Skip navigation

anyone know how to get over 02m box issues???

Back to the top
Im in the process of researching a pd conversion

Starters i have a bora with pd engine in with a 6 speed 02m box also

Id like to use the box aswell as the engine in the mk1 conversion

I know that ppl say that these boxes are heavy and what not, but ive seen this box fitted before so dnt bother telling me how hard theyll be to fit and i.e how heavy and custom driveshafts etc etc

All i want to know is if anyone knows how to get over the electronic speedo situation with using the mk1 clocks?

Anyone have any ideas

Thanks dan

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top
I've looked into this a bit. I have a PD130 with 02m in my mk1.

The best I could find was an American company that has a gadget that converts the electronic signal into an output on an electric motor that you then connect to the back of the mechanical speedo with a speedo cable. Once fitted you calibrate it to suit your wheel/tyre size etc.
Unfortunately they are really expensive.

http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm

The Red Rocket! My Mk1 Tdi Build.....

My VAG family:

1982 Mk1, PD130 Tdi, 6 speed, ongoing project, to be my daily driver (one day)!
1983 Mk1, 1.8 Gti, stripped out, ongoing project, track car only.
1990 Mk1 Cabrio, 1.8 8v Turbo, G60 ECU, long term project (17 years so far)!
2008 T5 LWB, 1.9 Tdi, to be converted to camper when I've finished using it as a van!
1999 Audi A4 Avant Quattro, 2.5 Tdi, currently off the road, more work required.
2010 Tiguan R-Line, daily driver. 

Back to the top
This is why i love forums!! I wud of never found anything like this elsewhere, 

So how does this work then? 

From the look of it it looks just like a plug and play jobby

Back to the top
Just read through ur thread mate, i saw ur motor before when the other bloke did the build, just wondering how come he changed to the mk4 hubs? Is that so it made it easier for the drive shafts so it kept the same ends? 

Ive seen a few ppl fo this with the 02m boxes and was sure why? 

Cracking build ur carrying on with btw!!! 

Also how come ur going for a tt dash? 

Back to the top
Yeah, from what I could work out;

you fit it up under the dash somewhere with a speedo cable attached running to the original speedo cluster. Connect the wires to power, the speed sensor output on the gearbox and set the switches to the setting to suit your wheel/tyre size.
I would assume you could roughly calculate the required setting and check the accuracy with a GPS/Satnav and adjust as necessary. 

My VAG family:

2008 T5 LWB, 1.9 Tdi, to be converted to camper when I've finished using it as a van!
1999 Audi A4 Avant Quattro, 2.5 Tdi, currently off the road, more work required.

Back to the top

chipster2407 said

Just read through ur thread mate, i saw ur motor before when the other bloke did the build, just wondering how come he changed to the mk4 hubs? Is that so it made it easier for the drive shafts so it kept the same ends? 

Ive seen a few ppl fo this with the 02m boxes and was sure why? 

Cracking build ur carrying on with btw!!! 

Also how come ur going for a tt dash? 

The mk4 hubs have got the ABS connected up. Going for the TT dash as the Bora sport clocks have been used and it just looks wrong in a mk1 dash.

My VAG family:

Back to the top
Ah right i see, so do u know anything urself about the driveshafts then? Also how does the 02m box feel? Its spot on in my bora that one of the reasons why i really wanna use it, also how noisey is it? Vibration wise etc? Ive read a few threads and they say theyre quiet noisey in a mk1

Back to the top

chipster2407 said

Ah right i see, so do u know anything urself about the driveshafts then? Also how does the 02m box feel? Its spot on in my bora that one of the reasons why i really wanna use it, also how noisey is it? Vibration wise etc? Ive read a few threads and they say theyre quiet noisey in a mk1

Sorry, don't have any details on the driveshafts as I got it with them already done. The gearbox feels good and is great for motorway cruising (70mph at about 2100rpm). 1st & 2nd seem a bit low geared and I struggle for traction in anything less than 4th in the wet! There is a lot of torque steer when you put your foot down but you get used to it. It's quite loud as I have no sound proofing at all and a 3" straight through exhaust. The standard engine mounts have probably helped to reduce vibration over a mount conversion kit. The engine/gearbox is heavy for a Mk1 so the front end can be quite 'bouncy'. A decent set of coilovers should sort that assuming they can cope with the weight. 

My VAG family:

1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.