Skip navigation

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Back to the top

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Looked outside… saw some Sun!

Ran outside, threw roof down, drove for a couple of hours through the countryside!

Arrived back with a smile on my face :thumbs:

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top
Finally got around to tightening the fan belt so hopefully no more squealing ..
….painted the windage tray ,  resealed a few  grommets hopefully cure a leak 
 Then gave my wipers a fresh coat of paint …..nice to be able to get outside and start  tinkering

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
Got to Selsey. through the floods, Clipper started third time of asking, could not take it for a spin as garage exit was blocked! Made a list of jobs, hope to make the Southeast/Sussex day! Tucked him up and said 'night night'! Back to Surrey to carry out work on Young Line and order more bits!

1992 Red 'Sportline' LHD from France now in Spain,
1991 White' Young Line' GTI LHD from Germany that I can not take to Spain because of Brexit!😒

Back to the top
tested the rims, and removed some more of the tar beneath the car.

VW Golf Mk 1
VW Lupo

Back to the top
Just looked at mine.....talked to her for a little bit then shut the lights off and closed the garage door

Restored 1961 Mk1 Mini Misses drives a 10 plate bmw mini cooper d sports pack Me drives a 61 plated C220 CDI Restored 1960\'s forecourt petrol pump 1964 P4 Rover 110 resorted by my dad 23 years ago On the look out for LBD 376Y

Back to the top
I've had the alternator refurbished, put it back in today so it's starting now, nice to hear the engine again :thumbs:

Back to the top
:) Connected the battery, turned the key and listed to my 30 year old engine crack up at the first whip :cool:

Wife, kids, car……not necessarily in that order.

Back to the top
Went to my garage to check on her. A family of mice have moved into my bulkhead …….

They have eaten some wiring …. anybody know what this wire is for ? Runs by the heater fan cover.

:ocf_emoticons__BangHead:

Back to the top
Oh that's not good - hope you've turfed them out!

I'm guessing a bit but in bulkhead you'll have wires for the wiper motor and ignition module thing.

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
They were persuaded to move along ..... we will see if they come back

Back to the top

BigMoose said

They were persuaded to move along ….. we will see if they come back

Depends if you leave cheese in your car I guess!  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Did some more work with regards tidying up the boot area.

Both boot cards now wrapped in suede (Glue still drying!)

Base layered in a thin piece of ply with original carpet glued on top, just need some more time to measure up a piece of wood to fix to the rear support beam to finish off the "Box" look  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Booked car in for a respray in VW Colorado Metallic (very close to the Paprika red standard colour of the car)

Been meaning to do this for a couple of years now.  

Back to the top
Went to Selsey, started up car (1st turn), dropped hood and took him for a spin. Weather was bright but cold, drove to the sea front, he was scared so came back as he did not like driving on pebbles! Just waiting for new rad to be delivered today and then will fit along with temp sensor. Plus found an 1990 car phone kit complete with Ericson Hotline Phone and a spare phone in garage (very rare I think), might fit. How retro is that! Cheers :cool:

1992 Red 'Sportline' LHD from France now in Spain,
1991 White' Young Line' GTI LHD from Germany that I can not take to Spain because of Brexit!😒

Back to the top
Had one of those days yesterday, went out for 30 minutes to undo a couple of nuts, 6 hours later I was lifting the cylinder head into the back of the passat to sort out some sheared studs  :P

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
took a new genuine key blank to the key cutters only for him to barely touch it with the machine and hand it back saying it might not work!

no sh*t sherlock!

i had no choice but to try and cut it myself………

which i did and it fits perfect :thumbs:good ol trusty dremel and a flat file.

i pressed the little red button

Back to the top
Took advantage of the sunshine, got the top down, replaced the boot strut then took her for the first drive of the year. Also bullied the dog into helping- she won't be sat in there when the new seat covers arrive!

C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Just finished changing the reverse switch (not the 2 pin one), what an issue that was, out easy then find the new switch locating slots are slightly narrower than the original so the connector not fitting… a few choice expletives later and what feels like forever modding the new switch finally get it all sorted.  So the half hour job turned into a half day one but at least another job done.

Last edit: by Red-or-Dead

Back to the top
Whipped the covers off, fitted a new Bosch battery, fired her up for the first time since early November and went for a spin, came back home with a big grin, well this was yesterday anyway.

Back to the top
Re-fitted my sub and amp back into the boot after my clean up exercise!

Need a much smaller sub and amp though… Boot space is still important to me, I'm not 18 anymore :(

There are too many online users to list.