Skip navigation

Oh look, another mk1 project.

Back to the top
Yeah looks like the ' throws it out???

Back to the top

Yeah itā€™s strange as. I wonder if itā€™s my regional setting ?

Back to the top
Clear plug/ white or green plug are for setting timing. Should be closed unless using

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top

Thanks mate, good to know.

Yep it was closed.

Back to the top
So are you intending on an engine strip down or good service and clean up ?
oh and then theres the paintwork do you cut and polish with minimal repairs or do you go for the full repaint ?
decisions decisions

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top

I will start with a good clean and service, with plans for a full rebuild or possibly a different motor. But ideally I would like to keep the original motor in there.

As far as paint goes, it is pretty tidy for the most part so a cut and polish will keep me happy. The black lower portion has to go.

If it was a GTI or swallowtail I would do a full respray, but it is just a Citi Golf and I do not think I will see a return on something like that.

Back to the top
tidy looking motor good luck with the build!

Back to the top
The engine is 1.6 or possibly 1.5 as the top radiator hose is between cylinders 1 and 2.
1.8 engines have the hose between cylinders 3 and 4.

The engine code will be just below no.3 spark plug, you just need the 2 first letters. Possibly an FR engine?

You are missing a rubber bush which holds the front of the air box steady, it fits on the A shaped bracket on the rocker cover. The air box can move about with the bush and cause the rubber gasket which the carb sits on to split which then lets in to much air so the car won't run very well or not start.

Have a look here.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=bodywork-fittings-and_2%2Fair-cleaner-rubber-mount

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Thanks, mark1gls. A good example of that wealth of information.

Appreciate it

Back to the top

So it passed the rain test, as itā€™s been quite wet for the last few nights.

Sadly it didnā€™t pass bump start test, so I bought a new battery and it failed the key start test.

Sent it to my local workshop cause I was planning on getting the once over anyway. Just got a call saying sheā€™s seized though.

Looks like Iā€™ve gotta go put a new sink in it.

A bloke on one of the local mk1 pages has a 1.6 and gearbox for a good price so it looks like Iā€™m gonna have a crack at that soon.

Back to the top
Some of your type has gone a bit funny and I can't read it…

Are you saying the engine is seized?

Does the engine turn over on the key?
Can you turn it over by hand? Put a 19mm socket on the big bolt on the crank. (near the alternator belt)

You can some times pour a little oil down the spark plug holes and leave it to soak to loosen things up?

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

Yeah I am not sure what the deal is with this funny text every time I type an apostrophe ā€~

Had a look at the mobile version on my phone and it is just as bad.

Back to the top

But yeah, it is apparently seized. I just put some oil down the spark plug holes and I will check back over the weekend.

But yes, the crank wont turn manually.

Back to the top

Testā€™testā€™testā€™

App updated. Hopefully hugs are fixed.

Back to the top

Mat_watts said

Testā€™testā€™testā€™

App updated. Hopefully hugs are fixed.

If you want a "hug" it will have to be a virtual hug ….  :lol:

You are not the only person getting funny things posted up when using the app, not sure why it keeps happening?
Any one in IT know why?

Back to the top
Well I've got an idea what is causing it but I'll call on our master of the Web because he's likely to be right first time! 👍🏼

lhasadreams
What say you Ade?

Sent from my Smartphone 📱

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

While they are at it I wonder if they would know why Iā€™m getting emails about every thread I have ever looked at on here ?

I have turned email and push notifications off, but the emails keep coming.

Because you guys are mostly based in the uk and i am in aus, I wake up to 20 odd emails from here every morning lol.

Back to the top
FYI

lhasadreams  for you Ade. 👍🏼

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

Mat_watts said

While they are at it I wonder if they would know why Iā€™m getting emails about every thread I have ever looked at on here ?

I have turned email and push notifications off, but the emails keep coming.

Because you guys are mostly based in the uk and i am in aus, I wake up to 20 odd emails from here every morning lol.

You have email notifications checked for several of the forums and for any topics you contribute to.

Go to your profile, click edit then notifications, scroll to Forum Topic activity and click the "more" link at the end of the row to the right - this then opens the finer grained control of what you get notified for.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

Ok cool. I turned off all notifications so I guess we will see how it goes.

Thanks, mate.

I procured a replacement engine last week. Its a 1.6 so I presume itā€™s going to be a like for like swap, although I can see a few differences with bits I plug my loom into. This new one is missing a few things like oil pressure ( i think ) feedback.

I think Iā€™m ready to drop it out, but I had to do a quick google to see how to remove the driveshafts as theyā€™re gonna get hooked up on he way out- particularly the right hand side which looks like it will get caught on the exhaust manifold.

Just about to rip into it šŸ¤žšŸ»fingers crossed.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.