Skip navigation

Just found my number plate for sale..

Back to the top

Just found my number plate for sale..

X said

to be fair, because i obviously can't register the car in my name until im 17, the car is, by law, my mom's but no one needs to know.. but im guessing if i've got the log book, then the doc is with that

Who told you that?!  If it's your car, you can register it in your name.  Simple as that.  You need to sort this out, now.

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

X said

to be fair, because i obviously can't register the car in my name until im 17, the car is, by law, my mom's but no one needs to know.. but im guessing if i've got the log book, then the doc is with that

Who told you that?!  If it's your car, you can register it in your name.  Simple as that.  You need to sort this out, now.

*ahem* already sorted, read previous page mate :D

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

previous owner may have enquired about its value with them maybe?

you know what these rip off plate places are like, anything to bolster there "supposed" stock list

Besides they cant sell something thats already displayed on a car!

So i answered this in the first post of the thread then :roll:

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

Topoftherange said

you know what these rip off plate places are like, anything to bolster there "supposed" stock list

you did indeed. first prize

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

X said

Ya can register a car in your name at any age, ya just cant drive it or insure it etc

Back to the top
our ford capri was registered in my name when i was 14,

used to drive on a private driving course thing in hornchruch called the cardrome

Back to the top

X said

Topoftherange said

Topoftherange said

you did indeed. first prize

cheers, glad my advice was usefull and appreciated, i shall endevour to post every time i can help someone, or maybe just not bother, think i will follow collo

this place is getting stupid

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

Back to the top
it can get a bit stupid Top of the range (sorry dont know your name) i appreciate your help thats for sure. As do others as well.

Back to the top
I once got a call from one of these places about a plate i had, I said no it wasnt for sale, asked how they got my number and plate details form etc, they said the DVLA, however i then asked what they got for it and I nearly fell off my chair….

so i sold up, made a few quid in it too…

Not saying what the plate was, but i bought from DVLA years ago for ?250, when they called me they said they had someone interested at ?1100, i ummed n aaarred a bit, left them stewing, they then called me back following day and said if i do deal today then I'd get ?1450, so i said yep…
shame i  just blew the cash at the time tho…  :banghead:

Back to the top
HUB 704Y was up for ?375... just not worth it tbh

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

Lawsy said

I once got a call from one of these places about a plate i had, I said no it wasnt for sale, asked how they got my number and plate details form etc, they said the DVLA, however i then asked what they got for it and I nearly fell off my chair….

so i sold up, made a few quid in it too…

Not saying what the plate was, but i bought from DVLA years ago for ?250, when they called me they said they had someone interested at ?1100, i ummed n aaarred a bit, left them stewing, they then called me back following day and said if i do deal today then I'd get ?1450, so i said yep…
shame i  just blew the cash at the time tho…  :banghead:

I got my G60 *** plate fro quite silly low money a few months back, quite a lot less than ?300 to be exact :D  it was advertised on elite registrations by the guy i bought it from for ?895 8O  it might even still be on there :dontknow:

I have seen them change hands for ?500 before, guess you just have to be lucky and find one when nobody else wants one or happens to see it for a bargain

I doubt i will ever lose money on it

Back to the top
it's just one of those lucky things i suppose, my dad's done the same with an old corgi mini that he had… bought it for about ?15ish, then 18 months later, stuck it on eBay cos one went for about ?50, and it ended up at ?135 8O

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Do you still have this car? It was my Dad's from new. 

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

The secretary of state OWNS all number plates and allows them to be displayed on a car

That car is registered to display that plate, nobody else can sell it, as a seller and buyer have to have the certificate of entitlement signed by both parties

there is also an ?80 transfer fee, and a ?25 fee for the buyer to pay to have the certificate of entitlement put in their name

If the plate is already displayed on a car and tranfered to another everything has to be taken to the local DVLA office Log books insurance, mot, tax disc for both doner and receiving car, and the doner then is issued an age related or its "original" reg (if it had one) and the plate cannot be displayed untill all the log books etc are changed into the new details

I recently changed my Corrado`s reg to a "private" one, because my plate was on retention, (not being displayed on a car)  I recieved the certificate in the sellers name, filled my details in, sent it to dvla, recieved it back, signed it again, then sent it back to the seller, who signed it again to relinquish entitlement over to me! who then sent it back to me, i took it to the dvla office and they transfered all the paperwork into this reg and issued new tax disc, new mot and issued certificate so i could get the plates made

So dont sweat it, no one can sell your plate, its not as easy as that or people would sell A 1 and F 1 for 10`s of thousands every week!

Never knew that. Never too old to learn.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.