Skip navigation

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Back to the top

Just woke him up after 5 months of hibernation in Austria. 

DSC_0376.JPG
IMG-20160402-WA0008.jpg

He started on the button again bless him!   :)  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Took my sportline out for 20 mins blast.. before cover him over for few weeks..  20160331_182738.jpg  

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
yesturday fitted passenger door window and winder and front speakers,this morning got the power hood working i think thats all the niggly bits sorted.

Back to the top
BROTHERS IN ARMS!

DSC_0377.JPG

:)

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top
Wee red brought out of hibernation yesterday  started 1st touch,pleased.😊 WP_20151107_002.jpg

Back to the top
Took the Quartet for a lil spin on the weekend & popped by the local Res for a cuppa with the family… sunshine & fresh air.. :thumbs:

Last night (Tuesday), put a new spade connector on my oil temp sender… wire & original spade had a weak connection little touch & off it came! out with the crimps :thumbs: 

Last edit: by Deandubya

Back to the top
Well mine is also catching some rays after is first wash and brush up for 5 months. 

DSC_0384.JPG

Just letting his hair down before we drive out to the Danube close to Bratislava this afternoon.  Sounds like a long way away from me but it's only 35 minutes from my home.   :thumbs:
DSC_0385.JPG

It's just after 11 and it's already 20 degrees and this is Austria!   :lol:  :thumbs:

OLD.

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top
I cleaned the interior roof liner earlier. Thought I was using some snazzy cleaner my mum had got from her work.

The liner came up great with just two little marks that wont come out!
Turns out I was using Jizer patio and driveway cleaner at a rather strong dilution ratio  :lol:

Ah well the liner actually looks white now and not grey!

Back to the top

Re:

Greavesy said

I cleaned the interior roof liner earlier. Thought I was using some snazzy cleaner my mum had got from her work.

Turns out I was using Jizer patio and driveway cleaner at a rather strong dilution ratio

So can we watch Lionel ritchy dance on your roof liner.
I hope you wore gloves or rinsed your hands in gallons of fresh water. I think the solution will take the lanolin out of the skin and will not replace unless rinsed. And maybe olive or coconut oil applied.

What's next?
Mk1 second project cabriolet
MK1 first project cabriolet

Back to the top

hopsandmovingon said

Greavesy said

Turns out I was using Jizer patio and driveway cleaner at a rather strong dilution ratio

I hope you wore gloves or rinsed your hands in gallons of fresh water. I think the solution will take the lanolin out of the skin and will not replace unless rinsed. And maybe olive or coconut oil applied.

Had disposable gloves on while I did it and wiped down each section after cleaning it with a clean damp cloth. Then applied a coat of PoorBoys Natural look dressing.

Back to the top

Renewed my mc1oc membership.
Thanks for all the support .

What's next?

Back to the top

Re:

Greavesy said

hopsandmovingon said

Greavesy said

Had disposable gloves on while I did it and wiped down each section after cleaning it with a clean damp cloth. Then applied a coat of PoorBoys Natural look dressing.
When I read the post it took me back to using nitromors to clean the paint of my hands.
Yes it worked
Yes it was quiet warm doing so.
And now in the latest product that fails to remove paint from my home door frame I see the dangerous chemicals were removed.
I can feel it now.
Did exactly what it said on the tin.

What's next?

Back to the top
Washed it and cleaned it inside and took it out for my first drive in it.

Now I know what I need to look at first.

Stopping will be top of the list, the breaks not feeling the most responsive.

I don't think My Dad has had it out the garage much since Christmas so it could do with a good run. Best get my garage sorted so I can move it in here.

I'm not scared of spanners but i'm no machanic.

Back to the top
Fitted new powder coated wiper arms and blades 

Fixed passenger door pin that had broken off the door latch

Adjusted gear linkage

Adjusted coilovers ride height and damping

Installed new sunroof handle 

Cleaned, prepped and treated the leather interior which took a lot of care!

