Skip navigation

Baby Blue

Back to the top

Cushti said

Failed Mot on couple of silly bits, bit harsh of the tester in my eyes but rules are rules. E.g:

1. Previous owner had put early front wings on so it has no side repeaters (mine is '87, this is only ok on '86 & earlier). Will have to buy them, drill holes in the wings & splice into fronts

2. Fog light illumination bulb not working in the switch, the switch itself works

These later fog light switches are like rocking horse sh*t. I can't find a post'84 front/rear combo switch for sale -  only VWH can seem to order them in 8-12 weeks so no free re-test if I have to wait this long. If anyone has one please let me know!

Is the way you have re-wired the fog light not triggering the tell-tale in the switch?

My MOT man occasionally moans about the tell-tale light in the fog switch. It is dim compared to the other switches (HRW etc) and you have to angle your head to look directly at it. But it does illuminate. I keep meaning to pull it bits an swap the filament bulb for a brighter LED. If you do have a go be prepared for springs and ball bearings flinging everywhere

I wasn't aware that the switches differed post 84?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Hi - I haven't really rewired anything, just re-routed the two wires going under the car to the back bulb unit.
I have just opened the switch as I heard the bulb could be changed but the spring & ball bearings flew all over the place. I cleaned the contacts up & tried to put it all back together. Now the bulb works but the rear fog light doesn't so I must be missing a part going back in. Aarghh.

Looking around my carpet now lol but not sure what I'm looking for or if I just put the switch back incorrectly!

Back to the top
Yahoo, Mot passed. Just in time for going into paint next week.

I could really kick myself about the switch. Bought new switch & the bulb still not working. I checked the back of the switch plug & terminal 31 just had strands sticking out of it so the wire must have been pulled out by accident some time in it's life. That is the ground for the illumination bulb lol! I couldn't locate original wire so ran new one to it from earth claws above fuse box & bulb now working.

Last edit: by Cushti

Back to the top

Baby Blue

Found your thread awesome mate you've worked hard there I'd love to have the engine out of mine and strip it etc .but it's my only car and daily driver so my jobs have to be small at the minute. But well done

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Took a chance & the Wiechers front lower brace now fitted. Was worried it would not curve enough to go under the 02J gearbox but it does:

brace.jpg

Back to the top
This month I have replaced the driver's door hinge as it was sagging. Plus I've been fitting a stereo & new wiring before new carpet goes down. New Alpine 6x4s in front doors, new rear speakers, a nice new uncut ISO harness makes a great change to the usual previous owner bullet connection fireball-waiting-to-happen job, plus a little amp & 8" sub in the bottom of the wheelwell (the original vertical thread to tie the wheel down comes into the sub-box & is used to keep it fixed in place). Tyreweld instead of spare wheel for me. They can keep the battery company. Here's a pic of them trial fitted:

golf boot.jpg

Back to the top
Insulation now down & will fit main front carpet after paint job. Decided to remove rear seats due to combination of the bucket seats & my long legs getting rid of any possible rear leg space. Glued down some of the thin black carpet fitters use on the sides of campers & actually looks ok. Got bored of all the black inside everywhere so changed the seats to these to add a bit of colour:

golf new seat.jpg

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.