Skip navigation

Cleaning vinyl hoods

Back to the top

Cleaning vinyl hoods

mk1golfgtisportline said

i simply dont know if ive got a vinyl roof. how do i find out? ive got a 92 rivage blue with dark blue hood. also how many bottles did u use to do the job? and does it just clean the roof? ive got faded lines where the bars are across the roof….anyone know how to combat this?

If its an original hood? the Rivage came with Mohair….its like a really heavy cotton fabric..simple test is does it have real cotton stitching on the seams and edges or does it have moulded plastic "fake" stitching?  my sportline now has a mohair but it did originally have a vinyl type from new

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
what d'you reckon it would cost to get the stuff sent to somewhere outside the UK? (Denmark)

Bjarke R?nn Knudsen

'89 Golf Cabrio 1,8 White Ed.

Back to the top
for info… I tried UPVC cleaner from B&Q but it was useless.

Current:   Porsche 914 1973
Previous: Ghia, Golf Country 3 Trekkers, 2 Bugs, Trabby, Split Ambulance, Iltis etc.

Back to the top

lennyhope said

for info… I tried UPVC cleaner from B&Q but it was useless.

If you want me to get you some that does work, let me know (I'm your local 'supplier' after all!!) It may also depend on what cloth you were using cause a plain cotton shirt wouldn't work, you'd need a towel or similar to get into the grain.

Dan

Back to the top
Yep…I had thought of the GAP stuff.  Thought I'd try what I found in B and Q.  It didn't seem to take any dirt off whatsoever.  Do you have stock of the GAP liquid??  Does your hood need doing again after the winter?

Previous: Ghia, Golf Country 3 Trekkers, 2 Bugs, Trabby, Split Ambulance, Iltis etc.

Back to the top

lennyhope said

Yep…I had thought of the GAP stuff.  Thought I'd try what I found in B and Q.  It didn't seem to take any dirt off whatsoever.  Do you have stock of the GAP liquid??  Does your hood need doing again after the winter?

My mate is a window fitter and gets his stuff from GAP. If I don't see him I go myself and buy from the trade counter. Last time I went it was under £3.00 a bottle.

My hood is nearly 6 years old now and has got dirty again since I last did it at All Types in May last year. As you'll know, you need to keep on top of them regulary especially if they are kept outside.

Dan

Back to the top
Can you just go in to the trade counter as a member of the public?

Have fun tomorrow at Dubfreeze.  Not going this year.  I kind of go every other year…Costs a lot just to go down, pay a tenner to get in and come out with a gromit or something from GSF stand…Mmmmm.  Not too bad if you are in the display.  A few years since I did that…Done that a few times with aircooled cars.

Back to the top

lennyhope said

Can you just go in to the trade counter as a member of the public?quote]

I've got 2 bottles being dropped off at my house tonight. ?2.50 each. If you fancy a ride up and collect one then thats ok by me!!!

Dan

Back to the top
Great.  If you can hold one for me I can have a ride up later in the week maybe.  Thanks. :D

Back to the top

lennyhope said

Great.  If you can hold one for me I can have a ride up later in the week maybe.  Thanks. :D

No problem, I'll leave it in the porch just in case I get tied up at work.

other than that I'll be at Ultimate Dubs at the weekend.  :lol:

Dan

Back to the top
Lennyhope…. How did your hood come up after you used the solution?

Dan

Back to the top
I've been doing small bits but not much difference really…..I'll keep trying.  What do you use on your hood bag??

Back to the top

lennyhope said

I've been doing small bits but not much difference really…..I'll keep trying.  What do you use on your hood bag??

Are you using a towel as a rag and putting plenty of solution on it? I did mine again last Monday and it came up a treat - for the 3rd time.

I used Flash liquid on the tonneu cover but I've considered putting it in the washing machine cause the inside of it's dirty and leaves marks on the inner hood lining after its been on for a while.

Back to the top

re

Using a towel………..

Will washing machine be ok?  Was the GAP cleaner ok on the 'tonneau', then?

Back to the top

Re: re

lennyhope said

Using a towel………..

Will washing machine be ok?  Was the GAP cleaner ok on the 'tonneau', then?

Thats what I wondered… and the reason why I haven't done it!!! The heat of the water may not be good for it, plus the bungie clips etc could get stuck in the holes and damage the machine/ cover. I've got a VAX machine and need to do the front seats when its warm so will give the interior of the hood cover a clean then. If you want me to do yours at the same time, you could come up on the day. PM me your number so I can let you know.

I haven't used the GAP stuff on the outside of the tonneau cover.. yet!

Back to the top
I used standard thinners on mine, you may be thinkingI'm mad but ittook the crap out of it no danger without damaging the hood at all.

I then ripped it taking it off the car.  :banghead:

Nathan

Back to the top
Looks clean!!!  8)

Everyone, believe!!  :pray: because it does work.  :wink:

Even on dark colours without bleaching either.

Back to the top
hi seen you been spending money on vinyl care products lol whats the point? a little tip i learnt off of the novaload forum that a mate of mine is a member of and for all their vinyl they use peanut butter although me and my mate used PEANUT OIL for his vinyl bumpers and side vinyl they came out looking like the brand new bumper he had paid ?170 for just weeks earlier now he is gutted he bought it.

what it does :-
well the natural oil in the peanuts replaces the oils that vinyl looses with dirrect sunlight.
also stops vinyl from cracking

walked around the performance vauxhall show on sunday and all i could smell was peanut butter lol it made me so hungry

try it people you will be very surprised at the result just remember to wash it off properly because if you dont it leaves behind i white residue this is why we used peanut oil instead of peanut butter.

gaz

keep on dubbing

Back to the top
I'd never heard of using peanut anything before about 2 weeks ago, it sounds a lot cheaper than AutoGlym products!!!

I'll give it a go on the bumpers. I'm happy with the roof now.  :lol:

Back to the top
I doubt peanut butter will clean tho!

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.