Skip navigation

Clipper MK1 Gear Box Sticky and Speedo not working

Back to the top

Clipper MK1 Gear Box Sticky and Speedo not working

Hi please be gentle with me as im new to the VW Golf mk1 owners club.

My golf has no speedo working along with the gear box having trouble selecting second and popping out in fith some times. Please can you someone offer some advice?? :banghead:

Many thanks  

Pr_76

Back to the top
sounds like the speedo cable snapped and the gear on the end has fallen off and floating around in the gearbox. See my post on spedo drive gear lost in gearbox.

Cheers

Back to the top
Trouble selecting 2nd and popping out of 5th are common issues with the Mk1 Golf (020) gearbox. It will probably start crunching into reverse soon, too, this is another common issue. The other one is exploding, the diff is riveted on instead of being bolted on, and sooner or later one of the rivets comes off and makes a bid for freedom through the gearbox casing.

The only real remedy is replacing with a reconditioned gearbox, so it depends how much of an issue it is day-to-day whether you decide to do this or not.

Apparently people have seen temporary improvements by changing the gearbox oil and/or adding some kind of additive to the oil.

The speedo not working sounds like a speedo cable issue, as detailed above.

Welcome to the club…

Back to the top
Gents thanks for the response.

How much should i be looking to pay for a reconditioned gearbox??

Back to the top

pr_76 said

Gents thanks for the response.

How much should i be looking to pay for a reconditioned gearbox??

Probably around ?350-450 or more. Or you can take your chance with a secondhand box, these typically go for ?50-100. A garage would normally charge ?80-200 to swap a box (varies a lot between garages). If you're swapping the box, it would make sense to look at the clutch and replace this if worn, so add around ?50 or more for this too.

Back to the top
Thanks Paul.

Will go for a recondition gearbox not a second hand one. If anyone knows or has experaince of supplier and fitter please let me know. :lol:

Will be talking to this company tommorrow.

Hardy Engineering - Gearbox Repairers in London & Surrey
There are too many online users to list.