Skip navigation

HELP!!! This car is ruining my life!

Back to the top

HELP!!! This car is ruining my life!

wur gets 12v from fusebox E/14. with the wur and tts, look behind the fusebox at the engien loom. both the wires above end at spade connectors, which then plug into matchign wires from c/18 and e/14. could just be they aint plugged in! obv check wur earth has continuity to ground. also look at the AAV if one is fitted, that gets 12v from same pin as wur.

maybe look at fuel pump wiring, maybe someone bodged a different relay somewhere, that would explain the wur as the original fuel pump wiring wont be powered up no more…

edit: the pins above assume the car is on the later blade fusebox! im getting confused about which car we are talkign about now :lol:

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Haha (87 gti cabby), well I've got a reading now from the wur (didn't realise it needed cranking power) and one from the AAV (which oddly is a - reading).  Still none from the TTS.  Pulled at the wires and there is tension so don't think there is a break.  Will try and have a look at the fusebox area :)

Back to the top
wur is fuel pump live so ya only see power if the pump is on, aav should still be +12v unless you put the probe tips on the plug backwards. though i dont actually think it matters which way wur/aav are wired as they're just electric heaters so should work either way.

when u test ttv and 5th inj you need to put the + probe on the black or red/black wire, and the -ve probe to battery -ve :)

Back to the top
John, I'm glad you realise exactly how useless I am :)  I'll check again with that (ie the correct) method and bet I do have power lol.  

Well I just drove to the gym, and over to the petrol station too after.  She's sweet as a nut accelerating…I'd say better than she's been before :D  Release throttle and you can feel her being lumpy though.  Idle was sometimes spot on and smooth…other times not so.

Went to the petrol station though to fill up with super unleaded (last £5 that went in was from a jerry can and the garage near me doesn't do super unleaded) and I've also put in some Forte Injector Cleaner (don't know if it actually works…but some on here seem to think so).

Other good news…previously after a run the bonnet would feel hot, yet the coolant temperature was never even up to halfway (people told me all was fine and it was just because it was fresh coolant).  Now…coolant temperature gets to halfway and bonnet doesn't get hot (fresh coolant again, but also fresh oil and filters) :D

Going to drive to work tomorrow (35miles/45mins) to see if maybe she just needs a good run out after being sat not running properly for 4 weeks.

BUT it's oh so sweet to be driving her again all thanks to you guys!!!  So thank you thank you thank you (AGAIN!!haha).

Will now go check the TTS wiring again and then rewire it in if there's power.

Back to the top
could be down to a duff aav, if you whip the thing off and give a clean sometimes they revive themselves, tocan apparently adjust them though it wont help if the idle is all over the shop.

great news though you're almost there :D

Back to the top
Well this will be the first time the AAV has been connected since I've had her (the break in the wiring looked OLD!) so it probably does need a clean or something :)

And yes, it'll feel great to be able to do mundane things like tidy my place on my days off again!lol

Back to the top
Well done the last 4 weeks will be a distant memory tomorrow  :lol:

Back to the top
Yup :)  But the things learnt won't be!!!  A few bits and bobs to do first thing in the morning.  She's still leaking a little oil (cannot torque the bolts on the cam cover…they just turn n turn but going to try some washers or something) and on the last drive started idling at nearly 2000 when warm now I've reconnected the tts.  But I can live with these for a day or two :D  Thanks so much for all your help/advice/support etc.  A credit to the community!!!

Back to the top
Don't get too hung up about power to the AAV, WUR, 5th injector or TTS.

They are there only to help with warm up (AAV and WUR) and cold start (other 2). The way they work, with a bi-metallic strip which gradually heats up, means that if the electrics aren't connected, it will still heat up due to convection because its bolted to the engine block etc.

So, get the engine running properly at its normal temperature, then solve the cold start or warm up issues. Don't try to 'sort out' the warm up stuff before this!

Back to the top
Well they all seem powered now anyway :)

But yeah, going to try and get the idle right at least before the drive to work.  And then get booked in to a garage to get the mixture right!  Thanks for your assistance too Paul.

Back to the top
sounds liek your nuts are rounded (ooh err) probably why it was leaking oil the first time round! mk3s good source for nuts in scrappy, you can also remove the studs and put normal bolts in if you want

Back to the top
How did the drive go?

Back to the top
Haha, my nuts are all good John ;)  I thought the same and changed them.  I also tried washers.  Still spinning round so it must be the threads on the studs or the head I'm guessing.  
The drive was successful…in that I got there and back :D  
The car does seem to be getting harder to start each time, and I am getting an aroma of petrol coming through.  Leaky injectors maybe?  At the least I think I need new seals as I know the injectors wobble since me trying (and failing) to pull them out.
Had a dream last night that I got the injectors out…n there wasn't one connected at all to cylinder one!!!  This car is clearly consuming too much of my life now I'm bloody dreaming of the thing too!!!
Well tomorrow I'm taking her to a guy off here who has a garage.  His CO2 tester's packed in, but hopefully he'll be able to have a good look over :)  I shall refrain from saying I hope he can sort my nuts out!!!lol

Back to the top
good luck with it mate, you been to hell and back with this

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
I found I had a disintegrated piece off an old injector lodge in the gap so when I put a new one in it upset the spay and performance of the car, luckily when I investigated said injector the piece came out with it.

Back to the top
hmm, odd the studs have gone since they're new! are you sure the new nuts were the right thread? very odd :s

Back to the top
Well I went to the garage :)  Got the idle spot on etc, and the reason for a lot of stuff (including why she was going like the clappers, smell of petrol etc) was the ignition timing was too advance.

Driving back, the idle changed and crept back up.  And then one of my chrome trims fell off on the A1 (ie no return to save that)!!!!lol.  Aaaaaah god bless her.

Now got bolts over the cam cover and need to change a couple of studs and a few nuts for the rocker cover…basically the kit I got was about £10-15 cheaper than the VW one…and now I know why!!

I've adjusted the idle so it's a bit better when warm, but when cold now it's super low.  Hmmmmm, definitely getting there though :D  Just tinkering now.  He said it'll be fine for the drive to Norwich…just keep an eye on the oil…but should have that leak fixed by then all being well.

So pretty much good news minus a shiny chrome bit!haha

Back to the top
pretty sad that the soap opera is coming to the end of the series, don't know what i'm going to do with myself now..

Back to the top
good to hear all is going well, im chuffed for ya, pity about the trim, I think its my turn for the problems now as mine wouldnt start this morning, had to be tow started lol, daft bit is all is fine again now (eh??) vw's who'd ave em pmsl

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Hahaha littlekris I'm sure it's not!lol  I just think the problems on this thread are all solvable without other's assistance now :D  N I'm sure for those other than myself involved in the soap are glad it's the end of the series! ;)  

N Chris I hope it keeps starting ok for you from now.  They are a nightmare…but I've had reliable cars and my god they're boring.  Where's the fun n satisfaction in a journey if you know for certain you're going to reach your destination?

Thank you again one and all!!  You all deserve to be member of the year I say!!!!  :D
There are too many online users to list.