Skip navigation

What bulbs have you got?

Back to the top

What bulbs have you got?

As its dark and my lights are poo I have decided to upgrade the lights. I have got some crystal lights and an uprated loom and am now deciding wether to go safe and get some Osram Silverstars or explore Ebay for some 'blindin' deals. :?

What bulbs are you guys using?

Silly question, there are 2 bulb holes in the crytals, one for H4's whats the other??? Excuse my laziness, but its dark and raining outside! :wink:

Cheers

Rob

Back to the top
sidelights!

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
Halfords do a 100/80 with a blue/white tint that's very good for the crappy nights we're having at the moment.

Back to the top

yeha said

Halfords do a 100/80 with a blue/white tint that's very good for the crappy nights we're having at the moment.

Take them out before the MOT (depending on relationship with garage) If you want to stay legal OSRAM Silverstars are brilliant. I used to work for OSRAM and test a batch, they do give a better and longer throw of light without question.

The key however is to remember filament bulbs degrade over time. From the moment you first turn them on they start the process of failing. After one season of use they will be noticeably dimmer than when first fitted.

Tian :wink:

Back to the top
Cheers Tian, will pop a set in at the weekend.

Rob

Back to the top
Why take them out? There is no written maximum wattage in UK law. The law states that, for cars MANUFACTURED AFTER 1987 and sold in Europe, all components must be 'E' marked. The only supplier that makes 'E' marked high wattage bulbs is PIAA and they cost around ?40 each. This is why no one fits them and all non 'E' marked bulbs have 'for off road use only'. As stated above, this doesn't affect cars made before 1987 so don't worry about it. Also, with regards to main beam and auxiliary lighting, there are 2 parts to the construction and use regulations. The first part details height, width, use etc, but the second part says that as long as the lighting goes off when dipped you can do whatever you like. This is how Peugeot got away with putting spotlights next to the foglights in the bumper of the 309 GTi and lorries drive around with 8 Hella 3000's mounted on the roof.

Back to the top
As I understand it the law is 55Watts. If you look at the packaging of the Halfords bulb you will see a clear advisory note telling you that they are for 'off road use only'.

It's up to you!

Tian :read:

Back to the top
Another way is to stay with the 55w bulbs, I use the halford Xenon ones, which are buy one get on free :wink: they work well. But they work even better when you do the wiring upgrade. (which you've done)

I did this last year after getting fed up with eye strain, really makes a difference on the golf and you can stay legal. Tian is right, 55w is the maxmum allowed for britsh roads. If the police think your dazzling they will stop  you and fine! A chap at work got fined for having is front fogs on, when it wasn't poor visabilty

Rob :D

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
OK. Here's the law. Feel free to read it and then tell your mates, the 'expert' MOT inspector, police, etc, that they are wrong.

If the police think your dazzling they will stop you and fine! A chap at work got fined for having is front fogs on, when it wasn't poor visabilty.
That's because both of these are illegal.

I was wrong about the date of E marking implementation which is 1st April 1986.

Back to the top
Cheers for everyones help, might get some genuine before and after pics with the old versus uprated loom and new bulbs if I can be bothered!

Yeha, looks like you have a bit of a light fetish going on judging by the front of your golf! :lol:

Thanks again

Rob

Back to the top

yeha said

OK. Here's the law. Feel free to read it and then tell your mates, the 'expert' MOT inspector, police, etc, that they are wrong.

If the police think your dazzling they will stop you and fine! A chap at work got fined for having is front fogs on, when it wasn't poor visabilty.
That's because both of these are illegal.

I was wrong about the date of E marking implementation which is 1st April 1986.

I'm going to assume that you are the 'expert' you refer to in your previous post.

Unfortunately the link supplied is encoded for 'experts' only, not poor stoopid folk like myself as this is all I get.

