Having Major Electrical probs

Back to the top

Having Major Electrical probs

After failing the MOT on
Fog lights not working
Horn not working Just a constant circuit when I connect it up
Reverse lights not working properly(were not picked up) constantly on

and half my Interior wiring loom shot
How hard would it be to rewire the car with fresh wire and does anybody know if it's still possible to get the same colour wires so everything still ties in with the manual?
Just my head is done in :banghead:

Thanks

1983 GTI-Black

MY very first one AND LOVING IT!!!!!

Back to the top
YOU CAN GET A SECOND HAND LOOM I HAD THE SAME PROB ITS NOT THAT HARD TO FIT MOST PLUG AND PLAY  I GOT MINE OF SCOUSE NOT THAT EXPENCIVE AT ALL  http://www.1golfahead.co.uk/

Back to the top
Reverse lights not in MOT but would have thought an advisory if on all time confusing other road users?? Pull plug off gearbox switch.

Horn circuit is live (ign on), its earthed by the steering wheel push. They require big current and lots on here have had problems, check relay clicks and try and it with just one horn if you have the twin setup.

Use a multimeter to check where the fog light volts are getting or not. Check fuse and bulb.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Ok will try all the above and thats all for all the help and Encouragement to keep going and not sell up

1983 GTI-Black

MY very first one AND LOVING IT!!!!!

Back to the top
dont give up its never as bad as you think

Back to the top

GWtaylor said

MY very first Golf AND LOVING IT!!!!!

:mrgreen: minor problems !! keep at it .

Back to the top
If you have the clicking noise on the relay when you press the horn then things are looks ok. Try moving the steering wheel a little while pressing the pads, the brass ring under the wheel wears away in the 12/6 o'clock position (I can't remember now) and the springy thing underneath doesn't quite make contact.

I had that problem, went through the whole taking everything off and shorting the horn to eliminate things and all it needed was the steering whell to be mounted a couple of notches off centre on the splines. Its worked ever since.

Dan

Back to the top
check your earths in the boot aswell, with fog and reverse not working, also if you could get a loan of another steeringwheel to try to see if the horn works, take st/wheel off and examine the small copper tag at the bottom of the switch area, it could be damaged or touching permanent, dont give up on the motor, walk away for a day and go back to it with a fresh head 8)

There are too many online users to list.