Skip navigation

1.1 Carb problems

Back to the top

1.1 Carb problems

Hi my 1981 mk1 golf c 1.1 refuses to idle when you take it off choke, I was wondering if I could replace my carb with that from a 1.3? And if so would it run any better or if not what other suggestions are there?

Any help will be much appreciated

thanks.

Back to the top
When you say refuses to idle do you mean the engine dies unless you keep the revs up or the revs hunt up and down?

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
get some carb cleaner from your local motor factor, give it a propper blasting, and see how it goes.

it could be that it needs a tune, or that you havent let it warm up enough.

Back to the top
Id like some help on this too, i have a 1.1 c with a weber carb on it. it runs rough as a bears arse for the first 5-10 mins then sweet as a nut. like when i set off it splutters and judders - got to give it some real juice! only does it in the mournings too :?

Greg

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
Ha ha u discribed that really well because thats exactly what mine does :?

Splutters and jolts and then u give it a bit of drop clutch and rev it to hell and its good lol after about 10 mins!!!

I think 1.1 are just little buggers! is it not my plugs then im confused on what it is :(

Mk1's Rock   \m/

Back to the top
if it never sits nicely, then it could be the warm up regulator?

just a thought.

Andrew

Back to the top
Not just mine than eh? im goin to clean out the carb and chokes, renew all plugs, magnex leads, new rotor arm too - u do that too, i replaced the rotor arm on my other and it made a world of difference! oh and pour in a bottle of redx :wink: i also had a tamper with the air filter, a k&n works wonders! just not when its wet! 8O

i know what u mean, its a little odd sod, but if urs does it too it might be normal?? :?  what milage has urs done?

Greg 8)

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
79.??? not sure!!! and i am just gettin new plugs i think!!! mine is fine wen i stop at lights it stop splittering and jolting but u put up foot donw to go lol and the bugger starts again haha!!!

My mum was saying its going to blow up and i just turned to her and said shut up lol!!! :lol:

Mk1's Rock   \m/

Back to the top
No mine doesnt do that, only when its cold, mournings espesh :dontknow:
thats not bad, mine has 82 which is still very low :wink: ditto! my parents were anti mk1 too :evil:  my mum is full converted now tho :wink:  she had one of my old mk2's.

n i get that every day from the lads at college and work! - blown up yet?

they dont understand!!

Greg 8)

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
These cars will rise from the ashes :wink: They live forever in my eyes and mine only does it when cold i ment lol!!! :(

Mk1's Rock   \m/

Back to the top
Firstly, its not the warm up regulator because these are only fitted to fuel injection engines.

Secondly, when were the plugs and points changed? Also, how clean is the rest of the ignition system - leads, inside and outside of distributor cap, low tension wiring connections, coil?

Have you checked the ignition timing, both for base timing and that the vacuum and mechanical advance are working too?

Back to the top
how do you know all this Paul when you dont own a 1.1 lol :lol:

Mk1's Rock   \m/

Back to the top

xxchrissixx said

how do you know all this Paul when you dont own a 1.1 lol :lol:

Cos its a conventional ignition system like any other 70s or 80s car would have!

Back to the top
:? ooook then

Mk1's Rock   \m/

Back to the top
The other thing you can check easily, is the resistance of the coil (both HT and LT circuits) and the resistance of the leads.

If you have it, a check with the gas analyser is handy. But it sounds overwhelmingly like an ignition (not fuel) problem to me.

After that, you'd have to swap test components, or hook the car up to more sophisticated equipment which can measure the voltage (in kilovolts) being delivered to each spark plug.

Back to the top
Wa Hey!!!

I changed the Plugs yesterday and it is as sweet as a nut now :D

Im sooo proud of myself :D

Mk1's Rock   \m/

Back to the top
Do you have to do the old pull the choke out in anticipation of stoping rountine?

The one thing I would recommend doing is replacing the flexible mount between the carb and the intake manifold. This has a tendancy to crack with old age. Replacing this in conjunction with a thorough clean up/replacement of various parts of the ignition system as previously mentioned in this post made a vast improvement on my now dearly departed lemon yellow 1.1 many years ago…

It pains me to think I scrapped a solid mk1 shell, I think the amount of rust in my current resto is some kind of sick mk1 retribution…

Back to the top
Yup i have the old manual chock and they are great lol i just pull it out on cold day when i am about to pull up at lights or something and then it doesnt stall haha!!!

Oh the tricks of the trade i just hope it wont damage the car :dontknow:  8O

Chrissie xxx

Mk1's Rock   \m/

Back to the top
It won't damage the car, it may damage your wallet, sorry purse when it comes to the fuel consumption even though 1.no alot's do run on fresh air compared my GTI…

J

Back to the top
Oh thats ok aslong as im not hurting the car :D

Mk1's Rock   \m/
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.