Skip navigation

Speedo, rev and temp gauge

Back to the top
My speedo, rev gauge and temp gauge do not work. The only one that is working is the petrol gauge but when full that only reads about 4/5ths full?  O_oTo make the speedo work I have read I unscrew the plug bit on the gearbox worm gear/speed sensor and thread on the speedo cable from the clocks. However the gearbox (o2a) doesn't have a sensor in it. Can anyone send me a link to the correct one to fit my gearbox that will connect up to my, what I imagine is original, therefore 1.1 1982 speedo cable?

Once this is connected up will the rev gauge/tachometer also work? Or will this just make the speedo work?

What do I need to make the temp gauge work? When looking under the bonnet I found a small wire that had a label with 'coolant temp' on but it was not connected to anything. This wire looks like it has come from ecu/fuse box area so what do I wire/plug it into to make the temp gauge work?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first 'engine conversion' vehicle and would like to have the gauges working (speedo is quite an important gauge to have working   :lol: )

Thanks for any help people can offer.

Also, my ECU is Qpeng management

Thanks!

'82 c formel e - 1.8t 20v 

Back to the top
for the 02a unscrew the 3 pin plug from the back of the electronic speed sender, then fit a mk1 1.0-1.3 speedo cable matched to the age of your car/clocks. if you dont have anythign in the sender hole you need to get an 02a/j speedo sender of some kind. mk2 g60, seat/mk3 abf/tdi/vr6, mk4 golf 20v etc

red/yellow wire from fusebox is temp sender, how to make this and the rev counter work depends on what engine and spark control you have ;)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
This is the cable I have coming from my speedo, looks original:

Therefore would this speedo sender fit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171118498796?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Oops sorry, forgot to say what engine. It is a 1999 1.8t 20v.
Thanks!

Back to the top

Back to the top
its the 2nd one you need, the first one is for 020 gearbox and isnt the same. your speedo cable should screw stright to the 2nd one once you unscrew the plug section off of it.  you could probably find one cheaper in scrap yard if you have a good one local, as I say mk4 golf 20v have them (as do many others, look for a cable shifter in scrappy and it should have what you want)

Back to the top
Thanks John. Will look for one like that.

Anyway regarding that red and yellow wire coming from the fuse box for the temp sensor, I located it and there was also this wire:

It had 'coolant temp' written on it, was also red and yellow and had the matching connector to the red and yellow wire coming from the fusebox area.

I thought to connect the two up but the temp gauge still didn't work. Is it possible that they should be connected but a fuse has gone?

I also found a wire labelled 'tacho' that was not connected to anything…

And a cable that had come through the firewall near the fuse box area but was also not connected up to anything…

Back to the top
without knowing exactly how your loom was made its hard to know for sure what needs to be done, was this one a drop over the top type loom with your old loom left in place?

id assume yes the rev and temp wires need to join to the old wires on your mk1 loom, the temp will probably be the yellow/red you have, rev counter would be the old red/black to the coil.

earth the red/black wire with female spade, if temp goes to full yup you found the right wire. with the mk1 gauge to work on a mk4 coolant sender you need to put a resistor inline, what i recommend is fit a mk3 1.8-2.0 8v 4 pin coolant temp sender instead, changign the coolant temp plug to match. but it depends how the loom was made, it may already have a resistor?

with the rev counter you need a tacho adaptor if its on the oem mk4 ecu, and one isnt already fitted. if its aftermarket it could be outputting a mk1 compatible signal already. again hard to know!

cant you talk to the guy who made the loom?

Back to the top
The guy I bought the car off said Qpeng made the loom, I don't know exactly what this means as am new to all this.

Where exactly is the coolant sender located?

It is on a Qpeng 'plug and play' ecu I believe

Thanks for all your help

Back to the top
on a mk4 its in the flange on the side of the head i believe, 4 pin jobber. i think qpeng ecu should output the right rev signal for you, worst case have a word with qpeng they should be able to confirm exactly whats what :)

Back to the top
Thanks for your help, I have contacted them and hopefully they will be able to tell me what's what.

Luke

Back to the top

Back to the top
Oh, I already have a bonnet release cable! May run that one down to the boot then as I need one to pop it open as its smoothed

Back to the top
that looks like the heater valve cable to me?

Back to the top
Oh, that sounds important  O_o what should it be connected to?

Back to the top

mortlock7 said

Oh, that sounds important  O_o what should it be connected to?

not the fuse box for starters lol

connects to this.

Back to the top
Thanks Jon. Will my car still have that, having a different engine? If so where exactly is it located? (away from car at the moment so cannot look)

Back to the top
it should do unless you want your heaters always on hot ;) its fitted inline with the feed pipe coming from the engine to the heater matrix

Back to the top
Saying that, when I tried the heater on cold the other day it didn't go cold, stayed hot, so this may be the issue then ;)
thanks for your help

Back to the top
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am yet to sort the temp gauge and was just wondering that if I were to connect up a temp sensor with the correct thread for the mk4 engine and connect it to the mk1 wire coming from the fusebox, surely this would work? Or does it have to go through the ecu?

Would this sensor work?

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Coolant-Temperature-Sensor-M10x1-MK2-Golf-035919369D_act_shop.product_pID_33465677_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=1

I would connect the red/yellow wire from fusebox to one of the pins, but what is the other pin for? Just a ground?

Thanks

Back to the top
temp gauge lives in a flange in the water hose.

it has four wires going to it, I think i changed mine for an early mk4 item so it will make the needle on the dash work.

will see if i have a picture for you

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.