Skip navigation

My cabby clean up

Back to the top

1985 1.6gl cabriolet

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Wow nice work Jules - you've been rather busy today!

Engine bay is looking tidy ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Well one drained battery and a long time properly adjusting gear linkages has caused the afternoon to be frustrating. Not heard the cabby spark into life so the battery is on charge, hopefully it's just because getting fuel around the system but will be relieved if I here that sweet sound of it turn over.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Yes! He started. Seeing as though he's been named Gordon there was an appropriately timed Brian blessed imitation.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Was he 'ALIVE?'  :lol:

Top work, bet you're chuffed ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
So happy, and so relieved. Final tarting up bits left now (hopefully)

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Looking very smart, the interior looks nice ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Glad it all worked out mate.

Was it the bacon butties that kept you going  :lol:  :lol:

Looks good all the powder coated bits and pieces along with the bits of polished, nice contrast  :thumbs:

I'm still trying to get the green and moss of mine after being stood outside all winter  O_o

So when's she due back home? We've got some breakfasts to munch on  :ninja:

I've got to do the gear linkage in mine, sounds like it's a bit of a mare. Any pointers?

Ian ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Thanks, yeah it's coming together nicely. New wheels going on next.

The bacon did help. Mot is due early May so end of April is my timeline. 

Although my work might have been fruitless, got a potential head gasket leak so need to skim the head so all out again. Also gear linkages, fiddly and methodical but saying that I haven't got them properly aligned still  :P seems ok but just a pain of jacking up working the alignment out, sitting in car and checking it goes into all of them, then lowering to test and finding first and reverse both do the same thing! So back onto the jack and repeat to find it won't select first etc.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Cars looking sweet  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hmm pit use me thinks  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
New toys back from the powder coaters. A metallic graphite colour that looks black on cloudy days and lighter on sunny ones.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Lookin' good mate. I fancy that colour for the wheels on my black passat. Where'd you have them done?

Please tell me you're doin something with the tyres  :lol: Way too much sidewall  ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Done at auto shine st day lots of rebuild done on them. Rims milled and metal filled. Dip strip primer powder coat colour coat and clear coat as well so lost of cover.

Keeping the tyres as I'm going for comfort and semi original look

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Wondered if it was them. Several friends had wheels done by them. Look really good mate.

Are they 13's or 14's? I thought the earlier cabs came with 13" rims. If so I presumed you'd be going smaller on the tyre to keep the rolling radius the same.

They'll go nice with the colour of the car. When's it due back on the road then? Want to see it in the flesh!  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Yeah I think these are 14's but with a 60 profile to give same tyre circumference.  Car should be done end of April then it'll be down in Cornwall and meets will definitely be needed. Just saw a b plate black gti cabby in Falmouth so there's another lurking down here that I didn't know of.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
After searching for a heat shield for a six bolt exhaust and coming up empty handed I decided to make one.

Made from 2mm stainless 316 so shouldn't rot away like the original. Will take some pics of it fitted but looks like it'll fit just right.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
:thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Julesgreycab said

Yeah I think these are 14's but with a 60 profile to give same tyre circumference.  Car should be done end of April then it'll be down in Cornwall and meets will definitely be needed. Just saw a b plate black gti cabby in Falmouth so there's another lurking down here that I didn't know of.

Is this the one with the red roof and the back window not cut out?!!

Many Thanks Taron‹

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.