Skip navigation

DX to ABF engine wiring loom conversion

Back to the top

DX to ABF engine wiring loom conversion

My dizzy came today it looks different tho. It seems this one is a cross between mk2 KR and mk3 ABF. It is adjustable like a KR dizzy but the ht leads point in the direction of the ABF? Is this right?

I would Imagine to set this type up I need to get the engine to TDC and the rotary arm to cyl 1 and then lock it into place or the ignition timing will be out as it is now going to be ECU controlled?

Back to the top
thats the wrong one, looks like audi 6a/ace :(

you need proper abf one with no adjustment on the dizzy bolt holes. check the trigger wheel inside it'll probably have 4 windows which is wrong you need just the 1 trigger window

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I found this, you commented on this comment a while back matey.

"Correct me if I am wrong as it is a while since I stripped down an ABF distributor but doesn't that distributor (037 905 205 M, replaced by 037 905 237 CX) only have one cut out in the hall sender rotor? If it does, that is only for number 1 cylinder so when you try to start it, it will only fire on number one. This is because the ABF engine uses Digifant sequential electronic injection which uses a crank speed sensor and the distributor hall sender is only used to show the ECU where number 1 cylinder is. You could make it work by changing the rotor arm shaft for one from a KR distributor. The distributor I used to use when doing 16v Golf 1's is the one from an Audi 80 with a 6A 2 litre 16v engine (made from 03/90 to 7/92 for the 80 and Coupe) but the caps are very expensive to replace (077 905 207, about £55 genuine) and the leads can be pricey too, the caps are screw on rather than clip on. The original distributor part number was 053 905 205 C and then changed to 053 905 205 D and the exchange replacement from Audi is now 053 906 237 X but to buy it outright you would have to pay the surcharge, so about £200"

So it 100% will not work with my set up? :-(

Back to the top
Also, I forgot to add my part number is 053 905 205 D

Back to the top
Just spoke with Vw and is from an Audi 80, Audi coupe 6A as you said ;-)

Back to the top
the only way it would work is by changing the trigger wheel, and then you would have to make sure its 100% at TDC otherwise you'll have problems unfortunatly. would be excellent dizzy for mk1 kr/9a conversion though so you should have no trouble selling it!

before you do can you try the abf cap on it see if it fits nice ;)

Back to the top
Hi mate, just having a go at starting her. It turn over, I believe I have fuel and I have a bit of a spark. I think it is trying to fire on the up stroke or something as it locks te engine sometimes. I know the firing order is 1.3.4.2 but does it spin anti clock wise meaning as your look at the dizzy cap 1 is top left, 3 is lower left, 4 is lower right and 2 is top right??

Cheers

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
its anti-clockwise, iirc #1 is bottom left. move them all round 1 at a time till it fires :)

Back to the top
Ok done that and it fires up now but dies straight after. I've swapped the idle control valve incase it was that but still the same so swapped them back. Man I wish I had that Vag com :-(

Back to the top
this can be immobiliser fault or crank sensor, did you put on a new crank sensor? does it run if you hold the revs up, if so thats isv. vag-com usb cable is £10 off ebay, just need a lappy ;)

Back to the top
I didn't replace it mate as I'm skint on a whole new level haha.

I'll get one ordered then and I'll get a vag com port. I have a laptop but how much is the software? I'll bring the solus pro home tomorrow too to see what it is, provided the OBD works. It revs really high when I burry the throttle then dies straight away even with the throttle wide open. I recon it could be an imobiliser or crank sensor fault too as the spark to the plugs is week? I'll double check them when the spilt fuel dries up haha

Back to the top
crank sensor:
http://www.vwsonline.co.uk/car_parts_bristol/037-906-433a.html

pm me for the sw ;)

yeah the sounds of it you have crank sensor or immob fault, you did plug sensor in the right connector ja? 3 pin with red/yel wire is crank sensor :)

Back to the top
Sw? What's that? So is the 8v sensor the same?

I'll have another look at the wiring budy

Back to the top
software :)

yeah late 8v use same sensor as abf

Back to the top
Course it means software haha.

I'll look at getting one anyway as they're a usual fault I've heard.

Back to the top
yeah its just about only sensor that can stop abf running so its well worth the investment!

Back to the top
I have a plug left over on my engine loom. 3 pin, brn/grn, blu/white and black. Any clues?

Back to the top
speedo sensor for mk3 clocks :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.