Skip navigation

What did you do to your Mk1 Golf Today ?

Back to the top

hopsandmovingon said

Backinblack said

Water pump removed and split down. Rear case plus other ali parts off to the anodisers this week for a good clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anodised parts sounds great .
What cost are you expecting.
Will they tell you if the casting is still in good order after cleaning before coating .
Love to see that before and after shot.

Post from a ' HOP X DUB '

Well good news and bad news

Good news here is the now picture

Bad new - the anodiser shut its doors 5 months ago.  Haha

But the people I use for wheel powder coating is a option or a home anodising kit for £55 from eBay.  Need to think on this one for a while and currently thinking powder coating to match my grey wheels.

Back to the top
ouch,

I had to remove the rear window on one of my cabbies to re-seal it.  found that dirt built up between the window and the glass causing the seal to buldge and leak.

All cleaned and resealed….. Didn't leak at all over Hurricane irma  or the last few years, but then this past
winter and debris that built up.

No leaks now after water blasting it… only time will tell.
dang nab it….  

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Had a lovely drive to Gloucester to visit a nice guy selling a small bumper version of mine . Ebay Item number 323126694862
Had to do it as when purchasing mine originally the seller said he knew of another nearby.
He has restored it and I made enquiries about time to fix mine 3 weeks work he reckons so please if your in Dorset and have time to see it and quote me I would appreciate it. mine is on right

On the way home collected the rear anti roll bar and beam from Rich , THANKS see you again.
very happy with drive except for an electrical pulse to the temperature on dash when switching on fan or full beam and no full beam symbol lights on dash sorry to the vuaxall waiting in front about 1745???:$will post questions on this in a bit.

What's next?
Mk1 second project cabriolet
MK1 first project cabriolet

Back to the top
A quick spin out to warm up the fluids, oil/filter change and replaced the oil pressure light sender as the one fitted was leaking. Next job on the list is wheel balancing and lube the cabrio hinges.

Back to the top

Backinblack said

hopsandmovingon said

Backinblack said

Water pump removed and split down. Rear case plus other ali parts off to the anodisers this week for a good clean up.

Will they tell you if the casting is still in good order after cleaning before coating .

But the people I use for wheel powder coating is a option or a home anodising kit for £55 from eBay.  Need to think on this one for a while and currently thinking powder coating to match my grey wheels.

So given up on my search for a local anodiser and took the parts to the guys that did my wheel refurbishment. They will blast clean and paint the parts for £20. Happy days. Should collect them in a couple of days.

Back to the top

Re: What did you do to your Mk1 Golf Today ?

Backinblack said

Backinblack said

hopsandmovingon said

Backinblack said

So given up on my search for a local anodiser and took the parts to the guys that did my wheel refurbishment. They will blast clean and paint the parts for £20. Happy days. Should collect them in a couple of days.

Ahh . I never thought to ask a wheel centre to do spraying.
Good call.
I will contact mine and enquire if they powder coat them also ask if they know of the  anodiser service.

What's next?

Back to the top
Son curbed the green one.
Tyre cost 28 road hazard
Control arm 44
Bushings are 20
Ball joint is good
Alignment is gonna be free as it has lifetime align.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Put mine on a mates drive. I have a garage in the next street, but when I took the car there after a trip to the mechanic, some B@5&rd had park an untaxed Astra in front of my garage door.
Police don’t want to know. Council don’t want to know. Landowner doesn’t know what to do!
Result is the Golf will be out in the ice predicted overnight.

Back to the top

johnprogers said

Put mine on a mates drive. I have a garage in the next street, but when I took the car there after a trip to the mechanic, some B@5&rd had park an untaxed Astra in front of my garage door.
Police don’t want to know. Council don’t want to know. Landowner doesn’t know what to do!
Keep it warm set fire to the Astra. Bet the police will soon want to know then. Sure it was an electrical fault

Back to the top

Backinblack said

johnprogers said

Keep it warm set fire to the Astra. Bet the police will soon want to know then. Sure it was an electrical fault

Trolly jack under rear axle, or lift rear wheels into two plastic basins you can push it easier then

Back to the top
Roll it back out of the drive into the middle of the street.
After a Lorry smashes the hell out of it, some one will care.

I like toasting the car, but with my luck I would also burn the garage down with my car in it….

Remember, Only You can prevent Dash Fires….

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Report it to dvla as unroadworthy.
Put a notice on it to move it
Stay up and watch it flask required
Or call a tow company to move it
Local authorities may have a report site on line.
If all else fails maybe it will vanish.

What's next?

Back to the top
Well today was a big day for me and I was proper excited.

I have had my car in the body shop, then it was driven to the mechanics from there I took it to the upholstery company.  Finally after a fair few months I have brought my baby home.  Today it is sitting on my drive.

I have had a total in and out full body re-spray.
All the mechanicals put in order and MOT pass with no advisories.
New roof put on her
The boosters had gone on the front seats and try as we may we could not get the cloth to replace it so rather than do the booster in another colour I decided to replace all the seat fabric, repair and replace anything that needed to be done and be covered in leather.

Driving her back down the M25 was a lovely feeling with plenty of looks!

I had to go to the VW main dealers to follow up on a complaint I made about my wife's car.  So I parked it right outside the main doors.  Whilst sitting in the showroom there was a steady flow of people looking her all over, that made me feel quite proud.

Still got some jobs to do so no doubt I'll be posting on here again.

Back to the top

hopsandmovingon said

Report it to dvla as unroadworthy.
Put a notice on it to move it
Stay up and watch it flask required
Or call a tow company to move it
Local authorities may have a report site on line.
If all else fails maybe it will vanish.

Phone the DVLA they will be all over it in a flash, they love it when people report untaxed motors.  My mother in law had an issue with a knob head where she lived who parked an untaxed motor (uninsured, not roadworthy either) in a visitor bay, she is disabled so found it difficult for helpers to park etc. Without getting a ticket.  Anyway the car was a neighbour who refused to move it despite repeated requests.  She reported it to the council who said nothing to do with us.  So eventually someone reported it to the dvla two days later they took it away.  

Back to the top

Just get a trolley jack and drag it out to the road, job done and off to the crusher in a jiffy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top

Backinblack said

Backinblack said

hopsandmovingon said

Backinblack said

Just picked them up.

Back to the top

jamie8v said

Just get a trolley jack and drag it out to the road, job done and off to the crusher in a jiffy

Strangely the drivers window became broken, and persons unknown have released the handbrake and rolled the car out of the garage block and put alongside a grass verge.  Wonder who this anonymous hero might have been?  ;)

Back to the top
Been off all week….service pre MOT and some general engine house keeping

Drained oil and coolant, changed spark plugs, air filter, changed 2 water flange seals, oil filter housing gasket and housing end seal. Then swapped over the spare starter today.

14 deg up here today :cool: IMG_2047.JPG

Back to the top

Good work

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad

Back to the top

johnprogers said

jamie8v said

Strangely the drivers window became broken, and persons unknown have released the handbrake and rolled the car out of the garage block and put alongside a grass verge.  Wonder who this anonymous hero might have been?  ;)

Lol I bet it was the same person who shortly after felt compelled to perform another civic duty and inform the powers that be of an unlicensed vehicle on the public highways ( which does include grass verges ) anyway god bless them whom ever they are

3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.