Skip navigation

A challenging project.....

Back to the top
I have owned it since 2014 with all intentions of brining her back to life but just don't have the time

So says the owner of the 2nd one. I think you'll see that said by everyone trying to sell an unfinished project. More often than not they take on much more than they can possibly cope with. Unless you have the time, more time, money, more money and, very importantly , the experience to finish a project, it's going to end up a dead dog.

Campaign Mk 1 Black

16v Mk2 Red (decsd )

Back to the top
And it will never be the car that left the factory, unless you have access to complete panels. Welding in repair sections does not make for a mint original as far as im concerned

Back to the top

I'd like to no who brought it.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Crazy money if you think what other cars you could just jump in and drive at that price. 

Back to the top
i have a browse on the bay of E now & again, search Mk1 VW Golf, adding GTI or cabrio just to see what's flying about & the parts & stuff… Seen this & though ok, not bad - but like most of the replies on here - IT NEEDS A LOT OF WORK! as Yomp said, total commitment on this..!! it's a total restore jobby! a lot of money to get this nice, let alone mint! would it be worth it? not being a genuine car as it's gonna be restored… what's peoples views on the value of a car being ORIGINAL & not RESTORED?? which is worth more????? 

Back to the top

Deandubya said

what's peoples views on the value of a car being ORIGINAL & not RESTORED?? which is worth more????? 

Its almost an impossible question to answer as it depends on the definition of "restoration" and what it was like in the first place, against how original and how close to being factory original. Its difficult to also define "original". A car maybe "original" but has been sat in a hedge for 30 years. Whereas another car may be "original" and has done no miles and sat all its life in a heated garage.
However 2 cars like for like in similar condition one restored one original I'd have to say the original one is more desirable.

Back to the top
May be a bit biased but original I think will always be worth that bit more, I am a fan of Wayne Carini and his chasing classic cars programme and  he always raves over original cars even ones with 'patina' as he calls wear & tear.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top

Lol can't stand that bloke! Wayne car in my opinion!
It's all a matter of taste I guess, I'd rather have a nice clean car than a car with a few stone chips/scratches/rust patches.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
I'm a bit addicted to these car resto/trading programmes I must admit. In fact I do a bit of it myself from time to time - twice a year maybe, but it's boring cars that are easy to sell purely to raise money for my Golf! Keeps the wife happy with my main hobby self sustaining…..

With regards to originality, this is the quandary I'm in. My car needs some paint here and there due mainly to stone chips over the years. It is technically patina I guess, but do I just address these areas locally or get the car re-sprayed and lose its originality??

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top

volkswarren said

Be nice to know who won, as I dropped out at £2150

volkswarren

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=newbies_2%2Funtitled_398

Back to the top
I have scrapped a few S1s in similar condition  :lol:

Banner

Back to the top

Naughty boy!

Regards Volkswarren

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.