Skip navigation

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Back to the top

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Cleaned some trim

Back to the top
Changed the front o/s suspension leg and fitted new Febi top mount, replaced the brake hose at the same time, this all came about after mot ing her 2 weeks ago after parking her up for 3 years, then proceeded to go over a rubber strip road hump that snapped the top on the strut  :P .
Just got to fit the clamp bar that holds the drivers window to the regulator mechanism and wire a more modern radio and I'm done  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Fitted led daytime running lights.  :o

I've been reluctant to do this, but it's the rules in Italy to have your lights on all the time and I'll be there in three weeks and with a 90W dipped beam, don't want to be running these 30+ temperature.  That's my excuse anyway!  :ninja:  
They are linear units that are secured to the lower most fake vent in the clipper kit bumper. Reluctant as I was, they actually look not too bad at all. 

Back to the top
Finished changing all the bushes in the gear-box linkages last night.

Today - off the axle stands and a test drive to make sure I don't have 5 reverse and 1 forward! :)

Back to the top
In addition to my post above -

Got 4 gears and reverse - no first! Looks like back up on the stands and a bit of fine twiddling. :)

Back to the top
Nice one I had the same problem, just before I drove the Sportline to Spain! I had to go up the steepest ramp you have ever seen on the ferry to Santander!! Oh how I love the smell of burning clutch in the morning! Once I pushed and re-seated the new linkage onto the rods, it was fine and has been ever since. Good luck :thumbs:

1992 Red 'Sportline' LHD from France now in Spain,
1991 White' Young Line' GTI LHD from Germany that I can not take to Spain because of Brexit!😒

Back to the top
for a long time now i have been trying to get the gti cabriolet running, having a rusty tank i decided to replace it as well as all new parts for the fuel system the only parts i havent replaced is the lines which go from the tank  to the metering head, but the rest have been replaced for new, also refurbished the rear beam with all new bushes brakes the lot the underneath of the rear end looks new ("just" need to put the rear beam back in). just is the key word haha but finally feel like im getting somewhere with it, as its been stood for the best part of 2 years now, being able to add fuel and other fluids was a brilliant moment for me, after the system had obtained pressure it fired up with easy first go! Well happy and cant wait to bring another mk1 back on the road, the idle is a little high (i think) and the timing is slightly out but runs! cold and warm starts everything :)  :party:

Back to the top
nothing!

and it felt good. :thumbs:

i pressed the little red button

Back to the top

Craigt said

Fitted led daytime running lights.  :o

I've been reluctant to do this, but it's the rules in Italy to have your lights on all the time and I'll be there in three weeks and with a 90W dipped beam, don't want to be running these 30+ temperature.  That's my excuse anyway!  :ninja:  
They are linear units that are secured to the lower most fake vent in the clipper kit bumper. Reluctant as I was, they actually look not too bad at all. 

Craigt, have you got any pictures of the LED lights on the car.

Butleraw '83 Schwarz Black GTI

Back to the top

zorg said

nothing!

and it felt good. :thumbs:

Well it was short lived  :(

Gear linkage started creaking like a b'srd
All lubed up now.

Its literally never ending.

i pressed the little red button

Back to the top
Got a couple of pics today. 

Last edit: by Craigt

Back to the top

Back to the top
Yehh!, eventually.  :ocf_emoticons__clap: not so easy from a BlackBerry z10! (for me) 

Back to the top
Craigt

E994 LUL passed her MOT today no small thanks to Criagt.

After the European trip I have had to work over the weekend and was unable to give her a spruce up before MOT. The thinking was if no problems materialised on the  road in Europe then she stood a fighting chance of getting through with a clean bill of health.

Mentioned prior to submission about the reflectors the MOT station advised I stick them on.

So that is all I did to her put some reflector strips on the rear and she passed her MOT.

Graham

Back to the top

Craigt said

Look good -most I see on older cars just dont look right, but they are fine - a near job.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
fixed the clutch bulk head since it went through, went for some fun in the thunder storms  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Nice one Graham, i'll bet there's plenty of us on here wish it was that simple!, glad the trip went well, I trust you had a good time?

Thanks for the positive comments too guys, as I stated, I've been resisting fitting these for two years and I reckoned that this was the ideal place to locate the lights. I may even give them a little coating of tail light tint just to take that shiny silver effect away a bit. (that way they'll be 'invisible' :-0 )

I wouldn't have bothered getting the pics up if  butleraw hadn't asked! 

Back to the top
Sat in it waiting for recovery.   :P :P  

Back to the top
Came out of storage for the first time since september 2010!

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top

36thCrazyFist said

Came out of storage for the first time since september 2010!

Good on ya!

My tin top came out of hibernation last month, been tucked away since beginning of 2011
There are too many online users to list.