Skip navigation

Removing rear speaker panels - Cabriolet Clipper

Back to the top

Removing rear speaker panels - Cabriolet Clipper

Any tips to successfully remove the rear speaker panels on my clipper.  I usually manage to snap something or other when working with interior panels; it would be nice to avoid this for a change.

1991 Golf Clipper Convertable

1800 Auto

Back to the top
If I remember rightly undo winder, take out back seat, clips in at the top and slots out of the bottom, it's real easy an nothing to break :)

MK1 Cabby '90 R.I.P

'83 tin top gti

Back to the top
use a wide plastic spreader as metal can take off any paint.  and poke it behind the  panel and slide along until it meets the clip that holds the card to the body and pop it. If you pull it from in between the clips you run the risk of pulling the stud out of the door card it's self and ruining the hardboard.

I bought a trim removal tool well worth the money.
You have to justify the cost compared to using it just once, however I find that I have used it loads.

The speakers are just held onto to plastic pins from the moulding with securing nuts.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
I'm bumping this rather than creating a new topic.

I have a 1990 GTI Cabriolet. I need to get the rear doorcards (or interior panels, seeing as there isn't actually a door) off to get to the rear speakers. I don't want to damage anything in the process, so want to be sure of what I'm doing first. What exactly do I need to do?

I know I have to get the window winder off. That looks straightforward.

There's a black panel around the front seatbelt mount that sits on top of the grey doorcard/panel. What do I need to do with that?

The doorcard/panel seems to be sitting in two clips/mounts at the bottom. Do I just need to bend it out of these?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Any guidance very much appreciated - thank you!

Back to the top
Actually… I was typing faster than I was thinking.

I did a couple more Google searches and found the following advice:

Pry the black plastic covering off the rear of the hand crank, on the non knobbed end, it Pushes UP and OVER the large part of the handle.

Remove the Center SCREW (Phillips) the screw is usually tight so get a good Screwdriver…

Pull the window crank off the knurled post, remove the spacer.
Undo the Rear "B" pillar weather strip from the door frame.
Now Undo the Center pin that holds the Plastic shroud for the shoulder belt.

Using a screwdriver under the top edge pry out the nylon keepers that hold the top of the card to the frame.

Lift up out of the fingers catches on the bottom.

4 minutes tops to remove the rear quarter panel card.

how to remove door cards | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

So, I went and had another look and, yep, it took about ten minutes. Having a set of plastic trim removing tools is a massive help.

:)

Back to the top

Remove the Center SCREW (Phillips) the screw is usually tight so get a good Screw driver;

Pull the window crank off the knurled post, remove the spacer.
Undo the Rear "B" pillar weather strip from the door frame.
Now Undo the Center pin that holds the Plastic shroud for the shoulder belt.

Using a screwdriver under the top edge pry out the nylon keepers that hold the top of the card to the frame.

Lift up out of the fingers catches on the bottom.

4 minutes tops to remove the rear quarter panel card.

how to remove door cards | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

I think I may have seen that.  

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
There are too many online users to list.