Skip navigation

fuel pump operation

Back to the top
good evening.

Should the fuel pump start running when I turn on the ignition. Mine seems to be dead when I turn the ignition on, despite the wiring having been checked. I have just replaced the tank, so the system is effectively dry at present.

1800 gti tin top 1985 k-jetronic

Back to the top
The fuel pumps prime for 4 seconds at key in and turned to the Run position.

There are known fuel pump relays that have wonky innards.  

More on this at www.cabby-info.com
https://www.cabby-info.com/files/electrical/Relays_Kjetronic.pdf

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
It depends on what fuel pump relay is fitted, mine has never primed the system when switching on the ignition before starting the car, (I think mines a No 62 relay) I did fit an aftermarket relay when mine failed and that relay did prime the system then I found a genuine VW relay online and fitted that one so now back to no priming the pump before starting.

You could remove the fuel pump relay and the relay just below it, turn the other relay around till it fits where the fuel pump relay should go, then when you switch on the ignition the fuel pump should start to run even if the car is not started so you can test the system.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Ah, you have answered my next question. How to run the fuel pump without  the engine running.. As the system is bone dry I need to get some fuel in the pipes and filter before trying to start the engine

A great help

P.S I'll keep the fire extinguisher handy
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.