???F?L?g?/?r?????????>=????>=/B?J??????/?r????????????????>=
/B?J?????????????????????w<sum>??[??????N??s/????|?????????>=
/B?J??[????L???????????k?N????e/I????>=/B?J??[????L?M????????
????????????R??????L??<=?????????????????????w<sum>??[??????N
??s/????|?????????[????????????[?I?L???????????b????/???????b
????/???????b?????????S???g????????????/????g???J???????J????
????????[?????????????}fifi????????????g?????/???????i?????á?
????\??????^?????b???J/u?_?????R/??r?y??X?//??fi!=?R????b?R??
???C????/p??\???????????a?`?|???//??fi!=?????/q???????????L??
fl????????????????????a?/?????N?t?????????^/??fi!=??????????¬
???<sum>????e????K??^????\????^?????^????a?`?|???//??fi!=/???
?b/????C????/p??\????f?????!=???d???????q?????^????/??[??????
????T?}??????????????????n???????????????i?????p??^/??fi!=???
???????¬???<sum>????e????K??^????\????^?????^????a?`?|???//??
fi!=/????b/????C????/p??\????f?????!=???d???????q?????^??????
p?????????????/??????????????????????????a???????u???????????
?[????????u?/O???<breve>???????????/O??g?/O??f?<pi>?????f????
?????????f??!=????N?<breve>???m???????????f?????f?N?????J????
????[???^???|???r???/L?}?<breve>????Ûr?[??????fi??U/?????????
??/?????????`?|????/??J???????????g?}???x??f?÷??????????}????
/???????????g?}?w?<=??/?/O?<breve>?/?????e??g?/O???/?????????
?R?<breve>??????????k???????????/?????_????????<pi>/?}????k?u
?<breve>?/?????

Thanks anyway.

Tian 8)

Back to the top
Have not read it but here it is

Statutory Instrument 1989 No. 1796
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

? Crown Copyright 1989

Statutory Instruments printed from this website are printed under the superintendence and authority of the Controller of HMSO being the Queen's Printer of Acts of Parliament.

The legislation contained on this web site is subject to Crown Copyright protection. It may be reproduced free of charge provided that it is reproduced accurately and that the source and copyright status of the material is made evident to users.

It should be noted that the right to reproduce the text of Statutory Instruments does not extend to the Queen's Printer imprints which should be removed from any copies of the Statutory Instrument which are issued or made available to the public. This includes reproduction of the Statutory Instrument on the Internet and on intranet sites. The Royal Arms may be reproduced only where they are an integral part of the original document.

The text of this Internet version of the Statutory Instrument which is published by the Queen's Printer of Acts of Parliament has been prepared to reflect the text as it was Made. A print version is also available and is published by The Stationery Office Limited as the The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, ISBN 0110977963. The print version may be purchased by clicking here. Braille copies of this Statutory Instrument can also be purchased at the same price as the print edition by contacting TSO Customer Services on 0870 600 5522 or e-mail:customer.services@tso.co.uk.

Further information about the publication of legislation on this website can be found by referring to the Frequently Asked Questions.

To ensure fast access over slow connections, large documents have been segmented into "chunks". Where you see a "continue" button at the bottom of the page of text, this indicates that there is another chunk of text available.

STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS

1989 No. 1796

ROAD TRAFFIC

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

Made  28th September 1989  
Laid before Parliament  11th October 1989  
Coming into force  1st November 1989  

ARRANGEMENT OF REGULATIONS

PART I  
Preliminary  
1.  Commencement, citation and revocation  
2.  Statement under section 43(3) of the Road Traffic Act 1988  
3.  Interpretation  
4.  Exemptions?General  
5.  ?Temporarily imported vehicles and vehicles proceeding to a port for export  
6.  ?Vehicles towing or being towed  
7.  ?Military vehicles  
8.  ?Invalid carriages  
9.  ?Vehicles drawn or propelled by hand  
10.  Provision as respects the Trade Descriptions Act 1968  
PART II  
Regulations Governing the Fitting of Lamps, Reflectors, Rear Markings and Devices  
11.  Colour of light shown by lamps and reflectors  
12.  Movement of lamps and reflectors  
13.  Lamps to show a steady light  
14.  Filament lamps  
15.  General requirements for electrical connections  
16.  Restrictions on fitting blue warning beacons, special warning lamps and similar devices  
17.  Obligatory warning beacons  
18.  Obligatory lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices  
19.  Restrictions on the obscuration of certain lamps and reflectors  
20.  Optional lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices  
21.  Projecting trailers and vehicles carrying overhanging or projecting loads or equipment  
22.  Additional side marker lamps  
PART III  
Regulations Governing the Maintenance and Use of Lamps, Reflectors, Rear Markings and Devices  
23.  Maintenance of lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices  
24.  Requirements about the use of front and rear position lamps, rear registration plate lamps, side marker lamps and end-outline marker lamps  
25.  Requirements about the use of headlamps and front fog lamps  
26.  Requirements about the use of warning beacons  
27.  Restrictions on the use of lamps other than those to which regulation 24 refers  
PART IV  
Testing and Inspection of Lighting Equipment and Reflectors  
28.  Testing and inspection of lighting equipment and reflectors  

