Skip navigation

engine knocking help !

Back to the top

engine knocking help !

yes got a mk4 1969 austin healey sprite as well great fun in the summer.
took it up prescote hill climb last year. planning a 95 bhp engine this year, i has allready got a brand new stage 3 jamspeed head just need a block to cope with it now. :banghead:
only trouble is the wife has me building a new kitchen and the problem with the golf is setting me back a bit
to mr gti want a TVR :dance:

1983 lhasa green mk1 1.8 gti

old skool baby

Back to the top
I have a thick flange block in my garage including crank and pistons, has an oil control ring gone ;o( !!!! and the rest of my midget less recon engine and gearbox. its in my dads garage waiting breaking has bent chassis leg.

I drove mine as a daily driver for a year before the accident!

Rob :D

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mgmidget

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
looked the part , i would show you a picture of mine if i new how :dontknow: i would possabley be intrested in some bits and the block  but cornwall, a long way to go from brum.

old skool baby

Back to the top
took the sump of the weekend and yes all the mains and big ends are scored    doh      :banghead:      got some strange stuff in bottem of the sump aswell,  its not like metal but more like grit. dont know, all i know is when i brought the car it had no air filter and had loads of oil in the air intake has this mixed and corsed me problems or have i just cained it to much or did the engine builders not clean it properly which they will not admit to or have i got it dirty from collecting engine then fitting it two weeks later after respray.    all i know is i have to run back in again now once new shells come
ps. going to use 20/50 oil to run in for 500 then semi 15/40 after
then i might caine it after about 1000000 miles  :mrgreen:

old skool baby

Back to the top

berty said

to mr gti want a TVR :dance:
err no not really, i love the sound of them and have driven quite a few but I cant afford to run one at the moment and would rather have something more practical yet fast at the same time hence why I had the Impreza.

The grit you found in your engine could well be particals from not running a filter but they tend to muck up the carb not get into the oil but if they got passed the valves then maybe. Its more likely to be really fine bits of your engine ground down into what now looks like grit. I would use a decent mineral oil to start with once you've re-built it and stick to a decent brand, then goto a semi once fully run in

Back to the top

berty said

looked the part , i would show you a picture of mine if i new how :dontknow: i would possabley be intrested in some bits and the block  but cornwall, a long way to go from brum.

give us a PM if you want anything, can post  :wink:

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
ok finished kitchen so i can now start playing with cars again untill the wife has another decorating challenge for me.
right where was i , the golf was knocking so i changed the mains the big ends and the thrush end float things. i put it all back together with love and nice running in oil and yes it still knocks no change what so ever.so its not the bottem end,some say its it could be the little ends,some say it could be a loose cam belt or cam belt pully,crank pully or even the. flywheel
 :banghead: who knows what the noise is and to be honest i dont care the thing runs faultless with loads of power,pull,smoothness and grunt and in any case you can only here the knock when the car is in a inclosed space like a garage, its that small.
every body i know has listened to this knock and 90% have said its nothing dont worry, so sod it i am not going to, i am just enjoying the car now yes i will run it in for another 1000 miles :( and thats it then i am going to give it a dame good thrashing.
i will keep my ears open on the knock and if it gets any worse ill be back.
ps thanks for everybodies help

old skool baby

Back to the top
Have you checked the water pump ??

Sorry to ask but my worring rumble was the water pump bearing , i took of the belt ran it for a moment and it was quiet as a Mouse  8O

Replaced pump ……beautifull  :D

Cheers……….

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.