Skip navigation

WANTED - ZENDER TURBO 1 CENTRECAPS

Back to the top

Centrecaps for 6 x 15 Zender Turbo 1 wheels

8.335 are listed for the Audi 80 Typ 81 (the B2 I think?), Golf  1+2 , Scirocco 1+2, Jetta 1+2 and Passat (from Aug '80).

46/85 is as you say likely the manufacturing date, possibly week of year / year as that's a common format.

Biggest I noticed while looking yours up was 16x9" (et14) for some Mercs. on recommended tyres of 225/50 or 245/45… must be impressive in the flesh!

Back to the top
Thank you both for feedback/measurements etc.

Memorextape - I think I have found an original set of caps in the size you are looking for and with the slot tab, rather than the post.
I'll message you privately.

On another note to both of you, I have 2 unused, with original stickers still on,  Pirelli 205 50 15 Cinturato P7 tyres that I no longer need.

They available from Longstone Tyres for £331.00 each (205/50 VR 15 Tyres - Classic PIRELLI CINTURATO (TM) P7)
 but I would accept a reasonable offer for the pair if of any interest to you.

Back to the top
Tyres are a bit too rich for my blood I'm afraid, definitely one for the absolutely committed OE fan… I'm more keen on the looked after but lived in and used look.

I would have bought on Kleinanzeigen quite a bit years ago, even have an account on it but it's been so long now I'm going to have to reset the password.

Post brexit I'm struggling to get anyone to post the sort of things I'm after to here.

Still going to try and talk to the guy though, see how it goes and will keep you both posted.

The example wheel he uses in his images is 14x6".

In theory should still suit your 15x6" rims, but not mine unfortunately.

You mentioned he did other sizes, so you never know until you ask.

There smallest Turbo I can find is the 14x6", the only manufacturers I have found todate who used that size was Audi for the 80, VW for all the usual Golf / Jetta / Passat suspects plus BMW on their E30's and Renault for the 5 / 9 and 11.

With the exception of Renault (et 30) the others are all et 33.

Probably around the time of my 2013 post I'd tracked doen a guy in France making caps, though being pre-3D printing he was casting them in a plastic resin material.

They were excellent copies but unfortunately it was only after getting a few samples did we realise his were the smaller 14"' version for the Zender Renault 11 special.

France may well be a good hunting ground for caps, the R11 Zender / Turbo seems to have a big following there, may just be someone re-making them in the same way the German guy is?

Back to the top

bacardincoke said

8.335 are listed for the Audi 80 Typ 81 (the B2 I think?), Golf  1+2 , Scirocco 1+2, Jetta 1+2 and Passat (from Aug '80).

46/85 is as you say likely the manufacturing date, possibly week of year / year as that's a common format.

Biggest I noticed while looking yours up was 16x9" (et14) for some Mercs. on recommended tyres of 225/50 or 245/45… must be impressive in the flesh!
Perfect for my mk1 then- I did have some doubts when I got them, they were listed for a Golf but the guy I got them off said he got them off I think a Lancia (4x98 PCD) so I had some doubts to if they would fit, first thing I did when I got home was try them on to check!

Can see them working well in that size on a Merc.

Helblu83 Please do, that would be great if you have! As for the tyres, thanks for the offer but they're a bit too wide for anything I have at the moment.

Back to the top
Have found a useful reference in a 1988 German language trade / spares catalogue listing replacement Turbo caps available at that time.

Overall there was a choice of 3x finishes - silver, polished and white. Not all the sizes came in all the finishes though.

Caps for 14x6" and 15x6" came in just silver or polished.

Of interest here is that these two wheel sizes carry the same cap part number confirming that dimension wise they are interchangable.

15x7" / 16x7" /  16x8" and 16x9" wheels too share the same cap part number, again confirming one is used over those different sizes.

The one anomaly is the cap for the VW Bus wheel, despite being 15x7" it has a cap that's unique to it.

When you see images of the Bus wheel it does look slightly different / chunkier in style, probably a result of creating a stonger casting for the increased load rating they were permitted to take. That must've had a knock on effect on the cap size.

So oddities (and the original snap on plasic type) aside there were just 3 x different caps made - one for 6" wide wheels, another for the 7/8 and 9" wide wheels plus a solitary third one for VW buses alone.

Back to the top
An original Turbo cap (Phase 1), the much larger plastic, snap on type…

image.jpg

Back to the top
Apologies both, I've not been on this site for a while.
Thanks for the measurements B&C.

Could you please post an image with a tape measure placed over the logo on your 7x15 cap so we can see exactly what size the logo is and where/how far it is positioned from the edge of the cap.

Many thanks.

Back to the top
Had a set of the original phase 1's (with the plastic caps) and they are HEAVY.

Probably have some images on the PC somewhere, but found this set currently for sale on the inter-web that shows some of the strengthening on the rear almost as clearly -

Probably the most obvious is that additional rib cast into the middle part, but the entire wheel is just beefier all over…

5.JPG

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/auto-onderdelen/banden-en-velgen/m1947417335-zender-turbo-velgen-4x100-15-inch-7j

These wheels have been adapted to take non genuine caps, in the process they've added a hole for the securing bolt and another for a pin or similar on the opposite side, the originals would've had neither and looked completely plain.

Piccy of the logo on a 15x7" cap

1.jpg

Have this odd one, it's 100% a Zender cap with the same casting number / marks etc., just missing its logo.

It's as I got it with the lacquer flaking and polished finish beneath.

Came in from the USA years ago with some other Zender scripted ones so have to assume there's a version of the wheel out there without the logo'd caps.

Like I said before, Zender made some of their wheels specifically for car manufacturers, possible this is from an example.

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Back to the top
Thanks very much for the measurement bacardincoke.

I saw those wheels on Marktplaats too.

I wondered if I could trouble you to help me further. I have found a company in London who do CNC machining and laser cutting/etching.

https://lasercutworks.com/

I have spoken with them and they are happy to try making one/some but have asked if I have a 3D file.

If I met all the costs, is there any way that you could get me a quote to have your genuine cap, including logo, laser scanned so I can get some made from a genuine original?

I understand if this is too much hassle but your help would be much appreciated and we would then both have the file to make spares if needed or share with others who need some caps made.

Best regards.

Back to the top
3D scanning's something I know absolutely nothing about… Googled it to see if somewhere local to me does it.

Assuming I've got it right and they do what you need there's possibly a place about 40 mins. from me.

I'd be happy dropping off a cap to them, but don't want to get involved in anything other than that.

If you want to speak to them direct and discuss what you want / payment etc. you can reach them here - http://re-tec.co.uk/
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.