SCHEDULES

1.  Obligatory lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices  

2.  Front position lamps  

3.  Dim-dip devices and running lamps  

4.  Dipped-beam headlamps  

5.  Main-beam headlamps  

6.  Front fog lamps  

7.  Direction indicators  

8.  Hazard warning signal devices  

9.  Side marker lamps  

10.  Rear position lamps  

11.  Rear fog lamps  

12.  Stop lamps  

13.  End-outline marker lamps  

14.  Reversing lamps  

15.  Rear registration plate lamps  

16.  Warning beacons  

17.  Side retro reflectors  

18.  Rear retro reflectors  

19.  Rear markings  

20.  Pedal retro reflectors  

21.  Front retro reflectors  

22.  Diagram showing where unlit parking is not permitted near a junction  

23.  Example of marking showing the vertical downwards inclination of the dipped-beam headlamps  

Explanatory Note

Other UK SIs | Home | National Assembly for Wales Statutory Instruments | Scottish Statutory Instruments | Statutory Rules of Northern Ireland | Her Majesty's Stationery Office  

We welcome your comments on this site  ? Crown copyright 1989  Prepared 20th September 2000

Back to the top
yawn.......

Back to the top
Yawn?

So you'd rather listen to armchair experts than actually found out what you are allowed to do?

I didn't call anyone a liar, put anybody down, just tried to tell you what the law says.

Back to the top
Yeha, I regret putting yawn as it seems a bit childish, but I have just read the document and it is complete political jargon. Very hard to understand. Although I am now aware that I have to have one light on if I am pulling my car by hand at night on a Tuesday.

Joking aside, is there anywhere in that document it actually says you can specifically run or not run 100w lamps?

I did genuinely try to read through it all and picked up on the bit where it says that parking lamps are illegal. And the spacings of lights and degrees etc.

Can you copy and paste the relevant bit, not trying to start a silly forum argument as after all I only wanted to find out what the best lights are as I drive down country lanes to work and back and would like to see the deer and horses before they make a mess of my car!

Sorry if it caused offence.

Back to the top
Found a section but it wont let me paste it in.

There is not a definite restriction in place as Yeha stated. Although I think I will stick with 55's.

Back to the top

yeha said

Yawn?

So you'd rather listen to armchair experts than actually found out what you are allowed to do?

I didn't call anyone a liar, put anybody down, just tried to tell you what the law says.

Wow, I'll have to make sure I have all that with me when I fit my own replica Wembley Stadium to the front of my Mk1. I'm sure the Police would just love it. Or just stick to 55Watts and get my eyes tested regularly!

Tian  8)

Back to the top
however the law is alwasy open to interpretatitn

''
Restrictions on the use of lamps other than those to which regulation 24 refers
    27.    No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle on which any lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon of a type specified in an item in column 2 of the Table below is used in a manner specified in that item in column 3.
TABLE(1) (2) (3)
Item No.  Type of lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon  Manner of use prohibited  
1 Headlamp

(a)  Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

(b)  Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

2 Front fog lamp

(a)  Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

(b)  Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

©  Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

so if an officer of the law believes u are dazzling or causing discomfort to other persons , your nicked son!

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top

cabriaulait said

so if an officer of the law believes u are dazzling or causing discomfort to other persons , your nicked son!

That's the last time I flash someone out of a junction.

Seriously though. Why anyone needs more light than the standard 55Watts is beyond me. I don't do personal digs I just don't get it. Even on unlit country roads if your bulbs are relatively new and the wiring is upto scratch you have to ask why you can't see well enough to drive? Is it confidence or poor vision? Everyone else copes okay!

Tian :dontknow:

Back to the top
theres a difference between seeing enough to drive ok and seeing everything the same as day.

i nearly had a m8 who was walkin home the other night, i wasnt drivin too quick but he was dressed in dark clothes, there was no light apart from my full beam and he just didnt stand out, had to swerve to avoid him at the last moment, it was a narrow road , if someone was on the other side they would of copped it tbh.
no streetlamps, narrow roads, highhedges and a pedestrian in dark clothes, mmmm scary

and no tian they dont cope ok, more people are killed on rural roads at night than any other time

rebuild in progress....
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.