Skip navigation

1.5 Carb issues :-(

Back to the top
Next question, to check for fuel line blockages, can I just blow air through the lines that attach onto the tank sender ??

Do I need a compressor or could I use tyre pressure and some sort of attachment ??

Back to the top
yeh blow thru the lines, disconnect the rubber off each end so any crud wont get blown back into the tank. you may need something a bit beeft to clear them fully depending how badly they're crusted up

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I re connected the missing swirl pot and return fuel line and re-routed the vacuum hoses as told.

The car runs ok for a min or so and then just dies, its a little bit harder to restart after its stalled but not much.

I am to try 2 things

1. keep the recs up and see what happens
2. bypass the tank and pipes by running the petrol to the pump with a milk bottle

I might also try and drive it round my estate for the first time if I can.

Back to the top
Would a new thermoswitch make any differecnce at all ?

Back to the top
Can you keep her running by pulling the choke out a bit ?

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

Can you keep her running by pulling the choke out a bit ?

I think so Ade, I will start it later as I'm gardening :-(

I will report back.

Cheers

Back to the top
Been busy in the garden all day after work but put all the engine back to standard.

It runs fine ish for s while and then dies after anything upto 10 mins.

When I try to restart it its not easy and the revs go all over the place and it takes a few mins to get going ?????

Back to the top
Car ran much better yesterday but still stalled on an occasion.

Ade said it was all about the float and I'm presuming that in my service kit for the Weber that there is something that fixes it.

Next job IMO is do the filler neck etc. and get the tank cleaned and pipes blown through with a new filter in before thinking about full car service then carb.

Is that the answer :-)

Back to the top
Yep, making sure all that is rust free and clean is essential mate.

Sounds like things are freeing off the more you run it.

I did come across an engine that kept doing this once that turned out to be coked up really badly, the coke kept absorbing the fuel and starving the engine

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
thermoswitches only make a difference to cold starts, after the engine warms a little they cut out. you wont notice much difference with or without tbh mine were both broken and it ran just about the same once fixed

Back to the top
A good long run and some redex and decent fuel might help it further.  Also I don't suppose your fuel pump relay gets really hot? I have a friend who keeps a spare in the glove box and switches them when his sputters and dies when warm. Obviously a massive bodge job though

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
no fuel relay on a carby ;)

Back to the top
Oops, That'd explain why I've never been able to understand his descriptions of his gti on the phone when he's been going through things then.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Thanks all.

I never got back to the car after Saturday as I was too busy, I will wait for the filler neck and the rest of the bits to arrive from Funk hopefully this week.

Then do the neck and fuel tank clean etc.

Then see how it runs.

Depending on the running, if its well enough, I will pop it down to my friendly garage and get a full service and timing belt done, only using the garage as I like the book stamped. While there, they can do the oil sump and rocker rubber gaskets.

Then……………………………………….

Back to the top
and

I have Redex and I will check the relay, Jules  :lol:

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

and

I have Redex and I will check the relay, Jules  :lol:
:$
Oops, I should sell them as super rare items.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Cars running rough again like before 😡

Can't do anything until I get the filler neck etc and do that first :-(

Back to the top
So filler neck fitted, tank cleaned, hoses blown through, carb cleaned, carb gasket changed, new petrol in and it's running worse than ever.

Next thing to try is condenser and points.

Struggling :-(

Back to the top
Hello

Definitely feel your pain- got my car last year (a clipper running a weber of unknown model…great!) and wouldn't run as soon as I pulled round the corner from where I bought it. Wasn't pleased to say the least.

I'd had no idea where to start and did the electrical route (plugs, hts, dizzy, rotor etc) and then moved onto the tank (new one, neck, flush the lines, new pump, inline etc) as it was apparent it was full of crud.

Think it was the return from the carb in the end. Cos someone put the larger carb on the car I don't think it was ever setup right and although it could run (often cutting out due to crud in the tank blocking the inline) it seemed to starve itself of the fuel and die or just rough idle.

After much trial and error over the best part of 4 months I then restricted the flow back in the return (creating a jet if you like). I did this via a restriction using a mig welding tip (bought a few from ebay for a couple of quid- added a y piece (which I picked up from halfords- can't remember which one but there's only 2 they have…can have a look if you need me too) on the return and added this into the line and crimped it down with a tie.

My explanation is probably shocking, but this is what I did- see the diagram  here sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk • View topic - Fuel starvation weber carb)

Its worked for me and definately worth a go as it was only a couple of quid. Would say if you've cleaned the tank and the necks good it's worth a punt. It'll still require trial and error (mainly nipping the mig tip return until the jets as needed- and also possibly getting someone to setup the carb following…something I couldn't do as my skills are similarl to a goldfish). 

My cars in getting its mot but should you need a mig tip, still got a spare so drop me a pm and I'll send you one or if you need a pic of mine more than happy to help. I'm in Bristol, so gather not local- if not would have given you a hand…although I'm no mechanic so probably better anyhow:)

May not work but definatly worth a try I recon.

Good luck.

Back to the top
Thanks a lot Ross

I tried to start the car last night and it wouldnt even fire.

My mate is coming tonight to hopefully do the points and condenser and timing.

I think he wants to do a gravity fuel feed direct into the carb, to eliminate the fuel system and see if it makes any difference.

I am struggling tbh as I have no idea at all, so if my mate can't sort it, then its bin it or send it to a garage £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.