Skip navigation

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Back to the top

Got caster Mot… and got him home..removed dead battery from the old timer..and then fired her up.hEavy clutch.  But moved to near garage. Ready for some inspection. Noticed snowy had lost side trim due to car cover blowing off..b.  but drive looks busy. 20160128_155717.jpg

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Did a little more work in the garage last night with the sound proofing - Seems to be taking an eternity to sort… Just rear quarter panel and both front doors to sort and all is good.

New black carpet has also arrived from Newton Commercial so looking forward to getting the car back together soon. :$

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top
Brought it and put it in my garage! Good day I think  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Cleaned up engine from previous owner running it without oil cap on sputsput yuck.
Removed washer bottle and cleaned it replaced hose.
Replaced header tank return hose from v.bad condition.
Booked a fabric roof dye/wash reproofing . Then got headache from hitting garage door in the brrrrr cold.
Next job order better weather.ðŸCEž

What's next?
Mk1 second project cabriolet
MK1 first project cabriolet

Back to the top
Fitted new centre and rear sections as it fell off lol :lol:  :lol:  

20160223_110430.jpg

20160223_110438.jpg

Back to the top

Took mine off the road to start the rebuild, here's me giving him a hug before our last drive!

It's gonna be a slow process, but there's a thread in your cars and projects on here, just look for #DudleywantstheD

62 views (627 Kb)

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
Just took caster for quick 10mile blast around the villages... nice to blow cob webs out of engine bay

On the drive

Back to the top

Kenneth Cartwright said

Just took caster for quick 10mile blast around the villages… nice to blow cob webs out of engine bay

aye the same, give it a right kicking  on the way to work

Back to the top
Actually left the Golf on the drive while the "daily" got MOT'd.
I've actually not driven the "daily" since I got the Golf on the road back in october!

Back to the top
Changed leaking roof hydraulic ram

Hopefully tomorrow I get to bleed it and try it out. Pre roof fit works 

On the drive

Back to the top
In anticipation of the 1st March 16 and summer driving decided to start the car!!!  Only to find waking her up from her winter slumber was going to be a bit more troublesome that usual after all we are all one year older.

After umpteen attempts finally got her started let her warm up before I reversed out the garage only for her to cut out and stubbornly refuse to re start ended up having to push her back in to the garage.

Later on this week as previously planned her engine is going in to get a full overhaul so this grumpy oap behaviour in future will not be tolerated as she will be finally be restored to her joyful youth.

Back to the top
Removed side trim on my new toy… good clean under swage lines. and replace some dodgy clips.. quick rub down with soap to see, paint markings.  Next job, Cd radio in, tape out, new immobilizer, replace blown speakers in door. what size are the fronts again the never ending question..what size speakers..?

sportline now, that's the car i was waiting for….

On the drive

Back to the top

Kenneth Cartwright said

Changed leaking roof hydraulic ram

Hopefully tomorrow I get to bleed it and try it out. Pre roof fit works 

I think I had this issue as well, were you still getting power to the roof but nothing happening?

Follow us on:

Banner

Back to the top

Kenneth Cartwright said

Removed side trim on my new toy… good clean under swage lines. and replace some dodgy clips.. quick rub down with soap to see, paint markings.  Next job, Cd radio in, tape out, new immobilizer, replace blown speakers in door. what size are the fronts again the never ending question..what size speakers..?

Are they round in the front or oblong?

If it's later and they're round its 15cm in the front and 6x4" in the back - if it's oblong it's 6x4" in the front and 10cm in the back :thumbs:

Follow us on:

Banner

Back to the top

36thCrazyFist said

Kenneth Cartwright said

Are they round in the front or oblong?

If it's later and they're round its 15cm in the front and 6x4" in the back - if it's oblong it's 6x4" in the front and 10cm in the back :thumbs:
round mate cheers, yes power was getting there just pumping oil through the top seal on ram.. so wheel well filled with oil..
was a nightmare getting fitting loose in situ. also you need to peel the inner liner, to access the pin and locking clip, from top of ram,change that to  a circlip also.  tools, small hammer, small flat instrument driver,14mm combi spanner, 13/14mm ratchet spanner. and plumbers plier to compress frame to allow circlip removal and frame pin, from top of ram.
Take parcel shelf out that helps also. try to keep the spring washers in correct locations  and give a bit of grease.  will try source a replacement ram, from and get some bulk bought… since the orings are perished, 20yrs old etc

On the drive

Back to the top
Took my rubbish quality 4-2-1 ss mani off my car to send back to RETROFICATIONS who I won't be dealing with again!

You really do get what you pay for what junk!!!

👉2001 Citi Golf Sonic Edition 1.6i 100bhp👈

Back to the top
So the 'No Rush' cabby project has been a chore removing vinyl sticker glue from every panel above the swage line. and stickers from the passenger rear quarter and drivers fron wing.
Resorting to using Petrol (super unleaded no less) after WD40, Sticky stuff remover, meths, white spirit and heavy washing up liquid failed the task.
Pedal rubbers replaced, wiper speed sorted and ordered parts for a complete service, cambelt, water pump, thermostat, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotar, oil, filters and drive belt.  

I call it No rush after the missus said there is no rush to get it built after only owning for a couple of weeks.  She is right but like any project I have done its always taken over my mind and the important things in life miss out (chill baby)…  Must get a thread going on it as its quite involved and hopefully will help others along the way  :thumbs:

Back to the top
 :P I spoke to my mechanic who confirmed the wheels are back from being repaired and re alloyed with 4 new tyres on - still has a problem cold starting and he has stripped the engine back and done all pipes/plugs etc :( also need a new wiper motor as they wipe very very slowly   :'(  apart from this when she is running she is sweet as!!!

Can't wait to get her back on the road! Will need a polish and a bit of interior work done when she is home but the end is near i hope!

Back to the top
Read everyone else's what they did to their mk1 today.
And made a cup of tea.

What's next?
Mk1 second project cabriolet
MK1 first project cabriolet

Back to the top

hopsandmovingon said

Read everyone else's what they did to their mk1 today.
And made a cup of tea.

I always read everyone's just to see if I get inspired. Today drive my daily…bmw 330d to brize Norton. . Come home cuppa tea..then out for drive in new ride…. :P picking next issues to sort… still more fun than being sat at a desk.

On the drive

There are too many online users to list.