Skip navigation

Headlight Upgrade

Back to the top

Headlight Upgrade

To everyone wanting brighter lights - here's a bright idea:

Quicksilver Automotive has just launched a Xenon upgrade kit - 40% increase in output with a 50% decrease in power consumption.

The swap over is pretty starightforward (I am told) although two transformers need to be plumbed in.

Entire kit including two new lights costs ?281.98 - Quicksilver telephone 0121 733 7000.

That should do it!

M

Back to the top
You are joking! That's very reasonably priced isn't it!!!!

Is there a website I have have a trawl through and do you know anyone who had actually completed the swap?

EDIT:
Okay I've had a quick look on the site and I'm confused. you see I thought the law was quite clear on this, you can't retro fit HID lamps without some sort of built-in washing system and an automatic self levelling mechanism.

How can they fit it for such a lo, low price and without the required levelling and cleaning equipment. This is essential to prevent blinding other road users.

Tian 8O

Back to the top
Not know Tian.  Give 'em a ring and ask.  Quicksilver is in the business and they have launched the product.  They should be able to answer all your enquiries.

I have zip interest in a headlight upgrade myself.  I find the lights on my 1985 Mark 1 cab perfectly adequate in all conditions and certainy a quantum leap from the lights on my old 6 volt VW beetle.

I have no idea what the legals are  - never researched it.  I made the original post as a service to others in response to a repeating thread about headlight upgrade options.

M

Back to the top
Drive a Corrado and then tell me Mk1 headlights need upgrading!  :lol:

TBH though there are alot cheaper options for upgrading the Mk1 headlights (sub ?50) and don't think I could justify spending that much just to see a bit better

it's far more fun to just use The Force  :lol:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top

PhillTMK1GTI said

TBH though there are alot cheaper options for upgrading the Mk1 headlights (sub ?50) and don't think I could justify spending that much just to see a bit better

Couldn't put it better myself.

Tian :lol:

Back to the top

Tian said

PhillTMK1GTI said

Couldn't put it better myself.

I always hear about Corrado lights being poor but my VR6 lights were great and as far as I'm aware they were standard. My cabby lights are pretty good as well but it was fitted with new lights in 2001 when it was imported to the UK so it might just be because they are newer.

'91 Cabriolet

Back to the top
:dontknow: strange, mine's definately alot worse than the Mk1 (both cars standard) so expect the corrado's wiring needs looking at  :roll: but it is a 1990 model, VW might have addressed the issue by the time the VR6 came out  :dontknow:

think the only time someone will be shocked over the original Mk1 lighting is if they're wiring is losing amps and/or have gone from a new car to a Mk1

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Cheapest option is surely to fit uprated bulb -80watt or similar with a simple relay system feeding them via a fuse straight off the battery. I did this to a mk1 years ago and the results were amazing…haven't got round to it on my current mk 1 though - too many other jobs needed!

Back to the top
As oldfart says, the relay mod with uprated bulbs works a treat use 2 relays for safety). Costs no more than ?35. No need to spend nearly ?300... Put towards some head work done or some coilovers instead!

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top

Oldfart said

Cheapest option is surely to fit uprated bulb -80watt or similar with a simple relay system feeding them via a fuse straight off the battery. I did this to a mk1 years ago and the results were amazing…haven't got round to it on my current mk 1 though - too many other jobs needed!

You make that sound so easy.

Tian :dontknow:  :lol:

Back to the top

headlight upgrade

That's because it is! A couple of hours, atwo relays, two 100/80w bulbs or similar, a couple of metres of cable and a few spade connectors!
If I get round to doiung it on mine I'll take some photos, although I would guess that somebody may have already done this ( I'm not brilliant at searching this site past posts…must be me age!)
Any answers to my query about relay for intermittent rear wiper out there?
cheers,

Oldfart

Back to the top
Did it on my campaign and very easy

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
I think matey-matey has a guide on how to do it...

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Seems I may have started something…

Anyway - for thise who want an HID upgrade here is another suggestion:

www.hid4u.co.uk

They claim to have available MOT approved HID upgrade kits for Mk1 golfs October 1974 to October 1983 and Mk2 GTI / G60 upgrade kits March 1984 to Feb 1992 .

They also have cool stuff like ice blue LED interior lights and extra brightness bulbs for dash illumination.  Wonder what an ice blue interior light that would be like?

M

Back to the top

Michael said

Seems I may have started something…

M

I would say so! It's called a 'thread' The forum's full of them.

Tian :twisted:  :lmao:

Back to the top
Thanks T.  Very helpful.  Good old "tell us another one Tian"  

I  look forward to the next contribution from "split your sides Tain" I am sure it will be as valuable as the last.

Keep 'em coming T -  more of those.  You always have something constructive to say

www.hid4u.co.uk prices a ?207 as against ?287 from the original post.  

Tian - do you smoke a pipe by any chance?

M

M

Back to the top
Even at ?207 it's still far too much for the additional level of lighting over and above the simple relay and 100/80w bulbs upgrade…

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
could be right but from he forum there appears to be a FAQ on HID upgrades.

?200 for Xenon lights in a mk1 ?  Hmmm - yeah - probably too much but there it is

M

Back to the top

Michael said

Thanks T.  Very helpful.  Good old "tell us another one Tian"  

I  look forward to the next contribution from "split your sides Tain" I am sure it will be as valuable as the last.

Keep 'em coming T -  more of those.  You always have something constructive to say

www.hid4u.co.uk prices a ?207 as against ?287 from the original post.  

Tian - do you smoke a pipe by any chance?

M

M

Ooops, sorry mate do accept my apologies. Honestly didn't realise you were quite so tense. It was only a joke! Do remember it's a public forum, where all are welcome, old farts and those of us who are wet behind the ears. I have no prejudice against anyone even people with no sense of humor and a chip on their shoulder.

Oh and I don't smoke.

Much love and good humor to all.

Back to the top
take this off line.  Tain - Contact me via the private message board.

Miochael Paull
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.