Next up is to fix the indicators as they don't auto cancel and then swap the lcd display on my clock with a spare as its no good. 

That's enough for a Sunday! Time to put my feet up and watch the footy!

Mk1 1983 Helios Blue GTI Engineering

Back to the top
Took the car out for a drive as weather was so nice, got irritated by number of rattles from boot which have been there for years so decided to try and fix them.

Tightened up al the screws and bolts I could find, didn't make much difference, then noticed the speakers in the side shelves in the back were really loose.  As I don't have any radio fitted, took speakers out and now much better.

Interestingly when I was out, just driving down a fairly ordinary road into town, passed an unassuming Victorian house and poking out of the drive was a Ferrari 512BB with a chap working on it.  After the double take, a quick U turn and stopped to have a look. A really nice guy, showed me all over car, let me have a sit inside. He uses it quite regularly, definately no a garage queen. Best bit he said next time I am passing and car is out, knock on door and he will take me out for a spin!  Some how I think that will be an interesting trip as he used to race Ferraris a few years ago!

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
My mate dropped this off today. I see lots of head scratching in my future. tmp_7443-20160410_182617778418627.jpg

1982 3 Door - 'BRO' - gone to pastures new
 1990 Clipper Cabriolet - Jet green metallic

Back to the top
Tested my WUR on the car with my mate, got good readings. 22 ohms on regulator & 9.4V on harness connector to show it is working ok… Took out the Air Filter, started it up & flushed the air hoses/throttle body with Wynns, cleaned the meter box too. running a bit rich so needs a tune (lots of stuff done to come to this conclusion) Took her for a spin & felt pretty good, smoother & sounded neater on ticking over - -that was yesterday. Today i felt it was time to get rid of wires that previous owners had put in the car, back seat out, door step trims out, bonnet up…. somebody must have had a server in there or something!! :o heavy wires, aerial connector, phone line connector!!! i kid you not & something that looked like a scart/aux connector for the back of a PC!!! Houston we have a problem… so all out, from under the carpets, traced 2 cables to the battery too.. finally done it. Nice to have it neat & tidy. trims back, moulding on, rear seat back on job done.

Last edit: by Deandubya

Back to the top
Took the covers off the Sportline in Spain, gave him a wash and told him how smart he looked! Started him up and went for a spin around Jesus Pobre with the hood down in 24 degrees. Put him back under the car port and covered him up, ready for another day!

1992 Red 'Sportline' LHD from France now in Spain,
1991 White' Young Line' GTI LHD from Germany that I can not take to Spain because of Brexit!😒

Back to the top

Deandubya said

Tested my WUR on the car with my mate, got good readings. ohms on regulator & 9.4V on harness connector to show it is working ok… Took out the Air Filter, started it up & flushed the air hoses/throttle body with Wynns, cleaned the meter box too. running a bit rich so needs a tune (lots of stuff done to come to this conclusion) Took her for a spin & felt pretty good, smoother & sounded neater on ticking over - -that was yesterday. Today i felt it was time to get rid of wires that previous owners had put in the car, back seat out, door step trims out, bonnet up…. somebody must have had a server in there or something!! :o heavy wires, aerial connector, phone line connector!!! i kid you not & something that looked like a scart/aux connector for the back of a PC!!! Houston we have a problem… so all out, from under the carpets, traced 2 cables to the battery too.. finally done it. Nice to have it neat & tidy. trims back, moulding on, rear seat back on job done.

Are those crocs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
Took the Sportline down the Montgo de Bongo beach bar, parked on the beach, 31 degrees today, watched the sun go down. Saw 2 other rag tops waved a lot! Looked at hi flow radiator from Arron Raidiators, and plan to fit it in the next few days! image.jpg

1992 Red 'Sportline' LHD from France now in Spain,
1991 White' Young Line' GTI LHD from Germany that I can not take to Spain because of Brexit!😒

There are too many online users to list.