Skip navigation

Returning interior seats to standard - how? (1983 3-door tintop)

Back to the top
Hi all,

So my car currently has the rear seats entirely removed with a show cage fitted. It also has the fronts removed and leather recaros fitted instead with over shoulder harnesses instead of standard seat-belts.

I want to return the interior seating to stock mk1 seats and belts. But, question is….how? For example do I just need to buy seats and then find seatbelts from somewhere and it all just bolts straight in, are is there something I'm missing that will mess me up…?

Just looking forward advice from people who have done this before really - I'm not even sure how the belts work on the back seats (2-point / 3-point for example). Thanks for the help!

Back to the top
Picture of what you have may help?
A lot depends on what they did to fit the new seats and roll cage?
If they used all the original fittings for the seats you may be able to unbolt the locking bolt at the front of the seat, slide them back and lift out (may need to remove the plastic cover on the seat rail?)
Seat belts front - depending on what year your car most later cars have the seat belt clip fixed to the seat, fixing on the B pillar and last one at the bottom of the B pillar near the base of the back seat.
Seat belts rear - depends on what year your car is but look for holes in the C pillar, underneath the side covers for the parcel shelf and a cut slot in the covers, hole just infront of the rear wheel arch and a hole or 2 holes in the middle of the base of the rear seat just inside the boot area.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks, that's really helpful stuff. I don't have a useful photo at the moment, only this one.

But I have removed the front passenger seat already and the original mounting points and runners for the fronts still appear to be as normal, so the fronts should be easy.

I'm not sure about the back, I'll go and have a look - but the cage is just a bolt in, so I can't imagine they will have removed anything but I'll see just in case.

As far as seatbelts go:
- buckles: The fronts are attached to the seats, but the rear buckles are separate / attached to the chassis?
- belts: Can you buy these nowadays? Do I need to find someone breaking stuff or can you get new E-marked ones?

Thanks!
5726321242a08.jpg

Back to the top

Back to the top
those are corrado seats, they'll fit but the front slider handles are on the wrong sides, since the height adjust handles are also on the front you can swap em so its a case of flip the lock pin with your finger to slide seats.

with the front belts you got early and late type, if you need late type to match the corrado seats you can get em from mk1 cabrio. either that or you can swap the seat stalks over to early type to match tintop seatbelts they are bolted on

at the back the buckles and belts are all bolted to the shell so can be swapped either way. the cabby belts are no good if you want 3 bolt rear belts as they're only lap belts, but scirocco or mk2 golf ones might work if you wanted late style

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
thanks for the info John! Very helpful

Back to the top
So, I understand that mk2 golf FRONT seats will fit into my mk1...but what about the rear bench?

Back to the top
rears are different, people have swapped mk2 foams+fabrics to mk1 frame with success I believe?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
No worries, that's fine. I'll be taking the easy way by buying mk1 rears :)

Ok, so on the shopping list:
- mk1 fronts with mk1 belts OR mk2 fronts with mk2 belts
- mk1 3 door tintop rears with belts

…good luck to me!
1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.