Skip navigation

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Back to the top

i thought i posted this a couple of days ago..(or have i dropped it in the wrong place?? :$) had my car back after having a new Header Seal, Windscreen Rubber & Chrome fitted..

Got her home & cleaned her up under the bonnet, treated to some Armor-All wax in the bay & under the bonnet then some Auto Glym Vinyl & Rubber protector…
Weather no tkind at the moment for a spin.. may be Friday could be on :lol:

Back to the top
Took the Sportline down to the ITV  test station in Gandia as the one in Ondara was mobbed! They are open till 10pm here so I thought I had plenty of time at 6pm and I have only done 1200 Kms since the last test! Paid my €37 and waited in line. My daughter being fluent in Spanish took the car up. Well they went through everything!! And when she put the hazards on the switch disappeared into the dash!! The guy doing the test was in a very bad mood! First question was what will happen to you now the UK have left the EU!!! Well I have not got a clue so I told him that! He grimaced and said the headlamps were wrong way too high!!  Well it passed last year and I have not altered a thing, so I produced a screw driver from the boot and proceeded to alter the head lamps, it was now 9.30pm! Rushing back to the tester he said wait and then told me they were still to high!! Well I unscrewed the poxy things as far as they would go, there was no more adjustment! He said that was ok and get to the office quick before it closed ! Bloody hell what a panic! So I parked up and went to the office all stamped and passed! It was now getting dark and some knob on a huge rig parked right on front of me! 15 mins later he walked out ignored my wonderful British hand signals and drove off ! I notice I had no petrol so went in serch of a station, with the headlamps illuminating about 2 metres in front of the car!! What a stressful few hours so got home and poured a large glass of wine!! Apply days!! 

1992 Red 'Sportline' LHD from France now in Spain,
1991 White' Young Line' GTI LHD from Germany that I can not take to Spain because of Brexit!😒

Back to the top
Added new roof… frame and all :wub:

bronze_zpsa6ede075.png

Back to the top
Not been on here for a few weeks - Had visitors from Australia & time off work - yet busy!
Anyway back to it last night… stripped my drivers side door of the outer rubbers, cracked Door trim cap, interior door card, inner scraper & mirror to replace new with new gasket.
Going to fit new door rubber tonight, new door trim card, clean door card, clean around door mirror fitting - grime, replace gasket & put together, relatively simple to do… :thumbs:also the 1/4 window rubbers i've got new too…
 start with the passenger side then & do the same, hope by the weekend. Ordered new inner & outer scrapers Sunday eve. off funk-star which am awaiting arrival of - may be there today (hope so) then crack on - once all this is done just to Rims to refurb & i'm pretty much done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edit: by Deandubya

Back to the top
I drove it for the longest trip so far. I moved it from my dads garage (Aladins cave) with a boot full of tools to my hose in Worcester. I had my little girl up front in her car seat and it drove like a dream. It's nice to drive a car again that makes strangers smile and wave :)

Parked it up to shuff the cars on the drive to get access to the grarage and dicovered I've a hot start issue :/

I'm not scared of spanners but i'm no machanic.

Back to the top
Steering wheel  :wub:   :wub:
  20160724_100643.jpg

Back to the top
Handed my car to mechanic with rear suspension repair.
Exhaust too. Just couldn't get it off.
Then it's back for mot next week
Me hopes.

What's next?
Mk1 second project cabriolet
MK1 first project cabriolet

Back to the top
Weather held me back yesterday avvo… Drivers door sorted Saturday (Inner & Outer Scrapers on their way - spoke to Mark @ Classic VW & he's doing them ASAP - been away on a wedding - much appreciated for the update & very decent of the guy to phone & update me, cheers funk-star  :thumbs:) Did a bit on the passenger door, taken apart, cleaned, new mirror gasket & new 1/4 window rubber… will do the do seal tonight along with another clean for the material on the door card. be about the 4th wash now as the previous owners chuffed so the nicotine/tar that is coming out when i squeeze /press the material after a wash is disgusting! Weather's looking good… :thumbs:

Last edit: by Deandubya

Back to the top
put the Clay bar to work on the moulding area & boot of the car, waxed & replaced clips with original VW clips…

Back to the top
Looks super clean!! I can remember when the all white look was what everyone wanted when I was a kid!

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top

I had mine MOT'd today. Very relieved it passed. I went to a new garage for it, and found that the guy there is really helpful and really keen to work on cars like mine. He used to have a mk1. He helped fix a blowy exhaust, fitted a new rubber exhaust hanger, and replaced the reverse light switch for me. So I'll probably take it back there again.

Then I cleaned and waxed it, including behind the trims, vacuumed it, and fitted an older style grille. I'm not sure about it. I also T-Cut the black window pillars. They look a lot better for it.

Back to the top

I like the grill but I am also old style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Today i have replaced
Cambelt
Tensioner
Waterpump
Oil
Filter
Air filter
Coolant

Finished about an 1 hour ago :)

All went well lined up timing marks, better above 3000rpm, but flat under…. so a job to recheck tomorrow

Back to the top
Timing advanced
Idle set

Runs sweet

Quick spin with the hood down… happy days

Back to the top

A pillar trims. Every little helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Dropped her off at the garage to have new clutch fitted... Also asked that they spot weld the clutch bulk head support plate, precious garage just "stuck" it on so it just wobbles and squeaks !!

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top
Dropped her off at the garage to have new clutch fitted... Also asked that they spot weld the clutch bulk head support plate, previous garage just "stuck" it on so it just wobbles and squeaks !!

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top

Saturday I had new wheels, which I refurbished myself, fitted.

Sunday I drove it 350 miles to Yorkshire.

Monday I took my mum for a spin with the top down.

Today I drove it 250 miles back home.

Back to the top

TeeTee said

Saturday I had new wheels, which I refurbished myself, fitted.

Sunday I drove it 350 miles to Yorkshire.

Monday I took my mum for a spin with the top down.

Today I drove it 250 miles back home.

Are you not 100 miles from home still??  :lol:

The Cabby is looking might fine  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Are you not 100 miles from home still??  :lol:

The Cabby is looking might fine  :cool:

Haha! Well spotted. It was a round trip – roughly 250 miles to Bridlington to see my grandma (who got a ride out in a wheelchair, sadly not the Cabby), then 100 miles to Bradford to see my old ma, then 250 miles back to London. Going over the Humber Bridge and down Garrowby Hill with the top down were high points.  :cool:
There are too many online users to list.