Skip navigation

My mix and match Mk1. Can the people in the know tell me whats what?

Back to the top
Hi everyone, new here and new to Mk1 ownership.

I have been looking around at lots of very pretty rides on here and I am coming to the conclusion mine is a mix match of different bits.

Its originally a 1.3 Driver…

My engine is from a mk2
My back end is a swallowtail, are all really early cars the same?
My grill, is that different from original?  from a newer or older car?
The bumpers don't wrap around either, which model are they from?
The wheels are VW but certainly not original!

The interior is rather tatty and brown.  Can you get complete interiors quite easily; I guess I should start a wanted thread and see what I get offered.

This is never going to be an original car, but I really like the looks so I don't much care, i am just interested in the origin of it all :)

Thanks in advance :)

Back to the top
I love this car!! Personally don't think you should change a thing! Well maybe the wheels.. It's just crying out for a nice strong heart! 😜 Did you get the BBS' with it as well? 

Back to the top
Lovely car mate. Would Agree with changing the wheels   :thumbs:

Follow me on Instagram, scottyr_mk1golf

Back to the top
Bumpers are from S1 models
Wheels look like banded G60 steels (of mk2 era vw's)

Would need some pics to help with the engine

Banner

Back to the top

Willcrook8 said

I love this car!! Personally don't think you should change a thing! Well maybe the wheels.. It's just crying out for a nice strong heart! 😜 Did you get the BBS' with it as well? 

Sweet! Do you know the guy why built it originally? Not Rory the last owner, as by his own admission he just used it.

The BBS' were long gone sadly. I've rocked a few sets on mx5's in the past so I think if I do change the wheels I'll try and find something different that works.

Back to the top
steels look to be banded G60 (Passat) winter wheels to me, grille looks liek a normal mk1 type just with no metal trims on? has early flag mirrors on as well, rather than the chunkier late plastic ones

but do you care? I wouldnt :D

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

steels look to be banded G60 (Passat) winter wheels to me, grille looks liek a normal mk1 type just with no metal trims on? has early flag mirrors on as well, rather than the chunkier late plastic ones

but do you care? I wouldnt :D

I don't care from an originality perspective, I just want to know what I'm starting with, if only to aid with sourcing the correct parts.

For example, I'm going to replace the distributor, leads, plugs etc so knowing it's a mk2 rather than a mk1 engine might be important.  :)

Back to the top
There should be an engine code and number stamped on to the block just below cylinder 3, that way you can make sure you get the right bits but that will work for some of the parts as they may be different.
Post up a picture.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

jellybelly said

Bumpers are from S1 models
Wheels look like banded G60 steels (of mk2 era vw's)

Would need some pics to help with the engine

mark1gls said

There should be an engine code and number stamped on to the block just below cylinder 3, that way you can make sure you get the right bits but that will work for some of the parts as they may be different.
Post up a picture.

Thanks gents

Back to the top
Lushously plush interior

Wheels

Back to the top
I only knew the old owner from Instagram, don't know who built it.. 

I like that interior! 
Just need to get some BBS' or something.. 

Or I'll swap those banded steels for a standard set of 14" "baby g60's" 

Back to the top
Forgot it is a small block engine so my info about the engine code/number applies to the 1.6 and 1.8 engines.

I like the wheels but not the stretched tyres and they look very stretched, I would not want to do drive to fast with those on just in case they pop off….
Perhaps wheels and tyres just for shows?
At the end of the day it's your car so just enjoy it as that's what its all about….. the big smile at the end of a drive out.  :thumbs:   

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

I like the wheels but not the stretched tyres and they look very stretched, I would not want to do drive to fast with those on just in case they pop off….
Perhaps wheels and tyres just for shows?
I'll never consider this car fast unless it's acting under the force of gravity falling off a cliff. :D  .

I agree though, there's a lot of stretch so I'm sure one will pop off eventually. Guess I should get my hands on a spare just in case.  

Last edit: by madda

Back to the top
its a later hydro tappet smallblock lump with a later polo/mk3 rocker cover on it, running on original mk1/2 carb setup.

need to find the engine code to know exactly what it is, might be a basic mk1-mk3 golf or polo 1.0-1.3, a polo GT lump, a 1.4 from a mk3 golf even

the number should be stamped into the end of the block just above the gearbox, fingers crossed you can read it!

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
You going to sell the wheels? You keeping the interior? You don't seem keen on it.. 🤔

Back to the top

Willcrook8 said

You going to sell the wheels? You keeping the interior? You don't seem keen on it.. 🤔

I'm not convinced yet. I've enjoyed working on it. We'll see…

Regardless, it's nice to make a car your own.

Back to the top

rubjonny said

its a later hydro tappet smallblock lump with a later polo/mk3 rocker cover on it, running on original mk1/2 carb setup.

need to find the engine code to know exactly what it is, might be a basic mk1-mk3 golf or polo 1.0-1.3, a polo GT lump, a 1.4 from a mk3 golf even

the number should be stamped into the end of the block just above the gearbox, fingers crossed you can read it!

Thank you! Used a reg off a mk2 1.3 Golf Driver and all the parts I've bought so far have been correct. 

No chance of seeing the engine number sadly.

Back to the top
Like I said I've got a set of those steels non banded if you're interested? They're like new.. 

I love the interior! Full grandad spec! 😍

Back to the top

Willcrook8 said

Like I said I've got a set of those steels non banded if you're interested? They're like new.. 

I love the interior! Full grandad spec! 😍

No chance would I straight swap sorry!

Back to the top
Carb off for a refurb, but what is it from??

Bit of a double post as I've asked in the fuelling section? I hope that's ok.

I'll post some after refurb pics soon.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.