Skip navigation

Interior cardboard - where does this piece go?

Back to the top
My 1990 Cabriolet came with a bag of bits. I've managed to work out what all of them were apart from this one. I presume it's a piece of interior trim, but where does it go?

Thanks!

Back to the top
Never seen one of those before?

But if I had to hazard a guess I'd say under the drivers side dash. That big cutout looks perfect to go around the underside of the steering column.

1992 MK1 Golf GTi Rivage - Classic Blue Metallic - Long term project
1991 MK1 Golf GTi Rivage - Classic Green Pearl - Sold

Back to the top

MrP said

Never seen one of those before?

But if I had to hazard a guess I'd say under the drivers side dash. That big cutout looks perfect to go around the underside of the steering column.

Yep, it looks like that's where it's from. The only problem is that it doesn't appear possible to fit it into position with the knee bar trim in place. I think it must've been removed and not replaced when an alarm was fitted.

Back to the top
Does it not just sit in place? Similar to the fusebox cover? Resting on the underside of the knee bar?

Back to the top

Yes, it's the same as the fuse box cover, but it looks like it has to go in before the knee bar. I don't think it's possible to get what is the bottom right corner above (which is the bit that sits nearest the gear stick) under the knee bar.

Back to the top
Hmmmm. Might be for a tintop?

Well if you have no luck and want to sell it, you have a buyer here. I love stuff like this! 

Back to the top
Yes it fits underneath the drives side dash, just above the pedals, the 2 bits of felt are where the clips go and there should be 2 metal slots/clips on the bulk head to hold it up at the back.
I have one fitted on my 1988 Cabriolet and it's been there since new.
I'll try and post up some pictures.  

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Some pictures.
Card fits this way, dropped on to the floor.

See the plastic clip at the side and metal slot/clip on the bulk head in the carpet.

Plastic clip on knee bar and again metal slot/clip on bulk head.

Close up of metal slot/clip.

Card fitted.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Damn it! I need one of these now!  :lol:

Back to the top

Thanks - that's really helpful.

It looks from the bottom two pics that the knee bar is fitted after the cardboard. Is that right? I can't see how it's possible to get the card in the right position without bending/ breaking it when the knee bar cover is there.

Back to the top
No it just bends in there not need to remove any other bits of trim, the pictures I took last night are the wrong way round really , I pictures the card in place then removed it, more pictures and then placed it back in, takes a couple of seconds to remove it and place beck in.
You fit the end nearest the centre consul then bend it to fit around the pedal and into the fixings, mine has bent over time as you can see the picture of it placed on the floor.

Back to the top

Finally got round to fitting this back into position. It took me more than a couple of seconds but wasn't too difficult. Thanks for the help!

Back to the top
Glad you managed to fit it, you will find as it gets older and bends a bit more like mine it will get easier to remove if needed, when my accelerator cable kept popping off the pedal when driving I was a dab hand at pulling the card out and refitting it at the side of the road, since fitted a Mk2 golf accelerator bush and not had that problem in a couple of years.

1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.