Skip navigation

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Back to the top

What did you do to your MK1 today?

image.jpeg

Trizcatt02 said

Went to several bodyshops today to get quotes, had a range of reactions, from "yes! we can definitely do that" to "sell it and get a better one" to "that'll take about a month and cost you 9k" (LOL) 

So after much deliberation I still ain't giving up on my car, Bodytone Warfield wins! Roll on the work!
 Don't give up on it 100% worth it and the reward once you drive it all done will be worth more than the time & money! Just put my front end back together after some paintwork hope it's of some motivation! image.jpeg

Back to the top
Swapped in my new centre console blank. Minus 2 previous holes for immobiliser fob. And then drilled the blanking switch  cover for new immobiliser fob.what should have been done 1st time and 2nd time. Looks  better to me. 20160529_195014.jpg 20160529_194919.jpg 20160515_150940.jpg 20160512_064943.jpg

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Machine polished the bonnet to remove a few light swirl marks, PoorBoys SSR1 on a finishing pad , coat of Autoglymn SRP and topped off with Autobrite Project 32.

Not bad for 33 yr old paint….

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Drove 20odd mile and then filled up with gogo juice…then lost petrol cap on way home… no wonder they had to make the caps integral to car and central locking thats  2 in 6 months. Only this one I saw fall off then get run over. 😥😣

On the drive

Back to the top
Finally finished getting all the bodykit back on! Also finished up fillerneck change & cleaned inner arches. Very close to being finished now image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Took her for an MOT.. & passed with 2 advisories - slight play in rear wheel bearings which they said can be tightened & rear suspension caps (struts) are corroding. Also had the gear linkages renewed too, feels more solid. just another thing i've had done. All for a good cause. :thumbs:Some nice compliments about it too..

pic of her before being put to bed…

Back to the top

Deandubya said

Took her for an MOT.. & passed with 2 advisories - slight play in rear wheel bearings which they said can be tightened & rear suspension caps (struts) are corroding. Also had the gear linkages renewed too, feels more solid. just another thing i've had done. All for a good cause. :thumbs:Some nice compliments about it too..

Very nice! I had the exact same advisories on my last mot for slight play rear wheel bearings, this seems debatable from tester to tester though and can always just nip them up a bit or replace as they're super cheap!

Back to the top
image.jpeg Hoovered and made the dash shine a bit! Time for some nice floor mats

Back to the top

MK1CabbyWhite said

Deandubya said

Very nice! I had the exact same advisories on my last mot for slight play rear wheel bearings, this seems debatable from tester to tester though and can always just nip them up a bit or replace as they're super cheap!

Seems the perennial advisory  - wheel bearings for mk1s!!

Today I took of both front wheels, cleaned them inside, painted calipers black, fitted some shims on the rattly brake pads, sprayed struts black and degreased the arches so nice and red. This is becoming stupidly obsessive now…..!

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Mine gets picked up every year as an advisory for rear wheel bearings, this year I am going to tighten them up more and loosen them off when I get back, garage is only couple of miles away.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Went to visit Rodger at his temporary home the other day, couple of progress photos 

Back to the top
Strip and clean connectors on bodged up horns.. why do people cut loom ? Any how can't find my bag of electrical connectors… so stripped one side of dual horn off..cleaned connectors  cut back sleeve to reach clean wire and got 1 horn working.. all others work directly from battery not through loom. Doh. Still 1 better than none.  20160606_142337.jpg
See attached..haha more horn that Dutch red light district. 

On the drive

Back to the top
Took it for a drive out, got home and admired it for a bit. image.png

Back to the top
Up date…reach my 1000mile driven milestone in yuppie….at 1002 miles yuppie gave up..drove around when for a spin with wife and then picked up her mate for cruise round Retford..drove home engine died…no fuel pump.Tank sucking air in when openned cap. Fuse blown I'm sure due to fuel tank breather..so now looking to strip bits down.  Called recovery but managed to rob a fuse…spares all in other cars not yuppie. Drove home got told off by wife for driving old cars. 20160606_180617.jpg

On the drive

Back to the top
Kenneth Cartwright

That's a classic Kenneth, I do feel for you mate but at least she didn't say "well I didn't enjoy the drive because it was the wrong type of breeze!"  O_o  :lol:  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Really is just a 20amp fuse have spare just didn't have in car… so took dash lights cigar lighter fuse and put in to get home til fitted new fuse. Looked at taking splash guard off to get to breather valve but all bolts siezed so stay with wd40. And will look again later.

On the drive

Back to the top
Last night, replaced a 50mm hose that was 'flimsy' from the air system to the air mainfold (intake is it?) & a new expansion bottle cap - black for blue. The black one was working fine, i've read on here about blue replacing the black… different VW part #'s on the top. not sure of the difference but gave it a change…

managed to source a replacement for this:-

Similar hose to the 'upper' hose now on there.. :thumbs:

Back to the top
20160608_110700.jpg

Deandubya said

Last night, replaced a 50mm hose that was 'flimsy' from the air system to the air mainfold (intake is it?) & a new expansion bottle cap - black for blue. The black one was working fine, i've read on here about blue replacing the black… different VW part #'s on the top. not sure of the difference but gave it a change…

managed to source a replacement for this:-

Similar hose to the 'upper' hose now on there.. :thumbs:

Nice deandubya… I tried a smoke pellet this morning.  Lol 20p wasted..

On the drive

Back to the top
1465484884278-660568507.jpg Have one horn working im still looking for my connectors. Lol but i guess you saw the ebay snails 6£ with relay inc and p&p. 1465484922826-1883542104.jpg will be yrying them weekend.

On the drive

Back to the top
Started the Sportline here in Spain, all good! Just giving him a clean up for his ITV. Was hoping to fit the new pads but it is so hot, might put that one on hold! Drove into Javea in the Freelander to order some wine and saw this nice one! There are loads of them here!! image.jpeg

1992 Red 'Sportline' LHD from France now in Spain,
1991 White' Young Line' GTI LHD from Germany that I can not take to Spain because of Brexit!😒

There are too many online users to list.