Skip navigation

Another Newbi

Back to the top

Another Newbi

Hi all, just registered and thought i'd share some info with you.
I own a nearly restored early Golf GTI in black - it has been with me for about 2 years now and today was the first time its ran since i'd bought it…but it does still have alot of gremins like overheating and a few things not working but hay it manged to go to the end of the road and back!!! and i cant wait until its finished.
I was intending on going to the big mk1 meet - even bought a ticket but as you can tell i think i was being a bit optimistic. Hopefully next summer it will be on display at many car shows.
I am a major golf nut and have been as long as i can remember i have owned 12 golf GTI's although only 2 of those have been MK1's the first turned out to be a cut n shut so was broken for bits the rest were all mk2's 8v and 16v.
i will post up some pictures when i can, most of the early pics i took (when car looking at its worst) were on a 35mm so will see if they will scan ok.
Danny

Back to the top
Hi Mr_GTI,

Looking forward to see your pics.  What have you done to the car in the last two years?

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
How do i get some pics up then :oops:
i've tried to restore the car back to its former glory, it was pretty rough when i got it for example the scuttle panel on the o/s was mainly filler and lots of rot in various places but the main thing was it was original and although its condition was poor it had not been messed about with even the wind screen had the vag running in advice sticker on it.
as well as the body work the interior has had a full retrim in ORIGINAL VAG tartan material which even if i do say so looks mint. i have some piccies if i can get them on here.

Back to the top
Sounds like fun.  You can load pictures in the "Photos and Images" section under Tools - look on the left of the page.

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Welcome Mr Gti

Look forward to seeing how you sorted out your rot in your scuttle. Mine has rot along whee the scuttle meets with the windscreen on the passenger side.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
The repair panels you can get for the scuttle are really small so i had to fabricate another 5" on the drivers side also the finish of these panels is pretty poor. so lots of finishing was required. if it ever goes again i think i will cut the whole section out of a late cab or similar.

Back to the top
420BHP, 1700LBft Scania series 4 Artic unit

Youch! That would be quick in a mk1!  8O  :D

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
upto 54mph with out the trailer it will leave most things including hot hatches…….
its best off roundabouts etc when its allready rolling the torque is neck breaking this is only a baby 12lt the V8 has over 600bhp and unbelievable torque figures

Back to the top

Mr_GTI said

upto 54mph with out the trailer it will leave most things including hot hatches…….
its best off roundabouts etc when its allready rolling the torque is neck breaking this is only a baby 12lt the V8 has over 600bhp and unbelievable torque figures
8O  8O

I remember chatting to a lorry driver who had chipped & tuned his Volvo tractor unit - I forget the figures but the power/torque was unbelievable!

I have been left standing before by unit without trailer!! :oops:  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hello Darren,

Still not finished then, Should still be done before James's though. :lol:

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

I remember chatting to a lorry driver who had chipped & tuned his Volvo tractor unit - I forget the figures but the power/torque was unbelievable!

I have been left standing before by unit without trailer!! :oops:  :lol:

not bad for something that redlines at 2300rpm  8O  :twisted:

Jack, we're getting there give me another month and it'll be MOT'd :wink:

Back to the top
hello daren

jack said

Still not finished then, Should still be done before James's though. :lol:

checky git !!!!! :roll:

is it rusty???

is it over priced??

YES!!!

i'm on my way over to pick it up

Back to the top
LOL  :D hello mate
I thought they both would have been done by now, just shows what ever you budget - time or money - double it add some more then may be double it again for luck :roll:  :wink:
There are too many online users to list.