pump or the injectors. :banghead:
ill order a dizzy cap and arm and see if that works
thanks joe.
fitted the new dizzy and rotor arm today, took it for a run and no real difference, so i took the new injectors out 1 by 1 and one of them was not spraying the fine mist as it should, more like 6 or 7ish visible jets, so  iblasted compressed air through it and tried it again an it seemed a bit better.
think im gonna go get another injector and fuel filter tomorrow.
 hope thats her running sweet then.(apart from the warm up regulator which i think is defective, but that doesnt effect it when the engines hot does it?)

Joe

Back to the top
I remember this problem happening to a member , it turned out to be a blocked fuel pump filter . The fuel system was full of crap and any load applied to the engine caused fuel starvation .

It' s clean out time and please look at all the filters .

Back to the top
i changed the fuel filter and there was quite a bit of crap in the 3 month old one,
made a little difference,
put a new injector in and its made a massive difference, she'll rev upto the top now but theres still a flat spot around mid revs,
think it must be the timing or mixture
gonna have a mess with the mixture usin the brake pedal method that there was a big debate about, tomorrow.
feels like im finally getting somewhere at last
thanks for your suggestions and keep 'm' comin
joe

Joe

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.