Skip navigation

My Mk1 Cabby project

Back to the top

My Mk1 Cabby project

I personally wouldn’t drive it half way through a restoration. Professional body shops and the engine fitter should have a trailer and should be used to handling a rolling shell so won’t expect it to be running. Only you can decide what’s best for you but most restoration places leave the engine to last as infact it’s the easiest part to a restoration job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

wilko13 said

I personally wouldn’t drive it half way through a restoration. Professional body shops and the engine fitter should have a trailer and should be used to handling a rolling shell so won’t expect it to be running. Only you can decide what’s best for you but most restoration places leave the engine to last as infact it’s the easiest part to a restoration job

I will take your advice!

Back to the top

My Mk1 Cabby project

Just make sure you oil the hinge points on the roof frame.

I’ve had two frames seized on the hinges. It shears the pivot pins.
Even leaving down in a garage where any moisture gets in it rusts them up.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

chortle said

Just make sure you oil the hinge points on the roof frame.

I’ve had two frames seized on the hinges. It shears the pivot pins.
Even leaving down in a garage where any moisture gets in it rusts them up.

Is that why the frame is not budging right now? Its been down for almost 5 yrs 
What should i do to free it up now? I havent put too much force in trying to close the roof as it just doesnt budge!

Back to the top
Got frong wings off today , thought ok 15 mins job turned out longer. 
Drivers side off easy
Came to offside and some sort of bonding sealing was all over 2 of the bolts holding the wing, would not budge and it looked like it was behind everywhere!
Got the heat gun put and had to heat it all up and scrap it off bolts then took 2 of us to pull it off … first sign of some sort of repair once wing came off , bonding sealant everywhere!

Was going to send wings doors bonnet and boot lif off to get dipped , to make my life easier rather than sanding down what dya reckon?

The original plan was to dip the whole car but as ive never put it on a rolling jig i chickened out trying to do that and have cut that corner :( and just going to put it on stands and try to clean the underside and then spray it with protector 

C810C1B0-F916-4A1F-B32D-50D6C63F869E.jpeg 953F5C4F-5F47-479F-80AA-0D3049D42296.jpeg F3FD0002-7430-4C8F-B4D0-439C3763C7ED.jpeg

Back to the top
19AB22BE-EAD2-4F3B-9DBE-8D86B0A23448.MOV

Back to the top
Rotating jog collected!

7C8D6AD3-492E-4DF5-A8C7-E2D09D15195D.jpeg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.