Skip navigation

wiring spot lights help

Back to the top
Hello guys need some help wiring my inner spots, just wondering my options ideally I want them to come on when I flash ( lol ok no laughing ) and not to come on when I'm using my normal lights, to do this I see the earth wire on the casing of the spot and I think its a H1 bulb with a wire attached so would this go to the high beam wire on the headlights, or I would like to use this as separate spot lights via a switch inside the car, to do this would I need 2 x 30amp relays ( 1 for each spot ), then a inline fuse to battery and also a wire going to the switch inside the car, which will be a better way all help appreciated and ideas thanks guys

Back to the top
factory the inner spot lamps are wired to the white and brown wires on the h4 plugs, this will make them come on when you flash and when you switch on your main beams.

double check they are spot lamps though, some are fogs!

easy way to do it would be to buy a relay lighting loom with spot lamp wiring on it, 2 birds with 1 stone then

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks Johnny, is there anyway of telling if they are spots or fogs ?, I made a wiring loom for my headlights using 2 relays and in line fuse, the yellow wire connected to the relay and then the neg and positive wire connected on there to they seem brighter, is there any way I could hook these up the same way or tap in to the loom I have made thanks

Back to the top
you would need to add 1 or 2 relays triggered off the headlight white wire for the spots to work as they should :)

generally the inner lamps are spots the fog versions are uncommon.

this is what the fog lamps look like:
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=bodywork-fittings-and_2%2Fhella-fog-lamps

Back to the top
Thanks jhonny so correct me if I'm wrong, so if I do the following I should get them working 2 options,
1. Tap in to the white and brown wire on the headlight connection,

2. Use 2 relays in for each lamp, take the white wire and cut it add the spot light wire to it and connect it to number 87 on the relay use the existing connection of the white wire to 86 on relay and have a positive feed from battery with a inline fuse to 30 on the relay and connect the ground wire running from battery to number 85 on relays , the brown wire on the spots is connected to the housing of the spots so I could ground them to the body, sorry if I'm going a wrong way about it, I upgraded my head lights, so using the same sort if way to wire the relays so I can use my spots, please do correct me of I'm going the wrong way

Back to the top
You only need to tap to the white wire for the relay trigger, you can earth the spots to the battery. you'll get the best connection if you wire all of the lamps to the battery rather than going thru the old headlight earths which might be corroded.

you'll want to wire pin 87 of the relays to both the spots and the main headlamps and run the earth from the spotlamp and headlights to the battery to get the best out of them.

Yep thats the correct way to wire up your relays, the earth pin 85 can go to the original wiring, shell or battery whatever is easiest for you as its just the trigger side

Back to the top
Thanks jhon, I have wired my low beams to the battery  by connecting the feed in to the 86 on relays and feed out to the 87 and the ground I battery and positive with a 20amp inline fuse the relays are 30amp, would it be safer to tap the highs an spots to the same relays or shal I get 2 more 30 amp relays and wire it up along with a 20amp inline fuse, the earth to the h4 pins is still intact so I could also take that to the battery to , could all this be done on the existing relay or would I need a new 30amp relays and online 20amp fuse to wire the spots/ high beam and earth the existing head light earth to battery lol hope I ain't confused you guys with all this 

Back to the top
you can wire the highs and spots to the same relay, after all factory there are no relays they are both just fed from the flasher switch :)

I would supply all the lamps with fresh earths straight to the battery, as you dont know the condition of the original copper. Since the H4 plugs are not sealed they have been exposed to the elements since rolled off the production line so not likely to be in tip top condition.

the relay earths can go to the original h4 plug earth if you like as its not got any kind of load on it, just used on the trigger side.

Back to the top
So the lows beams on 2 x 30amp relays ( one for each side ) along with 20 amp to battery and then another 2 x 30 amp relays for high and spots, ( on for each side) along with a 20amp inline fuse.to battery, the earth wire can be feed from off from the h4 plug or of the neg terminal of battery, am I correct, lol sorry about this john just want to make sure I'm doing this the right way, and thanks for listening and helping top man

Back to the top
yes, but put all the headlamp earths straight to the battery as the headlamp earths need to be as good as the feeds!

the relay earths can go to the h4 plug earth, or the battery, or chassis somewhere whatever is easiest for you. as long as its a semi decent earth it'll be enough to switch the relays.

with the fuses unless you use monster bulbs 10a is fine, same as oem :)

Back to the top
Lol right I think I'm there, so run the earth from battery to the bulb ( h4 plug) and the original wire from the h4 plug can go to the relay or I can run a wire to the relay via Battery and the original h4 earth I can leave out,
Then use the high beam wire cut it and stick the wire going in to relay on 86 and the one going out.to 87 along with the spot light wire.attached, the spot.light wire.can also be tapped in to the wire.going.from battery.to h4 plug, lol am I there mr john sorry again mate just want to do it.right thanks for listening lol

Back to the top
yes run all the light earths to the battery, relay earth to pin 85 wherever is convenient. pin 86 on the relays to the white or yellow wire on the original H4 plug depending on its function, and the 87 pin to whichever lamp they need to go to ;)

for the spots you can either piggy back out the back of the new H4 plug on the relay loom, or direct on the 87 pin on the relay side, both will work fine

There are too many online users to list.