Skip navigation

2.0 16V ABF conversion first impressions

Back to the top

collected yesterday...

I spent a decent bit of time researching which engine conversion to go for that would remain a decent drive and give good mpg and reliability. After watching and reading several threads on this subject I decided to go for the mk3 16v set up. Next problem was finding someone to do the conversion.

Anyhoo, collected yesterday from Tsr, who gave me the car fully valeted ready to drive away, well as far as a teaspoonful of fuel will take you. Filled up which took 56 litres at a cost of £76, the most I've ever managed to get into the tank.

The car remains every bit as drivable, with the only irritant is the level of noise coming from the fuel pump. That will need sorted. A slight stutter on motorway neutral throttle but otherwise a very good arrangement.  Power is as expected, a lot more lively that the previous engine and box and the car seems like a completely different machine. I took the car north via Wales and the car is now the machine that all mk1s should go like, if that's your thing. 

I was impressed with my mpg on the way down as I got around 38, but the huge surprise was on the way back ipi filled up for the second time only when I got home exactly 460miles from one tank that took 46.7litres to fill up again. Some quick mental arithmetic I burnt around ten gallons meaning I got an astounding c45mpg. Trust me when I say, I put the car through its paces on back roads, motorway and spent several miles on busy town roads across Kidderminster, Bridgnorth, Worcester until I eventually rejoined the motorway at Ellesmere Port. The car had three people and a bag of cotswold gravel for the garden.

Am I happy with the work? Yes. Slightly over budget but the work under the bonnet is top class. I've been smiling since the engine fired up for the first time. 

Would I recommend this conversion? Yes. 

TSR?, yes. 

Overall, at this mpg, the conversion will pay for itself in around another 80k miles. :-0 but the fun factor has more than doubled, which I can't really put a price on. :-)

Back to the top
Awesome. I'm just in the middle of doing my own. How did they solve the exhaust manifold issue??
Thanks

Back to the top
Hmm, Tsr have been producing conversion manifolds for at least 15 years, as I bought one for my first mk1 16v that I done myself. 
My current mk1 had to have a special adapted downpipe manufactured due to my power steering set up. 
They used a combination of the original cast unit then a manufactured downpipe. I've yet to get a good look down there to see exactly what has been done. 
The guys down there aren't the most forthcoming so I'll guess I'll have to find out these things for myself when I get around to detailing and cleaning up in the engine bay. 

Back to the top
You sound like a happy man  :thumbs:

Are you still running K jet or did you swap to the newer set up?

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top
Happy days Craig, sound awesome!! get out and enjoy her :thumbs:

Back to the top
PICS!!! Lets see some pics!!!  :)

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top
Yes, pics..
Especially of the downpipe  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Desperado said

Are you still running K jet or did you swap to the newer set up?
The previous set up was a carb, this is the full mk3 system. Had to have a new tank and full fuelling system installed. Ecu is in the scuttle tray. Looks pretty modern in there.  :o
I'll see if I can get pics up. 

Back to the top

huw169 said

Yes, pics..
Especially of the downpipe  :thumbs:

Huw, I took a look at this today. I have the original cast iron manifold, with a stainless two pipe section to the underside then onto the new exhaust. 
I still reckon that you could buy one from Tsr, this forum or the sometimes trusty eBay. I doubt if there is a DIY option, unless this is your skill set. O_o  

Back to the top
<a href="Photo Storage

Photo attempt  :$

Back to the top

Oops, can anyone lift the picture off and insert on this thread? Thanks… I'll really need to get this photo malarkey sorted…

Back to the top

Back to the top
might want to look into the fuel setup, the pump shouldnt be that loud? what tank was fitted out of interest?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks johnny, I took a look at the rear fuel pump, the noise may be down to the fact that the pump is bolted direct onto floorpan and the vibes are just being amplified through the metal. I've got it booked into the local guy, who I know will fix the little foibles out. 
The fuelling is certainly on the radar, the throttle feels a little dull, press a bit further and the thing goes into warp mode. (well, sort of  :cool: ). Which is maybe why I can't seem to achieve a steady motorway speed/neutral throttle. I'm confident it'll get running sweet, as I'm intending going to the Stirling car show this weekend.  ;)

Back to the top
The tank is new. Very shiny too. I reckon it'll just be mild steel that will want dropped and painted. Maybe galvanised?
I'll get pics of this too. 

Back to the top
Nice Craig
Can't wait to get mine done now. I'm going to give the exhaust downpipe a go myself as I've started. Hardest bit about this conversion is getting an exhaust that fits..

Back to the top
just wondering how they are supplying the main pump, as vw pumps require a constant supply of fuel or they get noisy and eventually die. 2 options either put a tintop gti tank on (why im askign see) or you put a post-84 cabrio/scirocco lift pump in the tank feeding a swirl pot in front of the main pump

if its a facet or similar then it should be ok

Back to the top
More pics 
I'll get better ones once I get the car on the ramp. 

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/craigt007/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Back to the top
Might be worth looking into some type of heat shield for the exhaust downpipe or steering rack gaiter as they cook so close to the exhaust.
Your suspension top mounts also look past there best.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
ok thats a VW type fuel pump, make sure its either fed from side of tank or a swirl pot which is fed from a lift pump. I'm sure TSR know what they are doing though :)

i can see the pump is mounted on rubber bobbins plus is in a rubber sleeve so should be well isolated

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.