Skip navigation

how much is my cabrio worth?

Back to the top
Hi guys, i was wondering if you could give help me put a valuation on my car? I just sold one of my motorbikes so have about £1500 to spend but i'm struggling to decide if i should spend it fixing this one up or if i should sell it and use the bike and car money for a better quality mk1, or maybe some and some?
Maroon 1987 mk1 golf 1.8 cabrio
-Needs a new roof as the previous owner tried to fix this one and did a bad job so it leaks quite a lot
-The electrics could do with looking at as they can be a tad tempremental but i think its an easy fix
-The filler neck has been 'relocated' to the boot by the previous owner too-interior is in generally ok condition drivers seat has a slight tear in it but the others are okay-Few bits of interior trim missing
-Hole in the back box
-New fan belt
-New alternator adjuster
-New/second hand alternator fitted-New fog light
-Says 147k on the clock but this hasn't changed since owning the car so not actually sure how many miles it has on it
-Bodywork in generally good condition with a few age related marks. There is a scratch and chip on the boot but rest isnt that bad and cleans up quite nicely as you can see from the photos
-Berg cup wide arches just installed
-Deep banded 14" steels with stretched tyres
-Paintwork looks really good when it catches the sun
-Still have the original bumpers and grill with fogs
-Lowered all round on adjustable coilovers
-Rust free as far as i can see except in a few small areas nothing major
-Brand new fuel lines
-Starts runs and drives fine
-MOT until May i believe
-HPI clear
Thats everything i can think of at the moment will add anything else if i think of it!
Cheers for any help i just have no idea what she's worth!

mk1 2.jpg mk1 3.jpg mk1 4.jpg mk1 5.jpg mk1 6.jpg mk1 7.jpg mk1 8.jpg mk1.jpg

Back to the top
1000-1500

Back to the top
Does it have a valid MOT?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Yes it does until the end of may

Back to the top
It's a shame that you inserted a picture 2nd to last because that is what's selling if at all.

Not a project that has been 1/8 started.

That relates to money at the end of the day.
You have narrowed your potential buyer market down considerably.
As we all know it's one thing putting a value on something but parting with the cash is an whole different matter of course.

You probably need someone who really wants to complete the job and if they're are willing to put a Grand in your hand I'd take it! 🤔

There's so much work and expensive needed to take it one way or the other, not many people you'll find are willing to do that with so many other cars out there. 😉

Sent from my Smartphone ☃️

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

how much is my cabrio worth?

Agree with Golf Cabrio. It looked a nice motor before the arches and to get best money I would put it back to that and sell the parts with it or separately.

First question is do you want the car? If no then cut your losses and invest the money elsewhere if yes then crack on with your vision and have a nice motor.

As a side tip paint the arches black satin if going to sell as is they will look a little more finished that way in case there is a buyer that wants a cabby wife arch, but for me they don’t mix. Wide arch for motorsports (always tin tops), cabbies for road (mainly hairdressers only joking)

Good luck with whatever you do and if you want opinions on a golf there are some great people here but ultimately as they tell me all the time - it is your car and your dream (or nightmare).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
I have no idea what it's worth but it will probably be worth more in standard guise.

That being said I like it as it sits. Looks mean and moody.

I'd colour match the arches or go black with them.

At the end of the day you know wht's wrong with this one. If you sold it and bought another it'd still have problems you just wouldn't know what they are!

Good luck with it

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Take arches off and wide wheels.  Put back to 2nd bottom photo.  Worth lot more money  

Back to the top
Tend to agree that this is one of those cases where the time money and effort spent has actually devalued the car…….

At the moment its neither an original or a completed custom job, vastly limiting the market unless you make it that cheap people can't resist

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.