Skip navigation

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Back to the top

What did you do to your MK1 today?

re fitted my manifold - inlet and zorst, polished the door to see what it comes up like. got annoyed with it, and its now for sale!!! (for sale thread to come)

wish i had the time/space for it! but she got to go!!  :'(

MK1 GTi - MK1 Eunos - MK1 Arosa - MK2 Polo

Back to the top
Started the brake upgrade…

Back to the top
decided to replace the front pads, all the nuts are very tight, gave them all a spray of WD, some moved, but the others are still tight, gave them another spray and will try again tomorrow. Also when closing the bonnet it would not catch, the return spring has broken, will have to replace it. Started to make a to-do list, will have to finish it tomorrow as i ran out of paper!!!

Back to the top
today i changed the intermediate shaft oil seal on the timing belt side of the engine and also changed the timing belt :) always fun in the wind and rain!

Back to the top
Clean and polish for the pair of Golfs today

Back to the top
Replaced the front pads, have got a solid pedal but even with full effort the car is slow to stop, maybe the servo is faulty, will try and test it tomorrow. any ideas?

Back to the top
today i sanded down and resprayed the fuel filler neck

Back to the top

AndyParsons said

Started the brake upgrade…

looking good andy

Back to the top
Cheers,

Now moved onto:
Rear axle dropped, cleaned and painted.
Fuel tank removed, flushed, cleaned and repainted.
Rusty fuel neck filler removed ready for shiny new one.
Fuel pump and accumulator cleaned and tidied up.
Started to paint the underside black.
Ordered shedloads of stuff from fleabay.

Nearly finished all the taking apart stuff phase, and ready for the outting back together phase…

Back to the top
Fitted new Bosch Battery, Tightened Alt Belt, now going for a drive to the coast
Andy

Back to the top
Checked oil and water (again)… Topped up Oil ever so slightly.

Noticed I'm getting a bit more 'Mayo' build up in the head, but I haven't done a long Journey now since the summer, mixture not burning perhaps? Car drives perfect still…

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top
tried to take out axle beam but, a bolt snapped so i left it in, retapped bolt hole and resprayed insitu, took out shocks to put on new 30mm lowering springs washed arches of 27 yrs of dirt.

Back to the top
Refurbed my fuel tank. 

From this..

To this..

Back to the top
Something of a frustrating week end. Finished off the wiring for the tci module to the coil and some sensors. Then it was time to fire up! Except there was no spark. Thankfully my mate Vic was round and lent me his tci for testing. Turns out the 2nd hand one I'd bought from ebay is duff.. Then we noticed that the starter motor wasn't engaging about 50% of the time. nd finally the fuel inlet.to the carbs was weeping petrol. Time to give up for the weekend. Ordered a new tci. We think the weep may be due to dry orings ad may stop on its own. We did get some.good pops though before caution over the fuel.leak brought an end to the proceedings….  :P

1982 3 Door - 'BRO' - gone to pastures new
 1990 Clipper Cabriolet - Jet green metallic

Back to the top
Ripped the whole loom out of the car for it to be sent off and fixed  :P  :P

Back to the top
Fitted a new clutch cable. Old one snapped at the pedal.

Nathan

1983 Mars Red Mk1 Golf Gti

Back to the top
Fitted new Bosch S3 battery, looks all shiny and new :)

Back to the top
Scrubbed the hell out of the headlining. Now it's almost an off-white rather than brown. And also removed all seats and the carpets ready for a winter clean. Next job remove some additional wiring from the bay.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Took it to a £5 car wash today to get a quick rinse!!

Being a daily driver it's gets filthy quickly :(

Back to the top
Opened my new car under mat set that arrived today courtesy of VW Heritage.

Just need a dry day and a little bit of light and I can get them in!

Haven't had any for months as I had to remove the last set because they'd been destroyed by water damage and stunk the whole car out of bad mould!

There are too many online users to list.