Skip navigation

Newbie from Sheffield - Swallowtail find

Back to the top
cool, I have seen a few of these red versions about and did wonder about then being called 'postie' lights.. Yep spotted the badges and knew about the reversal for very early golfs.. there can't be too many 75s about so you must be chuffed.. although I'm a year later still cant stop smiling :)   

Back to the top
Yeah, when my mate bought it ,I asked him whenever he wanted to sell to contact me.
He's now got his hand full with his 76 now ,so he's happy too

when he had it it was featured in PVW last year ..

Back to the top
hi everyone this is my first post

Back to the top
gone

Last edit: by dub_doctor

Back to the top
Never seen that boot strut before!

The shell looks really tidy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
what a rare find.
i also got a swallowtail in lofton green
rear boot stay is a rare find .been looking for one .
wonder when your was  built as the floor under the rear seat is different on mine.
and nice to see a option extra with a  rear wiper 

Back to the top
Just goes to show they're still out there!
A case of not what you know but who you know!

Hope it stays standard. :thumbs:

Back to the top

astraman18 said

and nice to see a option extra with a  rear wiper 

Could it be a later hatch fitted? Are not the badges the wrong way round?

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Do it once and do it right! ok, we've identified the problem, lets not make it worse by guessing……… Identifying the sympton is not the same as understanding the cause :)

Back to the top
Hairyarse , me neither so I did some digging and only found a pic of one other with this strut type fitted.  

astraman18 , cheers buddy - can you shed any light on the boot strut? as to any specifics as to the models it was fitted too - was it only a swallowtail thing? guessing not as I haven't seen it on others.

Also would love to see some pics of yours - wanna PM some over or direct me to a thread  :thumbs:  

Back to the top
astraman18 , interesting about the rear seat floor is different - have you a pic to compare?

Back to the top
gone

Last edit: by dub_doctor

Back to the top
thanks tubbett , glad you like  ;)

Back to the top
Jon, my floor area dosent have the "inspection" cover for the sender…presume Astramans the same…
mine has a sliding lock rear hatch stay, not sure whether the gas strut was a cost extra.. ( I'll have a look in the brochures)

I prefer them to the gas struts….but I always forget to push the lock off before trying to close it :(

Back to the top
Rajan dubboy will be your man to talk to about early cars, there's not a lot he wont know!  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Rajan dubboy will be your man to talk to about early cars, there's not a lot he wont know!  :thumbs:

Yup…!

Back to the top

Back to the top
Firstly - Welcome along, enjoy your time here and all the advice that can be given, and you what will soon be a Mk1 Addiction  :)

Try and come along to the Mk1 Annual Gathering if you can, will be a great place for you to meet new faces and pick up some bits

Secondly - What an AMAZING find! I am very jealous, think all us Mk1 Golf lovers would love to get our hands on a swallowtail if one came up

Thirdly - Good luck with the resto and keep the updates and pics coming, we all love pics

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
my 76 has a dealer fitted rear wiper looks same as yours

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121295503174?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
alright the boot stay bar is a strange 1 as some cars had them some never . i ve saw 74 to 77 with them , but i ve got 3 s1 and none of them has got them . i also know a few swallowtail owners without them .  i would sayit was never a swallowtail option just a basic spec option.
The rear wiper would be a optional extra as early tailgates  are solid , there is  no holes in it.
i get some pictures of mine to show you.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.