Skip navigation

Speedo, rev and temp gauge

Back to the top
mk3 golf 1.8-2.0 8v 4 pin jobber is what you want if you want to use the factory mk4 sensor hole, splicing on the mk3 plug if the mk4 loom is late. the pinout for early/late plug differs but see here for wiring information (its in there somewhere!!)
http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?205887

the alternative solution is trawl the scrappies for a mk4 top hose elbow with sensor fitting, various vw/seat/audi models have them of mk4 era. then buy later mk2 golf 1.6-1.8 2 pin black coolant temp sender

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thank you for sourcing that for me. It all sounds very complicated.
Would it not be possible to put something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360644484343?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
in line a coolant pipe somewhere and then just screw in a 1/8npt sensor and wire it up to that? Would the yellow and red wire from fusebox or ecu just being plugged into that aftermarket sensor allow the dial on the speedo to work?
Thanks

'82 c formel e - 1.8t 20v 

Back to the top
that would be more effort as you would have to find a 1/8 npt thread sensor with the same curve as a VW temp sensor!  check thru the thread somewhere in there is a part number for the VW upper elbow with a sensor hole in it, this will work with a later mk2/cab/rocco 2 pin black dash temp sensor.

tbh if you can solder in the wiring for an aftermarket or vw 2 pin sensor, then you can also solder in the wiring required for a mk3 golf 4 pin sensor or a resistor in the temp wire with mk4 sensor ;)

read thru the whole thread, lots of info on your options :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thank you, it will be tonights reading :)

Back to the top
its really easy :)

sourced the right sender in the scrapyard and soldered that to the loom.

Back to the top
Thank you :)

Another question (sorry :lol: ) - this wire labelled 'tacho' coming from the ECU, where exactly do I have to wire it up to? Sounds stupid but I believe the ECU is outputting the right signal so if someone has a picture of the wire/part it needs connecting to I would really appreciate it!

Thanks again

Back to the top
The instructions on the QPENG website say this:

Mk1, Mk2 and Pre '92 Corrados: Connect the single male spade connector (tacho output) on the new loom to the red and black wire in the original double coil plug.

But don't really understand. Where is the 'original double coil plug'?

Thanks

Back to the top
Can anybody help? Would like to hopefully get rev gauge working this week as I am home from uni for a few days

Back to the top
The coil is usually bolted onto the bulk head.
It has the king lead that goes to the centre pin of the dizzy cap. I think there are 2 spades either side on the coil it's self.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
My engine doesn't have a dizzy cap does it? 

Back to the top
 O_o  O_o  O_o  O_o

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
My car has coil packs so surely doesn't have a distributor. When the qpeng instructions say 'original' coil pack, surely that means the 1.8t and not the 1.1 mk1 engine? Very confused  O_o

Back to the top
pretty sure you need a tacho converter as i don't think the qpeng ECU does the necessary for you.

that sits between the two wires mentioned above.

Back to the top
It doesn't say anywhere on the qpeng website that I'd need to do that, I assumed as they supplied a new wire saying 'tacho' and with the instructions given on the website it was as simple as connecting it up to something. Have you got a picture of where it sits? Or could source a picture?
Many thanks

Back to the top
it'll connect to your wire that goes to your rev counter in the dash.

do you have a rev counter in the 1.1

Back to the top
It comes from the ECU and qpeng instructions say it goes to 'original double coil plug'
Yes there is a rev counter instead of an analogue clock

Back to the top
you need to trace the wire from the clock to the fuse box and voila :) will look at mine tomorrow for you.

Back to the top
Ah I see, so the ECU already has a rev signal? So that wire connects to the clock side not the coil side? I see! I assumed it was meant to go to the coil pack/ignition system somewhere as it was in the engine bay.

Back to the top
the tacho signal is driven from the ECU on the 20v, not directly off the coil as per the orginal mk1 engine,
to work with the mk1 clocks you need to change the signal back from the ECU to the original signwave so the clocks can understand it, hence the need for an adapter, I don't think the QPENG does all this for you, but it might do.

Back to the top
Ahh I understand. It's worth a try, if not I will look at fitting an adapter. Have you got your rev gauge working?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.