Skip navigation

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Back to the top

What did you do to your MK1 today?

20160512_064943.jpg Fitted some shiney window winders to the sportline.. being "yuppified". Fitted new oil dipstick guide tube. Swapped wiper washer pump…still rubbish.cleaned earth straps and cables. Works but not brilliant. Sent begging emails for plastic spares. Begged forum members too!! Now searching for window washer heating element and fitment.  Screenshot_20160512-232155.png

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Hmm Saturday.. walked 13km thinking about what to do on car..got home changed original expansion tank for repro..just for cleaning…cleaned connectors on water level sensor..waiting new 1 coming. Cleaned air  filter in k jet system. Bit of oil there so next will be rocker cleaning. After oil service. Fitted 2 courtesy light gaskets. Pumped up 4 tyres and then run on drive for 30mins letting fluids run and warm up.

On the drive

Back to the top
Gave my original wheels a DIY refurb, pretty happy with how they came out image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Found someone who will give my Cabby a tune on Monday (1/2 day off work booked) to sort out the CO's & mixture (running a bit rich)…. woohoo…
I am so hoping that will be the engine sorted… it's been a roller coaster getting things renewed & resolved with a lot of ££££££££ over the past 2 years. From clips to running gear, brake hoses to gaskets & so much more! Loads of receipts!! want to get to BristolVolksfest & the AGM before I add them up & give myself a dodgy ticker! I've got a little more to do to her then it will be complete… Aiming for the AGM… Then I'm gonna bore everyone in the 'Your mk1 Golfs & Projects' with Pics & details of everything….

Back to the top
Took car to garage to complete service. And help diagnose the "hunting " on idle. Turns out worn vacuum hose at rear near clutch cable.  Also put roof down and chuck push bike in it. And rode home from garage  20160519_083642.jpg so hopefully ride back to pick yuppy flu up. Oh accidentally bumped into someone with 4 alloys bbs 15" for sportline…now that was shiney also.

On the drive

Back to the top
Took my golf to the mot centre today and it passed! First time it's been on the road since 2009 and the first time I've driven a mk1 since the 90's and I love it! One very happy bunny!😎

Back to the top
Gave forum member steveee a hand removing my donor engine.  Moved castor to next doors field…took snowy out for lunch. Robbed snowy of vacuum pipe to make temp repair proper repair in yuppy flu 

On the drive

Back to the top
Sold my mint n lovely Clipper to my mates son, Piers Robinson.! Passed his test today too! We will see the car at shows! image.jpeg image.jpeg

1992 Red 'Sportline' LHD from France now in Spain,
1991 White' Young Line' GTI LHD from Germany that I can not take to Spain because of Brexit!😒

Back to the top
I sat on me bum at work and received the following car updates  image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Mostly wondered when I'm getting mine back from the garage.

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Painted the needles… Fluorescent orange… I like it

20160514_083108.jpg

bronze_zpsa6ede075.png

Back to the top
Well I've finally found a bit of rhythm now I own a Mk6 and a Mk1.

Wash the Mk6 on a Saturday morning.  :)

image.jpeg

Then on Sunday morning Schratt the Mk1 gets the treatment and his tummy rubbed.  :wub:

image.jpeg

That way I avoid the shopping Saturday morning and anything the wife can think of on Sunday.
All I have to do is to carefully weave into the plan taking one of them to play golf!  ;)  :ninja:  :lol:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Not today, but yesterday I had a custom stainless exhaust made at Topgear Performance in Donny.

Must say I'm really impressed with the quality, care and time taken to get the exhaust system spot on.

Looks and sounds almost OEM but with a slightly larger diameter tail pipe.

Back to the top

Greavesy said

Not today, but yesterday I had a custom stainless exhaust made at Topgear Performance in Donny.

Must say I'm really impressed with the quality, care and time taken to get the exhaust system spot on.

Looks and sounds almost OEM but with a slightly larger diameter tail pipe.

Just what I'm hoping to do at some point. Looks OEM. Donny a bit far from me but nice to know it's possible. Mines going to be a stainless 4-2-1 and the rest standard for now. How much was that to do?

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top

sportlinecab said

Just what I'm hoping to do at some point. Looks OEM. Donny a bit far from me but nice to know it's possible. Mines going to be a stainless 4-2-1 and the rest standard for now. How much was that to do?

Cost £370 in total. I had a flange added to the original manifold and the new system too. As I'm looking to do an engine change next year it'll make it easier to adapt a new downpipe rather than having the system 'tweaked'

Back to the top
Got my car tuned this morning! finally after a lot of renewing & problematic stuff… Guy said he could smell it was running rich. had a play with the accelerator cable, put more tension in, CO's adjusted & said the timing was spot on. Said to use fuel cleaner (which I been using for a while thankfully, all part of trying to make my dub better) take it for a run to get the soot off the Spark Plugs… Injectors fine too… Said it was a nice engine, cheers dude, :thumbs: & prefers to work on the older cars than the newer ones!!! Give it a run & if anything changes, once settled, to take it back & re-do!  One happy customer!

Took my car for a drive down the M4 about 7.30ish… had a few guys in van taking photos or filming too…
Not a bad return of fuel…

Last edit: by Deandubya

Back to the top
Spent sometime with the multimeter and finally got my interior light working on the door contact switches correctly, lots of cleaning and rubbing down until I had low resistance, fiddled with the light unit itself to get a better contact and replaced one door switch - NOTE anyone buying a new door contact vw have decided to change from small spade to large spade connector so not a 30 second plug & play like it should be! 

Back to the top

MrPapageorgio said

Painted the needles… Fluorescent orange… I like it

20160514_083108.jpg

Lit up…. Liking the contrast

bronze_zpsa6ede075.png

Back to the top
Got my car booked in for the Windscreen rubber & chrome to be changed (already got) with a new header seal too (the header seal is fine at the mo but got 2 tears about 10-15mm want it sorted) Got to order the Header seal soon!… got a few weeks before it goes in :thumbs:#comingalongnicely

Back to the top
Went to several bodyshops today to get quotes, had a range of reactions, from "yes! we can definitely do that" to "sell it and get a better one" to "that'll take about a month and cost you 9k" (LOL) 

So after much deliberation I still ain't giving up on my car, Bodytone Warfield wins! Roll on the work!

Kirsty "Percy" 

1988 Clipper called Ruby

www.boogiewookie.com
There are too many online users to list.